VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am wondering why it seems that Movies I backup to blank DVD's seem to skip easily after a short period of time. It seems by the 3rd time I watch a movie they start to skip or show blocky digital images. Are blank DVD's just more fragile? Get dirty easily? I use TDK 8x DVD+R's. Any thoughts.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you use labels? Do you take care of your discs? Have you checked the media code of these discs and looked here to see if the discs are good? Lots of complaints about the Moser Baer 8x DVD+R and the CMC's as well. You might also want to see if there is an updated firmware for your burner.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does this problem more occur towards the end of the movie? Do you use white top inkjet printable disks?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Curious why it would get worse at end of movie???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pantherman85
    Curious why it would get worse at end of movie???
    DVD's write (and read) from the inside of the disk to the outside. For a given spin rate the angular velocity is higher towards the outer edge of the the disk.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  6. The outer edge which is written last can be susceptible to problems like in this photo. This disk started to delaminate at the edge. If you look carefully, you can see the fresnel rings. This particular disk was an ESA dvd-r, X8 branded CMC product.

Quote Quote  
  7. Will burning at slower speeds help lower problems???
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may, but a better solution IMO is to get higher quality discs so you don't have to slow down the burn. Not much point in having a fast burner and fast-rated discs if one is going to burn at like 2x/2.4x or 4x...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Is it common to just get a bad spindle of DVD's??I have used TDK for a while and most of them have worked fine, but some of them are complete trash right near the end of the movie. If one is bad in the batch are the rest usually the same???
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry, but I think no one can give you helpful answers, if you don't tell details of your problem and don't answer most questions regarding details. For example you did not answer the question of "Matt D" if you use paper labels. Also you did not answer my question if that are white top printable disks. And you answerded to my question regarding problems at the end of the movie in your first reply only with a counter-question.

Many factors can influence the playback results. The following information would be very helpful:
    - Are paper labels applied (that would for example fully explain the problem)?
    - Are this white top printable disks?
    - media code?
    - which burner model?
    - which burner firmware version?
    - which playback device?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Curious why it would get worse at end of movie???
    Because that's where the most unstable dye area is. Look at the photo above.
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Curious why it would get worse at end of movie???
    Also a warped disk may explane this. The maximum tilt would be on the outer side of the disk. The DVD specification allows a maximum tilt of 0.4°. If the angle between the laser and the disk deviates from 90° more than this, playback problems may occur.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Reply to joeg04

"any factors can influence the playback results. The following information would be very helpful"
    Your right, and I'm sorry for not being more specific I'm just new to all this.

" Are paper labels applied (that would for example fully explain the problem)?"
    No, but I do write on all my DVD's with Sharpes and other markers.

" Are this white top printable disks?"
    Nope

" media code?"
    I'm not sure what exactly the media code is, but I use TDK 8x DVD+R/along with -R's. I also use Memorex DVD-R's 8x

" which burner model?"
    I have a memorex True 8x dual format Internal and a Plextor PX708A.

" which burner firmware version?"
    Not sure what this mean, but I use DVD Decryptor/Voblanker/DVD Rebuilder with CCE basic/ Nero 6 Memorex suite to actually burn it to the DVD.

" which playback device?[/quote]"
    I use a Ps2.

It seems like their have been more errors lately when before movies used to play perfect all the way through. Now I get blocky digital errors for a second during a movie or all over the end of a movie(which has been explained, but it still was seemed completly random on what movies it would do it on), or the PS2 all of a sudden just completly shuts down saying read error. Will it help to burn discs at less than 8x, or not do anything else on the computer while the disc is burning? I'm really frustrated with the inconsistent errors i get. It also seems like sometimes errors I get on the ps2 won't show up on the computer(unless its a DVD that has errors only at the very end, those still mess up on computer) and it will play fine. Thanks for reading. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by pantherman85
    I use a Ps2.
    Thanks for providing the details. PS2 is very picky with media, other players are better. For usage with PS2, select only media that show "0 dont play" in the list below, and good brands. For example Verbatim 8xDVD-R. Avoid Memorex media. If that does not help, your PS2 may have an optical pickup unit that got dusty.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=445&Search=Search&#comments
    Also, updating burner firmware may help. Writing 8x media with 4x speed generally does not help.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I am getting some new problems now and this is really weird. When I made a backup of "The Life Aquatica" the sound goes in and out throughout the movie on Ps2. Although when I played the DVD on the computer the problem was fixed. I also made a backup of "Punch Drunk Love" and the sound near the end of the movie is very very low, near silent and was not fixed when played on the computer. Any thoughts???
    Quote Quote  
  16. I dont really consider a PS2 a dvd player anyway so how does it sound on a stand alone player.
    Any differences there? We have used our ps2 as a temp player when our dvd player crapped out and the sound and picture qualilty just didnt cut it.
    Life is like a pothole, you just have to learn to get around it.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!