VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,

I bought a dvd recorder yesterday, a Philips 610.

I can't get it working

Im trying to connect it to work with telewest cable...
    How do I do this? I have tryed so many different ways, and I have only managed to get a crap quality picture?

Please reply asap, I really want to get this working.

Thanks in advance...
    Quote Quote  
  2. How many ways can there be? What equipment do you have besides the recorder and tv?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have only the tv, and dvd recorder...

I have tryed loads of different ways of doing it

Only managed to get a bad quality picture some ways...

I want it to connect to my telewest cable box so I can record of it, and hopefully use video+ as well
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is your cable box digital? Did you have the box hooked up to a vcr? What is video+?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, it is digital.

I didn't have the box hooked up to a vcr...

and video+ is where you can type in a number from tv magazines, and it starts recording when the program comes on
    Quote Quote  
  6. Can you describe what you mean by 'crap quality picture'?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are you using a coax cable? When using a digital box the dvd recorder can't act as a tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have tryed coax cable and scart cables etc, been trying lots of different ways, still no luck

By no luck, I meen...the best I am getting is a fuzzy picture
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Digital cable box -> DVD recorder -> TV set
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Lordsmurf, I have tryed that...

Can someone please tell me exactly which cables and where to put them?

I will try exactly what they say...and let them know what happens.

Please include where to put coaxs, scarts, and into what slots. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Have you tried using the manual?

We don't have scart in my part of the world. When using coax you have to make sure that the sending and receiving channels match. At least that's what I recall as I haven't used it in a long time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Seriously, ive been through the manual, and internet sites for hours trying to get this thing to work....and still not got anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think a fuzzy picture indicates that the channel is et right. Try setting the recorder to channel 3 or 4.
    Quote Quote  
  14. What do you meen by change channel? I've never changed the channel before, because it only finds one..which is the telewest cable.
    Quote Quote  
  15. First off, I'm referring to coax, since I know nothing about scart. The remote for the recorder should have a way to select which of the inputs you want to use. Set that to the coax input. Then use the channel up/down (or +/-) buttons to tune the record to receive on channel 3 or 4. This is what's commonly used in N America.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I can't see an option to choose coax on my remote.

So, even though it only finds one channel? Ill try and change it to channel 3?
    Quote Quote  
  17. It's been at least ten years since I used coax connections or had cable. I better leave this to someone who is familiar with your setup.
    Quote Quote  
  18. sync!!!!

Thanks man!!!

I changed the channel, and it was perfect picture!!

Im going to have a little fun with it now
    Quote Quote