VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I just burned onto a DVD-R. Immation brand 8X. Never had any problems with em. However I've been reading up on dvd-r's and read something about the dye on the back supposed to have burned smoothly and flat. I read that some bad signs or un-even edges or random splotches or spots on the disc.
    However on some of my already burned dvd-rs I've noticed that are round marks surrounding the disc. It is hard to describe in words but...like rings around the entire cd.there are two or three of them. They are evenly surrounding the entire disc and a few inches apart but th edges are completely even...
    Is this bad or normal. It's just from what I've read the discs are supposed to be all the same color completely after burned...like are they supposed to look the same way they did before the dvd is burned on?
    please help me
    thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What speed do you burn at? Was it 8x or above? I ask because when you burn at higher speeds, the burner doesn't use this speed for the whole disk. It may start at 4x, then go up to 8x part way through, then switch to 12 or 16x (if you are using that speed) towards the end. The speed change tends to show a sligh chnage in the coulor of the dye, and this may be what you are seeing.

Also, any unburnt area on the outer edge of the disk will also look different.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  3. i had same problem with middle ring on Pioneer dvd 106d. Only happen on this drive versus my other pioneer.

To correct it....I burned at 2x....(i have 4x disks).

I know that sucks...but I just do a burn and turn off computer at night routine.

not a big deal to burn fast....I go and do something else like clean the room
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have had the same problem with my pioneer 108's using 8x discs and when I burn at 8x you notice the different color in the data on the bottom (you can see different bands of rings). I have had no problems with playback in my dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  5. its true about the playback...it does work...

but on two disk out of a bunch...they had CRC errors...that was enough for me.

I burn slow and now the disk look fine...

my guess is the dvd is not up to par....but can work well at lower speeds.

I have identical drives...so I know its the drive and not the software or media.

oh well.....2x is not that bad
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK, I use Imation discs quite a lot DVD-R 4x and 8x and I've never had this problem.
    I use Pioneer drives and always keep the firmware up to date.
    What drives are you using and is the firmware up to date ?
    And I always burn at MAX speed.
    What burning software are you using ?, have you thought about trying another program.
    I would suggest DVDdecrypter for ISO files, not once had a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. When you have two identical systems with pioneer 106d (the memorex dual x1)....and one burns the funny pattern and the other does not....its the drive.

Yeah, I burn with dvd decrpt...and that kind of help a bit....but burning at 2x instead of 4x really made a huge difference.

My guess is the drive is flaking out....so using 2x for a while will be fine.

the imation 4x +r disks are ricoh...and they are high high quality.

some folks say the different color pattern is ok....yeah they play....but I know some wont...why take the chance??

I keep burning at 2x on this drive and later use it as a general dvd rom player or ripper. no big deal.
    Quote Quote