VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im just starting in this digital video world, im looking for an inexpensive intermediate camera, im not a rookie but im also not a pro, my main purpose here is to record family events and put them on dvd...holla back
    "If u cant eat it - u dont need it"

"Baby - If i dont hit it, Who will?"

"Why is Abbreviation such a long word"?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Me personally, I like the Sony Cameras. I use the DCR-PC101 because of compact size and features. Also like the touchscreen display.

For better low light performace make sure to try and get the ones with bigger lenses. Sony's Digital 8 cameras are better at low light performance.

Also 3 CCD cameras are suppose to offer better low light as well. But will cost you more. Think Panasonic has a lower cost one for $700 or so.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can u copy and paste the url so i cans ee where it is on a website

Quote Quote  
  4. Are you referring to a Panasonic 3ccd?
    Here is a link.
    http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/newdesign/productList.asp?CategoryID=3561

Make sure you read reviews on the camera you want to buy. I never used the panasonic so can't comment about it and how it compares to more expensive 3ccd cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anything less expensive though

Quote Quote  
  7. Don't think you'll find 3ccd any cheaper.

Check here for sony minidv
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog...c_DICamcorders
    Check here for sony digital8
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog...c_DICamcorders

Canon also has some nice cameras at a good price.

Just be sure to check reviews on anything you decide. And put some money aside $50 or so to purchase a light that will mount on the camera for better indoor recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks man, they are more in my price range

Quote Quote  
  9. I like the Sony DCR-TRV460. It's a Digital8 that performs well. It is easy to transfer the video to PC via firewire. You can also play the old 8mm and Hi8mm tapes and transfer to PC just as easily. It will also accept video and sound input (including S-video) for passthru to the PC. This is useful for transfering old VCR tapes to DVD.

The price has come down recently. List is now $349 on the camera and in reality you can get it cheaper if you watch for sales. BB and Circuit City usually have it $25-$50 less or in combination with free gift cards or 24 month interest free financing. They seem to alternate every other week.

Obviously not the choice for the professional that hangs out in these forums, but a really decent camera in my opinion.
    Quote Quote