VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Just wanted some help playing a PAL disc. I have a Toshiba upconverting DVD player (D-R400) hooked up to a Samsung LCD TV (LNT5265F). When I play a PAL disc the video appears jerky, when I play a NTSC disc, however, the video is smooth. I know the dvd player supports NTSC and PAL but I'm not sure about the TV. Is there anyway to fix the jerky video with PAL discs? Maybe there is a setting I could change?

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anyone? Or if you can point me to a site where there might be some info?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Describe "jerky". Is it completely unwatchable?
    The player may very well "support" PAL....in a PAL country(meaning it is outputting a PAL signal)....you need it to output an NTSC signal via the player converting PAL to NTSC on the fly.
    You need to do some research to find out if this player indeed does convert between the two formats. You can also check in the players menu for an "output" setting/option.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54
    Describe "jerky". Is it completely unwatchable?
    The player may very well "support" PAL....in a PAL country(meaning it is outputting a PAL signal)....you need it to output an NTSC signal via the player converting PAL to NTSC on the fly.
    You need to do some research to find out if this player indeed does convert between the two formats. You can also check in the players menu for an "output" setting/option.
    Hey hech54,

The video is watchable but is slightly jerky as the picture freezes for a few ms every second. It gets annoying after a while.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the typical result of a player that can't perform PAL to NTSC very well. The only solution, is to get a player with good PAL to NTSC conversion.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote