VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am running Windows XP SP1. I have the Spirited Away DVD which only contains the english audio. I also have a Spirited Away VCD which contains the japanese audio and subtitles. What I want to do is to re-author the Spirited Away DVD so that it contains the japanese audio and subtitles.

I know how to extract the audio from the VCD, but how can I extract the subtitles from the VCD?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

ducky303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC, Latest SubRip incarnation supports ripping subs from AVI, so it might work with mpg too. If not, encode the VCD mpg to AVI and try. Unlike audio, VCD subs (in fact, there's no such thing as VCD subs) aren't a separate stream, but is rendered into the movie itself. An easier approach would be to simply "find" the english subs on the Internet as .srt

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks mats.hogberg,

After much thinking I have come up with a plan:

1. Use VirtualDub Mod to extract WAV audio from vcds 1 & 2
    2. Join two audio segments together
    3. Convert downloaded Spirited Away .sub files to .srt with Subrip
    4. Use Subtitle Workshop to join two .srt files together.
    5. Use SubtitleCreator to change .srt to .sup for use in DVD
    6. Extract video from original Spirited Away DVD
    7. Combine video, audio & subtitles, and compile new DVD

I hope it works...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a working (albeit cumbersome) plan.
    I'd use srt2tosup for converting the subs (haven't tried SubtitleCreator for this).
    Possible problems:
    Audio/video syncronization.
    Audio/subtitle syncronization
    Possible solution:
    Buy the DVD - it comes with both subtitles and Japanese audio (at least where I live).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you really want to do this, the guide at
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/197950.php
    might be useful to you. I used this to replace the Russian subtitles with English ones in a DVD I reauthored for my own use, so I can tell you that this method did work for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for the replies.

@mats.hogberg -> Where I live the Spirited Away DVD comes only with English audio and not even english subtitles. The licensor informed me that children in South Africa dont like to read subtitles hence the exclusion of the japanese audio and subtitles... nice eh?

@jman98 - thanks for the guide. Its a little different to my method since I intend on using DVD-Lab Pro to author the DVD rather than VobEdit & IfoEdit. I also dont need to convert the srt files to sup because DVd-Lab Pro accepts SUB, SRT, SSA, SON, and SST files.

Cheers,

ducky303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Might be me being childish, but I really don't consider Spirited Away a "children movie" - It's OK for children to watch, sure, but I don't think it's the target audience. Stupid decision of the South African licensor, IMO. Like when the Swedish TV company TV3 decided to dub The simpsons to Swedish, and airing it in the Kids TV block around 18.00 Stared a regular riot, and Simpsons was soon back undubbed and later in the evening (even tho it now seems like there's always a Simpson episode running on some channel 24/7!)

/Mats
    Quote Quote