VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay, this is by far the best way I have found to convert WMV3 contained in an AVI to AVI. But it ain't free.

You need the following software:
    FFMpegX (free)
    WMV3 Server, web address http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Bay/8128/
    (free)
    Quicktime Pro (duh!)
    Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro (or it might be Studio...got to check) (pricey...)

1. extract audio from source file using ffmpeg
    2. run wmv server (a screen will popup with open, start, stop, on it; open your file, click start)
    3. when wmv server says server started or server running or something like that go to your home folder in the HD and copy temp.asf to your Desktop (or where ever)
    4. You now have a video file and an audio file. Install Flip4Mac and Export temp.asf through quicktime as an avi.
    5. Open ffmpegx and under the tools tab multiplex (mux) your avi and your mp3!
    6. Yeah!

The video and audio quality is second to none. If you want to concert WMV to AVI, you can follow these same steps except you can extract audio with something like EasyWMA and you won't need WMV3 server.

Have fun.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a video, a WMV3, that plays in QuickTime Pro but will not file>export to another format. I have tried all of the recommended solutions offered in this topic. I have downloaded ffmpegX, WMV3Server, and even VisualDub and OSS Video Converter (trial) for Windows running in my Virtual PC. I have purchased Mac QuickTime 7.0.4 Pro and Flip4Mac WMV Import. Will I need to buy Flip4Mac WMV Studio? I tried FfmpegX with added mpeg2enc and mencoder to no avail (can't get any files to convert to anything in ffmpegX).

Is there any hope I will be able to export this WMV3 file to a QuickTime movie format that iMovie can read or that Toast Titanium 7.0.2 will burn to a DVD?

I appreciate any suggestions. I'm on a G4 OS 1.3.9.
    Don in D.C.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your message isn't specific enough. Is the export not clickable? Is there an error message?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The file plays (both the video and audio tracks) in QuickTime Pro. However, under the File menu within QuickTime (QT) Pro, the Export option is grayed out and is inaccessible.

With other video file formats, within QT Pro I can File>Export>Save as "Title" Movie to QuickTime Movie. This is the first file format I have encountered where the QT Export option is not available. I've imported lots of other WMV movies, and Flip4Mac Import has allowed me to export them to other formats within QT Pro that iMovie and Toast Titanium 7 will import and burn.

However, with this WMV3 file, the File>Export option is grayed out and unavailable. On this topic thread, I've read that WMV3 files require conversion methods other than QT Pro and Flip4Mac Import. I've tried downloading some of those other suggested conversion programs, but they haven't worked.

I forget to mention that I even downloaded iSquint converter and it wouldn't recognize the WMV3 file either.

VLC Media Player shows an error message that, in part, states:

main error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
    main debug: killing decoder fourcc `WMV3', 0 PES in FIFO

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Don in D.C.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How big is the file? I have a 2gig mailbox, so if you send it to me I can possibly convert it. I am no expert on the topic. The only time my export box has been grayed out is when the movie hasn't fully imported in quicktime ( as indicated by the gray status bar.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The file is 10.4 MB, somewhat large to send via e-mail. The file definitely fully imports into my QT, and plays both the Video and the Audio tracks (format Windows Media listed in the movie properties). In QT, the only time my export option in QT Pro has been grayed out is with this file. All other file types have been exportable. This is probably the first WMV3 file I have run across.

Question: what version of Flip4Mac do you have, Import, Studio, Studio Pro, or Studio Pro HD? I bought Flip4Mac Import.

Have you seen this online? This procedure has not worked for me. I have the codec installed in my library/QT. Note the paragraph that states it will not work on the newer WMV3 files. I haven't gotten ffmpegX to work for me at all:

CONVERT A WMV TO QUICKTIME WITH FLIP4MAC

Flip4Mac offers the only software for Mac which can convert WMV3.

HOW TO CONVERT A WMV OR ASF FILE TO QUICKTIME WITH FFMPEGX

This is one way I have done it several times. It is a bit involved, as the audio and video tracks needs to handled separately.

It will not work with the newer WMV3 encoded WMV files (for Microsoft Media Player 8 or newer). File Juicer will identify wmv3 files with giving them a ".3.wmv" extension.

• Get ffmpegX.

• Get mplayer, mencoder and mpeg2enc which ffmpeg needs. Follow the instructions built into ffmpegX.

• On Tiger you may need to manually create directories with the Terminal application to do the step above

sudo mkdir /usr/local/share
    and
    sudo mkdir /Library/Application\ Support/ffmpegX

• Get the 3ivx codec (free for testing purposes) for QuickTime and install it. It comes with an uninstaller too, but it is just a QuickTime plugin which is put in /Library/QuickTime.

• Drop the WMV on ffmpegX and convert it to AVI/DivX as it suggests. This will play in Movie Player without audio.

• Now convert the same WMV to mp3 - just flip the destination format to mp3, and convert.

• If you get this far and have separated audio and video working - get Quicktime Pro.

• Open both the mp3 and the AVI file and select all the audio, and copy it.

• Use QuickTime Pro's "add to selection and scale".

• Save in the QuickTime format of your choice. The 3G mobile phone format or h264 has a good chance of getting the file size down to the original WMV without loosing too much quality. WMV is a variant of MPEG4 so if you save as MPEG4 you may need to save the file a little larger not to compromise quality

http://echoone.com/filejuicer/formats/formats.php?f=wmv

What a complicated procedure, just for a one-minute video!

