VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone witnessed the attached flaw when recording on a Panasonic DVD recorder?

I have had this on both a DMR-E20 and newer DMR-E55 when using the flexible recording mode.

I have not seen it using any of the fixed recording modes - i.e. 1, 2, or 4 hour modes.

I suspect it is not a disc error, as I have had it happen using Panasonic, Maxell and Fuji DVD-RAM media.

fu_d_screen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen this. The disc does not play back very well on anything other than the DVD recorder. Flexible recordings BY PANASONIC (they have a special definition for it, unlike most others) is crappy and I'd never use it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. That is pretty awful, yet I have made more than 600 disks with flexible recording mode and never seen anything resembling that on an ES10 and ES30V which are three generations old. They have been replaced by the ES20 and ES40V which have been replaced by the ES15 and ES35V. Does the E20 not predate the E55? I think the E55 preceded the ES10 so these machines go back at least four generations.

The last three generations all sport different encoders. The ES10 encoder ran so cool it did not require any heat sinking, Gshelley61 reported the the next generation used an LSI encoder, and the latest generation has an encoder with Panasonic's name but it runs hot like the LSI encoder and requires substantial heatsinking.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can avoid that problem by setting "Hybrid VBR Resolution" to "fixed".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AngusMacGyver
    You can avoid that problem by setting "Hybrid VBR Resolution" to "fixed".
    Yeah, that's it. I could not remember what it was called. Change this.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is in "Setup", "Video", page 36 of the E55 manual,

In the ES10 and newer models, the 3-D Y/C and Hybrid VBR Resolution settings are eliminated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't there a sticky, in one of the forums, giving the recommended settings for Panasonic recorders? I remember seeing it a while ago. I inherited an E20 about a year and a half ago, followed the recommendations in the sticky, and have never had a screen like this one. I always use the flexible recording mode (but never for more than 2 hrs and 20 minutes- I remember that from the sticky too).

Matt
    edit: DUH, just looked. It's right at the top of this forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help - I'd been sticking to 1 or 2 hour mode, hadn't really given thought to digging through the setup (as original); just hadn't recorded anything longer than 2 hours for quite awhile.
    Quote Quote