VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just an idea for thought. Wouldn't it be cool if we had specific software forums or subforums? It seems like there are hundreds of pages of threads on the software and it would be cool to have something dedicaded to the more popular editing software. That way you can ask questions specific to the one you're using? Whatchu think?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    strulag, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz

I'll let others answer your questions about adding forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can read about Vegas and learn something new about Adobe Premiere. The thing about software is lots of concepts overlap so much that it's almost better to categorize by topic (as it is now) rather than exact software.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with lordsmurf. It's the processes and problem solving that matter. The similarities between the packages are such that a problem solved on one (Vegas) will have a similar process/solution on another one (Ulead, Premiere, etc.)

This way, advice for "Problem A" is helpful to everyone, instead of just the people using "Package B".

Besides... a simple search will get you close to the exact stuff you want, as well as the TOOLS section where you can select guides for THAT TOOL.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not talking about general concepts. And I'm not saying to change it. Just to add maybe subforums or something like that. I'm talking about if you have software specific questions. How you do a certain thing in a certain software or if you're even able to do it. Or what does that button for a certain comand look like, how do you change a certain effect, etc...I know the simpler software (ex Pinnacle) is almost self explanatory but some others are pretty complex (Adobe) and having such subforums targets those users that have experience with that particular software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen the type of layout you are describing in other forums, and I understand the merits you perceive. There is an enormous amount of information here, and for a new comer it can be daunting to sift through. However, having been here a while I must admit to being constantly impressed by the way most questions get answered quickly, with good advice, by the people who usually know a topic best. Yes, there is also a reasonable amount of irrelevant and occasionally completely wrong information as well, but changing the structure won't remove that. Generally, incorrect advice is addressed equally as quickly.

The longer serving members patrol all the forums to which they can best assist pretty diligently, and few queries go unanswered for long.

And hats off to the mods, who are equally diligent in moving posts to the appropriate forums to ensure the questions do get seen and answered. Adding more forums will only make their life harder. Is the question too specific for the general forum, or too general for the sub-forum ?

I see why it could be good, but while we regularly have posts starting out with "I didn't know which forum to put this in . . . . ", adding more seems like asking for trouble.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt that people will be confused on where to post or to look in a forum named "Adobe Premier Support", "Pinnacle Support", etc...It's just an idea though up for debate. I'm not trying to push the issue. Plus I'm new to these video forums so maybe with more experience I'll come to the same conclusion
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by strulag
    I doubt that people will be confused on where to post or to look in a forum named "Adobe Premier Support", "Pinnacle Support", etc...It's just an idea though up for debate. I'm not trying to push the issue. Plus I'm new to these video forums so maybe with more experience I'll come to the same conclusion
    You'll find many of those companies have their own active forums. Eg
    Adobe Premiere. There are some small-scale developers, especially shareware or freeware, who make their homes here or at Doom9 though.
    Quote Quote