VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I am intending to buy my first semi-pro digital video camera very soon, after a few years of 'handycam' hell (JVC £250 machine is great for home videos, hardly useable to make movies).

Question is, if I have around £1000 to £2000 to spend... which camera should get my money?

Only real requirement:-

* Best possible quality - absolute priority

I have heard of the Canon XL1, in that it is a very popular and efficient camera of its price range. Checking Ebay, I see I can get a second hand model for around $400 - £500.

What extra benefits go with the Canon XL2 at a much bigger price? Is there any real advantage to forking out and extra couple of thousand for a new XL2... or will a 2nd hand XL1 do the job for me provided it is of course in excellent condition?

Some people mention Panasonic as a choice model of camera in this price range... anyone own one and able to comment?

Some technical advice would be appreciated, as well as feedback from owners of cameras.

Thanks very much.

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm very happy with the Sony DSR-PDX10 that I got off eBay for about $1100 (including a bunch of accessories).

Not sure how available the PAL version is (PDX10P).
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out www.camcorderinfo.com for reviews, info etc. that will give you loads to help you decide.

A couple of years ago I was in the same position, read loads (including the above site) and went for a Canon XM2.

If you're getting a decent cam of any brand, you'll also need a tripod, a decent microphone (if not more than one for different situations), and find somewhere that hires out lights. I often get these: http://www.tasmanav.com.au/hire/product_detail.asp?catID=5&productID=11
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote