VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Yesterday, I download and install the trial version of AnyDVD (valid for 21 days) to see if it works. Then I was playing a solitaire game and suddenly my system pops up a message saying AnyDVD is trying to access the Internet and ask me if I want to allow it. Of course I say NO because I don't know what kind of my personal data will be sent over the Internet.
    I do not mind to access the Internet to register (and pay the registration fee) but I do not like any installed software to automatically connect to the Web without me initiating it.

Any comment on this ?
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably checking to see if you have the latest version installed.
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    U don't like it, but everybody do this nowadays. That's what firewalls are for.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jsmithepa
    That's what firewalls are for.
    Exactly!!

Also if you look around MOST programs have a setting somewhere where you can turn this option off!!
    It's the first thing i do whenever i instal any new program, if there is not this option my firewall catches it and i set it to never allow that program to connect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don['t use AnyDVD, but I believe it's an auto-update/anti-copying measure from what I've read on afterdawn.com. You should disable this feature from within the program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by CrayonEater
    I don['t use AnyDVD, but I believe it's an auto-update/anti-copying measure from what I've read on afterdawn.com. You should disable this feature from within the program.
    Nope...

Slysoft releases an update to the software sometimes on a weekly basis to bypass the latest techniques that the entertainment industry uses on the dvd's. There is no harm in checking for updates.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To turn off auto checking for updates, select 'Settings', Click on 'Program Settings' and uncheck 'Automatically check for new AnyDVD version'.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for all the replies, that make me feel a lot better. I am just pananoid about spyware that leaks my personal info on the Web.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote