VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am burning home movies onto DVDs using Nero 7 Ultra (Nero Vision 4.9.7.2).

My burner is a Sony dw-g120a

Media is Maxell DVD-R 4.7 GB

After the DVD claims to burn successfully, I can play it in Nero, but not on my living room DVD player (Toshiba SD V-290 multizone player).

I tried going back to Nero Vision and doing "finalize", but then I get "media not supported".

I bought the full-blown Nero because a lite version came with the player so I assumed there should be no compatibility issues.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    [/b]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to DVD burning maze.
    The problem is most likely Maxell DVD, because not all standalone players will play all media types.
    Most people use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden disks. You will just have to find out what your player will accept.
    Disk produced by Nero is finalized already.
    Computer will play anything (most of the times), but standalone are different story.
    Also try to burn at 1/2 speed of media rating, sometime it works.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I've never got Nero vision to create a DVD directly that has worked.
    What I do is make Vision create the files on the HD and then burn to DVD using Nero Rom burning.

It's worth checking that you haven't inadvertently allowed Nero to create a non-standard Disk
    In Nero 7 Rom Burning pressing F7 to bring up the compilation properties
    In the ISO tab make sure that none of the relaxations are checked since in my experience any of them makes the DVD unplayable on a stand alone player.

The other thing I've found is that using DVD+R media and setting the book type to DVD-ROM seems to produce disks which are more likely to play in my stand-alones but hat may simply be coincidence
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I no longer have the original files. Is there a way I can take the DVDs I have burnt, and burn new ones from them - on different media or with different settings - that will work OK?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by outhwaar
    I no longer have the original files. Is there a way I can take the DVDs I have burnt, and burn new ones from them - on different media or with different settings - that will work OK?

If they play on your pc just rip the contents to your HDD and burn them onto better media (Verbatim) with ImgBurn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by outhwaar
    Have ever been able to play a burn in your player? Can you try your burn in someone else's player?

You could open your disc in DVDShrink just to see if it accepts it without error (just as a structure test). You could then follow Noahtuck's advice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot. I'll try these ideas and get back to you. I have three small kids running around the room, so it may take me a day or two...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open NERO's burning module and select DVD-VIDEO,in the ISO tab make sure the character set is ISO 9660. In the Relax restrictions box uncheck all. That should make your burns standalone compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, several of these suggestions involve using the Nero Burning module. Remember, I'm new at this. All I know how to do is use Nero Vison in a fairly straightforward way. How do I have Nero Vision create the files but not burn them? How do I use the burnong module to burn the crated files?

Sorry if this is basic.

Thanks so much for all the responses.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to buy some Verbatim disks. Would you recommend DVD-R or DVD+R? (My burner claims to work with both)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go into Windows Explorer,open Program Files,Ahead,Nero. In Nero you'll find Nero.exe,shortcut that file,it opens the burning module.
    Quote Quote