At any rate, to answer your question, I would like for you to give the file a try, but I must tell you, it is an adult video downloaded from the Web. It's not so much that I am compelled to convert this particular file. I just want to be able to convert any file type and format. I hate to run up against a brick wall, as I have with the WMV3 file format.

If an adult file doesn't work for you, Ulyseesm90, that’s OK.

The answer may lie in the fact that you have a file converter I don’t have? Perhaps you have a different codec for QT pro I don't know about? Perhaps you are running Tiger vs. my Panther 10.3.9? Finally, I would like to know if you have ffmpegX working, and, if so, what’s your secret?

Thanks.
    Don in D.C.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think I figured out your problem. I don't know exactly what my Flip 4mac is called (player, studio, etc.) but I think it is studio. Anyway, with only an import plugin, there is no way to export. I searched my hardrive and found different install packages for both operations. So exporting WMV3 needs both WMV Import and Export, which comes in studio.

I've never had any problem with FFmpegx. I'm on 10.3.9, and my ffmpeg is version 0.0.9s.

Yes, looking in my Quicktime components, I have 3ivx, but there are two seperate compentes for flip4mac: wMv import.component and wmv export .component.

And I'm sorry, but I can't take adult video right now.

Hope it helps
    Quote Quote  
  8. WMV Player Pro should do the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem about the file. I am trying to determine which version of Flip4Mac you have. I bought the $29 Import version. The next version up is Studio, which I believe is $49.

Before I spend the extra dough, I was wondering if you could send me a WMV3 file that you are able to export in QuickTime Pro to a QT movie format (or something else)? That way I could experiment on your file to see if my WMV Flip4Mac Import will work.

Also, I feel I have done everything the ffmpegX site told me to do, but I cannot get any type of file to convert. They all come out with Zero K and nothing in them, end of file reached, or failed message.

I will check to see if I have the WMV import.component and wmv export.component. Perhaps those come with Studio?

At any rate, are you game for sending me one of your WMV3 files?

Thanks much.
    Don in D.C.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, in my Library>QuickTime folder, I have both the Flip4Mac WMV Import.component and the Flip4Mac WMV Export.component.
    Don in D.C.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any reason why you don't just drop it into toast? Toast can decode a WMV3 file via QT as long as you have flip4mac plugin loaded, even the free version works. Toast can convert to Divx, DVD, SVCD or VCD. I have done this several times without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried dropping it into Toast 7.0.2. I just tried it again. The file goes into Toast and looks like a valid file. I can even select the file and hit edit, video, and the file plays fine inside Toast.

But, when I go to test it, I do a File>Save as Disc Image, and give it a name. A pop up window appears. The error message is:

"Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error. Result code = -2126."

No disc image is burned. I hit the "Ok" button and I'm returned to Toast and the file.

Any ideas as to why Toast won't save the file to a disc image?

Thanks.
    Don in D.C.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a known issue with F4M and certain exports. Try opening the file in QT, copying the whole movie and pasting it into a new file and save. Then try exporting from QT or Toast.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, OmegaSupreme,

Ulyssesm90 sent me a sample WMV3 file. When I opened that sample file in QuickTime, the Export option was not grayed out and I was able to export the file to a QT movie.

At your suggestion, I tried opening my WMV3 file in QT, but the File>Copy feature was grayed out. I selected all, but couldn't "copy" or "paste" it into a new player. However, when I opened the file Ulysses sent me, I could select all, copy it, and paste it into a new player just fine.

My WMV3 file won't let me do that. I'm beginning to wonder if my WMV3 file has been copy protected somehow?

At least now I know that my QT Pro/Flip4Mac Import combo is able to export a WMV3 file. It has now become a major challenge to find out why I can't get my WMV3 file to export, copy or otherwise convert to any other format.

Good suggestion, though, thanks.
    Don in D.C.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I play the sample WMV3 file (that exports) in QT Pro 7.0.4, in Movie Info, it states the Format is Windows Media Audio 9 Standard, Stereo 44,100 kHz, Windows Media Video 9 Standard, 640 x 480, Millions. Under show movie properties, Annotations shows the Windows Media, Video Track, and Audio Track. Resources shows the name of the file and its source. The Audio Settings button has slider options availabe for Volume, Balance, Bass, Treble, and Mute. Under the Presentation button, there are four General buttons and a Movie Controller Type Option select.

However, when I open my problem WMV3 file in QuickTime Pro, the Movie info shows similar information to the exportable sample file, that is, Windows Media Audio 9 Standard, Stereo, 44,100 kHz, Windows Media Video 9 Standard, 320 x 240, Millions.

In the show movie properties, Annotations shows the file name, the Video track, and the Audio track. The Resources button reveals the name and source of the file.

Now the differences start. Under the Audio Settings button, the Volume, Balance, Bass, Treble, and Mute sliders and box are grayed out (inaccessible). Under the Presentation button, the General four button options and the Movie Controller Type selector are also grayed out (inaccessible).

The show A/V Controls (Audio, Bass etc) are accessible and are not grayed out.

Thus, the differences between the exportable sample WMV3 file and my problem WMV3 file are the grayed out options under the Audio Settings and Presentation buttons. This seems to indicate that the file is somehow locked, blocking me from exporting the file to another video format in QT Pro.

Any ideas on a converter that will activate the Movie Properties under the Audio Settings and Presentation buttons for this problem WMV3 flie?

Thanks.
    Don in D.C.
    Quote Quote