VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This question is so newbie(ish) that I dont think it could be found on the forum.

My question is this: When I buy a media pc will it be compatible with DirectTV HD reciever? I opted for the just the HD reciever not the DVR HD reciever because the DVR HD recievers are backordered for 6 months. I have heard Comcast isnt media pc friendly but I havent heard about DirectTV.

Also when I say "compatible" I mean will I be able to record tv shows and movies in HD to my media pc with the basic DirectTV HD reciever? Also is the GUI easy to control and understand (like for my wife)....is something similar to DirectTV's GUI?

Also any recommandations for a media pc would be greatly appreciated. I have a brand new 50 inch Phillips plasma, I would like to be able to record show and play some video games once and a while on it.

*runs and hides*

-Lou
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by favek

when I say "compatible" I mean will I be able to record tv shows and movies in HD to my media pc with the basic DirectTV HD reciever?
    -Lou
    They will do everything in their power to prevent you from doing this, i.e. record HD programming on anything but their approved DVR equipment. Exception may be local DTV channels via the IEEE-1394 port. I'm not sure if DirecTV is bound by the FCC ruling for cable.

By "they" I mean the Hollywood-Gov't consortium and DirecTV because they have to.

Comcast's proposal is to let the MCE remote control their 3412/6412 DVR boxes so long as the HD path to the monitor has full HDCP protection.

Microsoft and Intel would prefer the DVR be implemented inside the computer but must convince-sell the rights owners on content protection schemes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It will be compaible as a SD unless you can find a media center HD card that can take HDMI or Component inputs. The DirecTV HD receiver only outputs Sd over the coax and HD only over HDMI or Component.

If I were you and wanted HD DVR I'd get the HR-20 now that the worst of the bugs are swatted and OTA tuner ability is enabled. Last time I was in Best Buy for example they had them for sale so I'm not sure where you are hearing 6 months from.

Go to http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112 this being the HR-20 forum and read all the pros and cons. They are finally getting it whipped into shape and if I were not a Dishnetwork HD DVR user then maybe.... OTOH Mine, a VIP622, has been stable since I got it and has more HD channels as of this point in time. DirecTv says 2007 they'll have more to be totally fair. Time will tell
    Quote Quote