VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, I've run into a strange issue.

When converting movies with canopus, I choose DVD-NTSC as the target and I leave the default settings as is, and convert it to MPEG-2 Elementary Stream to use with DVD Lab Pro.
    Bitrate is set to 6000 CBR 1 pass.

The problem is, all my movies that I encode get cut off at around the 1hr35min 27sec mark. So if the movie is longer than that, the m2v file just stops at that point of the film.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a source file issue. What is the source? Something you made, or some unknown download?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. The source files are downloaded, however this happens with EVERY file I try to convert. It's really odd that EVERY file would have this problem, and cut off RIGHT at that 1:35:27 mark each and every time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Low bitrate of video to 5000.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok will try that and report back.

Thanks Roma
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe 4GB filesize limit of a FAT32 formatted drive??

Trev
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe 4GB filesize limit of a FAT32 formatted drive??
    That was the first thing that came to mind when I read the post
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you TJons+gunslinger....this is what I'm thinking as well.

A few questions about this:

1)Is there a way of finding out what type of file system I have on my drives?

2)If I use one drive for the temporary folder, and another drive for the final save...do both of the drives have to be NTFS in order for this to work properly with files over 4gbs?

3)Is it possible to convert my drive from fat to ntfs without having to format and lose everything? If so, will there be any adverse effects?

Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive and select Properties.

2. Yes. if you are working with files over 4GB, you need to go to NTFS on all the drives those files might be written to.

3. Yes, you can convert to NTFS. Windows has a tool to do it called - convert. It is a command line only tool. I suggest that you defrag the drive after running it. You should see some improved performance after converting, as well as new security options on shared drives and better fault tolerance. The only downside is if you dual-boot to 95/98, in which case those OS's will not be able to read the drives.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks again gunslinger!

I found my problem. My main drives ARE infact NTFS, however I was saving the videos to my external USB Hard Drive which is FAT. I know not to do that anymore

Last question. What bitrate do you normally use when authoring single and dual layer DVDs in order to fit movies on them?

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Universal law : Size = running time x bitrate

Use a bitrate calculator, enter your running time and a little overhead for menus if you have them, and it will tell you the bitrate to use.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote