VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best bitrate to use on a DVD? I though i could fit 2 hour long tv shows without commercials, but when i edited them and tried to put them on DVD it was 400mb too long. A total of 83 mins of video.

I was using CBR but would using a VBR help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're not maxing out the video bitrate (i.e. 8000kb/s or even higher), then 2-pass VBR is going to look better than CBR given the same average bitrate. So I would suggest using VBR if you're in the 4000-6000kb/s range. Make sure you're not using PCM audio since that takes a lot of precious space that could be used to improve the video.

Re-reading your post though, you say that it's 83 minutes of video, which would yield to a video bitrate around 7000kb/s if you're using compressed audio (256kb/s for example) and leaving some MB's for authoring.
    That's a pretty high bitrate already. They're going to look very much alike given that high bitrate.
    Sorry, I had to go see about a girl
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't want to reencode the files. So i done a test. I recorded them with a VBR or Max 8mbit Min/ 6.8mbit. Then edited them.

Tried making DVD with the Ulead program that came with the drive, got serious a/v sync problems. Video 30seconds ahead of audio.

Then tried burning with Nero, same problem.

Then went to TDA and made a DVD folder, went into Nero and burnt DVD folder and it worked beautifully. Takes a little more time, but i have 3 half hour shows (approx 63Mins) and 1 hour long show (approx 42mins) of course, edited without commercials.

Well, i should have said that it worked fine on my PC, have'nt tried it yet. But with the other discs they were out of sync on my PC and standalone. so i think it will work. writing this now, so i don't forget what i was thinking at the moment. Will update later today.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please use a proper post title.
    "question" does not suffice.
    See forum rules. Thanks.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry, LordSmurf, at the time i couldn't think of a proper title other than Question. Couldn't think what to call it capturing question, bitrate question, or what? Please forgive me lord. LOL. I'll make sure next time i make a better title. Well i found out i can change the title on here. On my clan forums i don't think i can change it, so i didn't realize. It now says Bitrate Question.
    Quote Quote