VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm testing a 5005 and have found what I think is a weird bug. If I let a disc record until it is completely full (and it stops automatically), then finalize it, the disc will play fine in the 5005 but give a disc error in any other player.

If, on the other hand, I stop recording at any point BEFORE the disc gets completely full, then finalize it, it plays fine on other players.

The discs contain a full set of DVD files which check out OK. In fact, if I simply copy them to another disc, the copied disc will play fine in all players.

I suspect this is a bug in the finalize routine. Ideas?

(BTW: Firmware is current and non-hacked. Media is RITEKG04, which is on the compatible list.)

Rick
    +
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like bad media ... OR ... the LiteOn may be overburning the disc. A rare, but very possible, phenomena.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My own Lite-On 5005 behaves precisely the same way. I noticed this early on, and produced quite a few coasters before I determined that I simply could not let a recording session run out by itself, resulting in a "Disc Full" message.

I experienced it with four types of media -- and was not able to find any media that did not produce this result. It behaves this way with Ritek GO4s, and GO5s. It also behaved this way with some Maxell DVD-Rs, and also some TDK DVD-Rs (both were 4x, sorry, I do not know who actually made them).

I tested some of these coasters in as many as six different DVD players (including the Playstation II and XBox). These include a Panasonic RP56; a Sony 5 disc changer; a Samsung; a Toshiba; and, the game consoles mentioned above.

Note that ALL of these players have had no problems using Riteks and Maxells and TDKs when the recording was stopped at least 2 or more minutes PRIOR to the "Disc Full" message, assuming the disc was then finalized.

I believe this recorder simply allows recording to continue to the very, very outer edges of the disc, and then this somehow leaves insufficient room for all of the "finalizing" data which needs to be written. Yet, for some reason, the unit allows you to go ahead an finalize it, with a message claiming that this process was a success (the unit reports "Finalizing Complete.")

-Bruce in Chi-Town
    Quote Quote  
  4. This has been my conclusion, Bruce. I haven't tried other media, but it never smelled like a media problem to me (the Riteks have been SO AMAZINGLY RELIABLE -- I won't buy anything else). Put simply, ANY disc that recorded to the "disc full" message refused to play in other machines, and ANY disc that stopped short of disc full played fine. Seems unlikely that media problems could be the cause with such a strong 1:1 correlation.

My work-around has been to use the one-touch recording function and set it to record no more than 2:03 (1 minute short of the theoretical 2:04 max). This seems to be sufficient to get around it, but remembering to set it is a bit of a hassle.

+
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty much convinced it's a slight overburn.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote