VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can't get my drive to eject and it doesn't seem to be recognized by windows XP.

I've had a Sony DRU510A burner a little over a year, and now it's acting up. Just yesterday I bought some blank dvds (memorex) and tried to burn my normal way(DVDdecrypter & DVDshrink). Shrink wouldn't work (sorry, can't remember the error) so I tried Nero (5.5) since the files were shrunk already. Nero worked, sort of, for 3 out of 5, rest were coasters (power calibration error).

I thought it might be media so I tried to burn a copy of a music cd, using blanks (fuji) that have worked many times before. Simulation worked, but then I got a "reset" and "Could not perform EndSession".

Now I can't even get the drive to eject!

The light is rapidly blinking orange.

Other wierd stuff:
    On mycomputer, I usually see 2 dvd drives, E (regular) and F (burner). Now the E drive is there and working fine, but there's a CD drive listed as F and a DVD drive as J (my external zip is still G)

The only things that have changed are the media and a printer I just installed last week, but I burned a few dvds fine after that. I emailed Nero, maybe they can help. Sony basically said, 'sorry, warrenty's up!'.

Will I be shopping for a new burner on Friday?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving
    Quote Quote  
  2. similar happens to mine sony drive - a reboot usually fixes the drive ejecting and how it appears as the PC ..nero is usually the culprit
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think its shopping time m8

this is common with the dru510a , it happend to me

search for DRU510A on this site
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've never had any problems with my DRU-510A and have had it for well over a year. I've read this problem exists when people try to reboot because they are impatient and can't stop an RW from finalizing manually. When they reboot that usually messes something up with the drive. Kind of makes sense and that's not something i'd want to do. Fortunately for you, if your drive is really messed up, they are cheap enough now to where it doesn't hit you too hard even if you're on a tight budget.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex + 510a = trouble,I replaced my sony with 2 lite on drives and they are great.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have no problem with Memorex DVD+R and DRU510A. Using the latest firmware.

So far 510A is working fine for almost a year. Always leave drive alone until finalizes, and nothing running in the background.

Maybe just a case of bad luck
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried uninstalling it in device manager also the mystery drive that windows now sees. Upon restart, everything was the same. I'm going to try physically uninstalling it now, to see what happens.

I read on another thread about dismantleing the drive and cleaning the lens, maybe i'll try that, not much to lose now...

By the way, the paper clip eject works, but still nothing from the button and that @#$%&* orange light is still blinking rapidly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. quick update: the weird dvd drive was due to Alcohol 120, a program I installed to backup a game I just bought. I got rid of that and now no extra drive. I guess it was a virtual drive used by Alcohol. I took out the Sony and am going to try to clean the lens.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just tried updating firmware. Sony's utility says no updatable drive exists. Drive appears in windows as a CD drive only. It appears in device manager as a SONY BOOT DRU-510A.

I also took it apart and cleaned lens with air and cloth, no change.
    Quote Quote