VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm about to make the investment I have been wanting to do for quite some time; I'm going to get a PC just for desktop video editing (personal/hobby basis). I want to be sure I spend my dollars wisely. Despite all my reading I'm still indecisive in one particular but significant area.
    So my question is as follows: Regarding my processor choice, do I need/want a 64-bit system? And then, how important is it to get dual core in either a 32 or 64 bit system? If I need both 64 and dual core, then I'll make the investment. But if they are overkill for my basic level of capturing analog to digital, simple restoration, NLE editing, etc. please let me know.
    PS-I know MS Vista/Longhorn is on the horizon, but at this time I don't want to worry about their system requirements....unless I really need to be concerned. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The move seems to be to 64 bit systems. Their cost is getting comparable to the 32 bit systems. I also have the XP64 OS, though so far I really don't see any major advantages over XP32. Vista may change that, along with more support for 64 bit applications. (Assuming a 64 bit Vista.)

I favor the AMD, mostly because of cost. Dual core is nice, but not a lot of applications make use of it presently. That too may change quickly.

Presently, I would go with the 64 bit processors, dual core if you really can afford it, but otherwise a CPU in the 3Ghz range, 1Gb DDR RAM, SATA or SATA2 hard drives. Two hard drives are nice. A small one for OS and applications and a big one for video and editing. A 450W or better power supply.
    Quote Quote