VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    'STAR WARS' SICKOUT IN THE WORKS FOR OPENER

The Force will not be with American businesses next week when the new "Star Wars" flick opens.

Employers are expected to see a dramatic spike in absenteeism as workers play hooky to see "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith," when it opens May 19, according to a new report.

That loss of productivity could cost employers as much as $627 million in the first two days that the picture — the last installment of the epic sci-fi series — hits theaters.

"There is a lot of anticipation to see the final movie," said John Challenger, CEO of outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

"With opening day falling on a Thursday, instead of the traditional Friday premiere, we are looking at two days of 'Star Wars'-induced absenteeism."

The findings are based on the assumption that attendance during the first two days will match that of the last "Star Wars" blockbuster, "Episode II — Attack of the Clones," which attracted 9.4 million people in in 2002.

Challenger estimates that 4.8 million of those opening-day attendees are employed at least 35 hours per week. With those full-timers earning an average of $130.60 per day, the two-day cost in terms of lost wages and productivity would be a staggering $626,880,000, he said.

But there is one big plus to the "Star Wars" opening.

"It will result in increased spending on movie tickets and refreshments, increased foreign and domestic tourism, and increased business in shops near the theaters," Challenger said.

Story Link
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Yep - happened with each prequel release as well. In fact I'm taking the 19th AND 20th off for an extended weekend. I'm also planning on visiting my sister and brother-in-law in Cleveland AFTER I see the movie

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hi,

Yep - happened with each prequel release as well. In fact I'm taking the 19th AND 20th off for an extended weekend. I'm also planning on visiting my sister and brother-in-law in Cleveland AFTER I see the movie :D :D

Kevin
    Are they both aware that are, in fact, taking off work to see a Star Wars film? Are they also aware that you may be dressed in full Jedi attire when you arrive at their house?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Roundabout
    That loss of productivity could cost employers as much as $627 million
    This is so stupid. What do people always insist on unreal dollars amounts as a "loss" for something that was not counted in dollars to begin with?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. As a matter of fact that would be "savings" for the employers, since they won't pay for those "sick" days to their employees.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

thanks. It looked good but I'm surfing wirelessly on my old P2 laptop and when the video started it went haywire and I had to reboot. Apparently it didn't like what ever video format its using. The laptop isn't very powerful but surfs text brilliantly.

I'll look at it later.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. FUNNY! , But I can't download it, when I push the download button, quicktime or WMP starts to play it.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote