VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've played around with pretty much every regular MPEG-4 Video Codec and though I was skeptical of AVC when it first came out it looks like things are heading that way so I figure I better get hip to the scene, I've tried H.264 in QT Pro but that application is flakier than Grandma's apple pie crust, MPEG Streamclip is better but I wasn't liking the quality even with 2-Pass, So long story shorter, I downloaded x264 to try in VirtualDub, I did a test clip and the 2-pass Quality was impressive but when I tried muxing it in YAMB with my .m4a audio the muxing failed!? I use YAMB with great success with 3ivX, XViD, and DivX but using the same routine with x264 is a no go. Other than changing for 2-Pass I used the default settings in x264. I'd appreciate any guidance, but I would prefer to continue using VirtualDub if possible. Thanks

PS, These files are to be used with an iPod so any quality enhancing suggestions would also be welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mp4box has work arounds to handle avi/VfW MPEG-4 Part 2 (3ivX, etc.) but not AVC. You need to demux the video first to a raw .264 stream or better yet don't use x264 VfW. If you want to get the best out of x264 you need to use the cli encoder.

For iPod encodes you need to be careful since they only support a limited feature set. Also iTunes won't upload 640x480 AVC encodes unless they are flagged as encoded with qt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks c_d!
    I'll give MEGUI a go. Bummer that Apple is being so tight-assed with the new higher resolution stuff. Matter of time I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well mp4box should be updated soon so you can remux for ipod compatibility. Other option is to use something other than iTunes to upload. Appears that the limit is only in iTunes. iPod's don't care. Still a stupid move by Apple to try a lock people to their software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    celtic_druid,
    Did a 2-pass encode with MeGUI last night using the existing 320x240 resolution, messed with the profile and level managed to get a iPod friendly file 1st time through . The avs script creator is a real benefit to my script-challenged brain, definitely not a noob program but intuitive enough, I was wondering if there is a noticeable benefit from 3-pass encoding, The file I've done is the best AVC quality I've seen so far, but it isn't a whole lot visually better (on TV Out) than some of the DivX 6.2.5 "Extreme Quality" 1 Pass CQ stuff I've done, I realize the new 640x480 will be far better when it's figured out, it looks like the ffmpegX people are there already. I appreciate your help so far, this forum can be a great source of info in between the preschool tantrums!
    Quote Quote