VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having problems with my audio. I'm using AVI2DVD and whenever I change an avi file into a dvd file the audio gets shortened by half or more. What should I do? If you need more info just ask.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would drop it into Gspot 2.52 and check the file information. If you see MP3 VBR audio, you should extract out the audio as a WAV and use that in your encoder, along with the original video.

To extract with VirtualDub: http://members.dodo.net.au/~jimmalenko/ExtractAudio.htm If you see AC3, you can demux the audio and put it back in when authoring.

If that's not the problem, post a Gspot 2.52 screen shot of the file: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=271697 Blank out the title if you like.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did everything that VirtualDub said but I dont know how to add audio to AVI2DVD. Do I need to use the program(project wizard) they show in the tutorial?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't used AVI2DVD, but you can also mux it back in with the video in VirtualDub. If AVI2DVD can work with the WAV, use that. Or use a MP3 CBR file. (Assuming you found VBR audio)

In VD with the AVI selected, go to 'Audio' and click on 'WAV audio'. Select your new WAV. You should be able to use 'Direct stream copy'. Under 'Video', select 'Direct stream copy' also. Then save the file with a new name. Or you can convert it to MP3 CBR by selecting the WAV as before, then 'Full processing' and under 'Compression', select 'MPEG Layer 3' and pick the same rate as the original audio, probably '48kBit/s 24,000 Hz, Stereo.' This will encode the audio to MP3 VBR and combine it with the video. Under 'Video', select 'Direct stream copy', as before. That should give you a new file when you save it with the old video and the new MP3.

I usually do this with VDMod, so hopefully I have all that right. Some encoders like TMPGEnc can accept separate video and audio streams and this becomes a little easier.

Another option to throw out there is using the extracted WAV and run it through ffmpeggui and convert it to AC3. Then you can add that back in when you author to DVD. AC3 is very efficient and also a very compatible format for DVD creation. You can also mux it back in with VirtualDub.

As an alternative, you might try ConvertXToDVD or the older freeware version, DivxToDVD as it can most of the time handle VBR audio. Not many MPEG encoders can. If you end up with VBR audio often, you may have to do this whole process more than once.

Another member that uses AVI2DVD might be able to give you some tips about it and converted audio.
    Quote Quote