VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glockjs
    for some reason i think adult swim has less than the normal amount of commercials. but it could just be in my head
    The whole 15min episodes thing throws ya. Its about average overall.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Roundabout
    Maybe someday there'll be an option (with all the digital possibilities, it could happen) of getting network programs without all that, by paying a fee, just like HBO (and unedited too, as a bonus).
    I like that idea. Not that they'd have to shuffle the schedule around, either. They could set up a "flag" (cable/satellite) so that paying customers would be shuffled off to an intermission frame, perhaps with elevator music in the background, and giving a countdown until the intermission is scheduled to end. That way, people could time potty breaks or do stuff in the kitchen during intermissions ... knowing they'd have to be back at a certain time to resume watching their program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Flaystus
    Originally Posted by glockjs
    for some reason i think adult swim has less than the normal amount of commercials. but it could just be in my head
    The whole 15min episodes thing throws ya. Its about average overall.
    Actually it does have less or seems like less. Watch Futurama and Family Guy. You can tell where theres supposed to be commercial breaks and there are none. Of course they probably make up for it after it ends but if you watch Family Guy episodes on FOX now that they're showing it again, some stuff is edited.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlecWest
    Originally Posted by Roundabout
    Maybe someday there'll be an option (with all the digital possibilities, it could happen) of getting network programs without all that, by paying a fee, just like HBO (and unedited too, as a bonus).
    I like that idea. Not that they'd have to shuffle the schedule around, either. They could set up a "flag" (cable/satellite) so that paying customers would be shuffled off to an intermission frame, perhaps with elevator music in the background, and giving a countdown until the intermission is scheduled to end. That way, people could time potty breaks or do stuff in the kitchen during intermissions ... knowing they'd have to be back at a certain time to resume watching their program.
    Thanks, and it seems to make some sense to me.

Another patented Roundabout idea
    Networks, please send royalty checks to:

Round A Bout
    1313 Mockingbird Lane
    Mockingbird Heights 10101 USA

Seriously, there's no reason at all with all the technology that something like this couldn't be done. They could show the unedited version too, I think in some shows they actually have cut dialogue out of the finished version (4-letter words, etc.) and they could show a "grittier" version of something like CSI or NYPD Blue.

I'm not surprised that a lot gets cut out of the Simpsons/Malcolm, etc. in syndication, because they can squeeze in at least one more 30 sec commercial by doing so. Usually on Malcolm, in the original version, there is a short skit at the beginning that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot (filler) then the theme song/intro. Apparently, they purposely put it there to be cut out in syn. to get more commercials in.

And I'm sure there's much more that we may not have noticed.

Someday, FTA (free to air, broadcast) TV won't exist as we know it today. That might even be a good thing... :P
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  5. You think yours ia a great problem with comercial ads?... lol

Here in South America where there are absolutely no laws or regulations about anything broadcasted, things are REALLY crazy.
    In example, we are mass producers and consumers of Soap Operas, and when one of these productions strikes gold and creates a massive audience ratings, the local networks seize the oportunity to make big bucks with advertising.
    When "Betty la Fea" and "Mi Gorda Bella" were broadcasted in Ecuador (by two different networks) the way things worked were like this: (and believe me, I'm not exagerating a bit)

Air Time: 1 Hour 15 min. (It's supposed to be just one hour, but they extended it just to make more room for ads)
    First 10 Min, a 3 min. resume of the past episodes. (mixed with comercials)
    Next 55 Min. Current episode (mixed with comercials)
    Final 10 Min. 3 min. Scenes of VERY future episodes (mixed with comercials)

I once taped one of these chapters because my wife LOVES soap operas here, but she complained a lot saying that the soap never advanced much from chapter to chapter. My results were very surprising.

Total Air Time substracting the "resume" scenes and the "next chapter" scenes and the comercial ads: 12 Minutes.

In 1 hour of TV there was just 12 minutes of the actual show and the rest was just ads.

I didn't believed it at first, but then, after checking out several chapters, and going to the soap's web page, I saw the original chapter list. They were supposed to air one chapter for day, but by reviewing it, I noticed that each one of the "original" chapters there was transformed here in almost a whole week of show in the end.

The Soap "Mi Gorda Bella" was supposed to last 6 months at 1 hour shows, here it lasted a year and a half in 1:15 shows.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that is really at that point -- unwatchable
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    that is really at that point -- unwatchable
    I would go with riotable but unwatchable works also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flaninacupboard
    It's nice watching on the non-commercial channels over here. Hour shows like ER, Xfiles, Stargate etc are 45 minutes.
    Yeah, anything on SkyOne gets a commercial after the opening credits and another 2-3 throughout the hour.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The most annoying ad sky one do is ~2 mins before the end of the programme!

This generally means the plot is concluded, you watch the ads, everyone says "good job team/mulder/doctor!" then you watch the credits! soooooooooooo annoying!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Skyone seems nicer in someways then DishNetwork
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

i couldn't have said it better myself
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MeDiCo_BrUjO
    When "Betty la Fea" and "Mi Gorda Bella" were broadcasted in Ecuador (by two different networks) the way things worked were like this: (and believe me, I'm not exagerating a bit)

Air Time: 1 Hour 15 min. (It's supposed to be just one hour, but they extended it just to make more room for ads)
    First 10 Min, a 3 min. resume of the past episodes. (mixed with comercials)
    Next 55 Min. Current episode (mixed with comercials)
    Final 10 Min. 3 min. Scenes of VERY future episodes (mixed with comercials)

I once taped one of these chapters because my wife LOVES soap operas here, but she complained a lot saying that the soap never advanced much from chapter to chapter. My results were very surprising.

Total Air Time substracting the "resume" scenes and the "next chapter" scenes and the comercial ads: 12 Minutes.
    Well, you could always flip on the radio and listen to HCJB (grin). Sorry, I couldn't resist. But your situation in Ecuador is exactly what I'm afraid will soon be the "norm" up North. I've already divorced myself from watching a lot of television. I hope I don't have to completely divorce myself from the medium altogether (sigh).
    Quote Quote