VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the panasonic DMR-EX85 and have also tried this on the DMR-ES25 with the same results.
    Basically, as the manual says, you can only record a 16:9 source onto a dvd-ram disk and will playback as a proper anamorphic 16:9 picture. Record on any other type of disk OR it's hard disk and it goes on as a 4x3 picture.
    The odd thing about this is that if you playback the recorded 4x3 image (originally a 16:9 source) then it does actually display the correct aspect ratio ONLY if you set the TV to display the full image, and by this I don't mean 16:9 or 4x3 or even automatic, but FULL (panasonic TV's have this option).

Now I don't want to keep changing the aspect ratio of my TV from automatic just to display DVD's I have recorded. As I said earlier this would not be a problem if I use dvd-ram disks all the time as the auto function will automatically display them correctly.
    SO, anyone out ther know what I can use and how to amend a recorded image on my pc so that it can recognise automatically a 16:9 dvd-r ? ifoedit ? ulead movie factory v5 ?
    obviously I don't mind ripping the dvd onto my hard disk and sorting it out and burning back onto another dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can change from aspect ratio in DVD from 4:3 to 16:9 in VobBlanker.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just tried that (i'm not the original poster, but I was about to post the same question) and it didn't work.

I have a DVD I recorded from SCI-FI channel and it was originally a 16:9 picture inside a 4:3 frame. (Eureka) When I changed the aspect ratio as shown above I get a 16:9 picture, but the black bars at the top and bottom are encoded along with the picture so I still end up with the same problem. What I need to do is find a way to cut off the black bars entirely so the 16:9 picture fills the entire screen. My TV doesn't have a zoom feature that will do that for me at all.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by nova828
    I just tried that (i'm not the original poster, but I was about to post the same question) and it didn't work.

I have a DVD I recorded from SCI-FI channel and it was originally a 16:9 picture inside a 4:3 frame. (Eureka) When I changed the aspect ratio as shown above I get a 16:9 picture, but the black bars at the top and bottom are encoded along with the picture so I still end up with the same problem. What I need to do is find a way to cut off the black bars entirely so the 16:9 picture fills the entire screen. My TV doesn't have a zoom feature that will do that for me at all.
    You need crop black bars and reencode to 16:9 mpeg2
    Quote Quote  
  5. it's beginning to be a bit of a headache and I am really surprised this is not a mjaor concern with many people. This is how the machine works - who has head of such crap. recording a 16x9 image as 4x3....I mean come on, eeryone should be up in arms and slagging this machine instead of praising it's picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There are some DVD recorders that allow you to manually set the AR flag to 16:9 prior to recording (certain Toshiba and Sony units come to mind). However, changing the AR flag after the fact is just as effective... just a little more time consuming. I use Restream to do this. I usually do some trimming and re-authoring of my DVD recordings on the computer anyway, so this added step is no big deal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would have to disagree with that comment - it's extra work un-necessary.

I didn't know that sony/toshiba were better at handling the AR.

I am just so surprised in ALL the reviews I have read about this player and worse of all, peoples comments on this particular player (and there have been quite a few) NO ONE has mention this small, but very important fact. Do people think it makes them look intelligent having to switch the AR of their TV to accomate viewing a recorded tv program ?

My tv is normally set to automaticly switch to w/s mode when the signal comes through various channels on my tv and watching a dvd, BUT I am supposed to switch the AR when watching something recorded from this player (even though it was originally widescreen) - absolutley ludicrous !! I had copied something from my dv camera recently onto the HD and that maintained the correct ratio (!), but it seems tv channels do not. furthermore if I wanted to burn the dv image from the hd to a disk - I then lose the AR.....WHAT CAN I SAY !
    Quote Quote