VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a script that allows me to schedule a recording from my TV-card. When the recording is done, the script continues with authoring the recording and burning it to DVD (using growisofs). What I would rather do is burn the DVD on the fly, just like a stand alone DVD recorder.
    I did some research and found out that such a recorder uses a format called DVD+VR (containing among others .VRO files), which can be 'finalized' to make it compatible to VIDEO-DVD (with VOB files).

I could not find any reference to linux tooling that allows to format a DVD this way, or that allows some other way to burn a recording to DVD on the fly (only commercial windows products).

Due to the nature of this task, I imagine that the dvd needs to be formatted with UDF filesystem first, and that somehow the video is written using some form of packet writing. There must be something additional though to keep track of what video is on the disc already (some table of contents), and there must be tooling to 'finalize' the disc to make it compatible with stand alone DVD players.

Does anyone know how this can be done ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately for you, I have never heard of this even being possible in the Windows world, so you don't have a chance with Linux. I work in IT for a living and while I am no fan at all of Windows, I can tell you that even though I work as a Unix system administrator, I run Windows at home on my PCs because everything I want to do with audio and video is really really easy with Windows and really really painful in Linux.

I have only heard of standalone DVD recorders that can record in DVD+VR format. I don't know of any PC applications that can record in this format. If you know of a Windows product that can do this, I'd be interested to know what it is. I have no desire to use it, but I've never heard of this being possible under Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just one example:

CyberLink PowerProducer 4 (http://de.cyberlink.com/multi/products/popcompare_3_DEU.html)

A few days ago I also found a product of Ulead, but I don't remember what exactly.

I party agree with you on your statement on linux/windows. Windows definitely has some more user friendly tools, that can be handled by people that even don't need to know the differerence between PAL and NTSC. On the other hand, they limit you to the possibilities of what the tools offer.

With scriptable open source tools, it takes much longer to understand them and to make your firsts recording editing, but afterwards, it is adaptable to whatever you like.

Maybe you are right there is no linux DVD+VR, as it seems to be a Philips developed industry standard, so maybe the needed information is not out there (I am stuck at wikipedias description 'the disc contains a UDF file system, bridged with ISO 9660'. What does that mean ?

Maybe I should broaden the question: does anyone know about DVD-VR authoring / writing software in linux ?
    Quote Quote