VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I'm trying to create a dvd with DVD Lab Pro.
    I have the subtitles in english and three other languages.
    All the subs work ok apart from the Punjabi one. I can get it to display correctly but there are some words (names etc) which should be displayed as english.
    I have tried different fonts etc. but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This will tell you how to add subtitles in DVD Lab Pro by TheMatrixx. There's a Movie Tutorial on it, too.

Hope this is useful.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi
    thanks for the reply ,i can add subs to the movie track the only problem is with the punjabi subtitles were there are some mixed e.g. characters names don't have a punjabi equivalent.

This is how a line of text appears in arial
    ÔŶ ÒÒî˺ Ô» ÜËÕ (Jack)

the charcters at the start seem to change to punjabi when the font is changed to "satluj" but the english charcters at the end of the line turn into symbols.

If you cut the text and look at it in word or excel it's ok,it lets you have different fonts on the same line.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's tricky as text, then probably we may consider using bitmap subs where each letter is actually a picture element.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. is there any way to edit the bitmaps created in dvd lab?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you can actually see your subtitle lines in a text editor that displays both Punjabi and English text? Do you see them together (these two languages) in any application? Microsoft Word with Punjabi Language support should do this. In such a case, you can open your text subtitle in Subtitle Workshop which uses Word's engine, and convert it to .srt (SubRip) format. Then convert it to Bitmap with SRT2SUP. Next you can multiplex your video, audio and the subtitle together in DVD Lab Pro.

As far as I know you can not EDIT subtitles in DVD Lab.

Bitmaps are pictures, and, therefore, can be edited only after converting into text by an application that does OCR. I use SubRip. The bottom line looks like you do need a text editor that supports both languages.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. hi thanks for the reply's

i can view the subtitles (*.sub files saved as .txt files) in word if the fonts are correct i.e. satluj for the punjabi and arial for the english but when the *.sub file is imported into dvd lab then the font is set either to satluj or arial but not both.I have attached a sample of the file in question if it's viewed in satluj then it's ok apart from the english names.

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't import dual-lingo text subs in DVD Lab. Make a bitmap first, and then import that bitmap in DVD Lab. As I wrote, bitmaps are pictures, not textual letters, and DVD Lab will import the pictures faithfully.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am not sure, but I think there are .srt tags for changing the font. If DVDLab understands srt tags they can be used to make the subs display properly.
    Quote Quote