VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anybody here use virtual PC. Is it too slow? I have an EMAC G4 with 512 RAM. Trying to see if it is worth the purchase. I have heard that it runs pretty good on a G5. Does anybody know?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Too slow for what?
    Solitaire? No.
    AutoCAD? Yes.
    ... examples?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it worth it? NO, screw M$. Look for Mac native alternatives first. If you MUST run a PC program buy a used older version made by Connectix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to be able to log onto a network where I work. I need to log in and use hospital software, e-mail etc. I also need it for Web site maintanence, backup, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have Virtual PC but I have it for windows to run Linux and older windows. Its a fun toy. If you want to learn another OS. I got it for Linux just to play with and run some older Windows 98 software. That Windows 2000 will not run. It is a emulator so If I want to high end PC stuff on a MAC I would use MAC software not run a emulator. But if there that one peace of software thats not on MAC and you really need it and do not want to buy a PC just to run one program that its fine. I would download the 30 day trial and see how it works for you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have VirtualPC but I almost never use it anymore. The more RAM you have the better it seems to respond. I would first max out your RAM if you continue down this road. I've tried running Windows 2000 in it -- it literally took 10 minute to start up, and programs take forever to run in it -- skip it. I tried running Windows XP Pro in it ... slow but useable. The last time I used it, though, I often found myself stealing time on native PCs to get my PC tasks done faster. I currently run an old copy of Windows 98SE in VPC6. It was noticeably more responsive after I doubled my RAM to 1 gig. Although not as fast as a regular old Win98 box, I imagine this could be just fine on a speedy G5. I recall messing around with VPC/Win98 on a G4 tower in an Apple Store once and it was like using a regular old PC. I was shocked. I guess that setup had a ton of RAM and a fast processor. It convinced me to buy VPC6, which I guess was the whole point.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Where might I find this 30-day trial?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont think VirtualPC has a 30-day trial -- but Office 2004 does.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have G5 with 2X2. 2.5g ram & powerbook g4 1.33ghz w/1.2g ram. Both VPC 7 with win xp pro. I need to run office2003 at work I know it is slow to start but one it is run it is ok speed. I have run both g5 and g4 with vpc7 and mostly run with quickbook and office 2003. I have not had any problem with freez up. So, if like to run both OS and running about 300-400mhz pc speed then it worth to pay. Maybe it is not to bad to run both Mac and old pc next each other.
    Quote Quote  
  10. 30-day trial might be found at www.microsoft.com they own VIRTUAL PC now. They bought the company that makes it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going blind! I don't see the free trial for VirtualPC anywhere here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc
    or here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  12. If there is a link for a 30-day trial for the mac version, please link it directly. I can only find Virtual PC 2004 45-day trial (non-Mac)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For those of you who say you have it will it do full screen? I have heard you can't view VPC in full screen. Also, I have heard you can take files directly from MAC to PC by simply dragging from one to another.
    Quote Quote  
  14. For those of you who say you have it will it do full screen? I have heard you can't view VPC in full screen. Also, I have heard you can take files directly from MAC to PC by simply dragging from one to another.
    I have VIRTUAL PC for the PC and I can run VIRTUAL PC full screen. I can drag and drop files from one windows to another I have problems dragging files from Linux back to Windows. But then again my VIRTUAL PC is for the PC. So i would think yes you can drag and drop files from Windows to MAC. I think they state that on the box. I think the reason it does not work for Linux is that they just add linux support when I got it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DUDIRENO
    For those of you who say you have it will it do full screen? I have heard you can't view VPC in full screen. Also, I have heard you can take files directly from MAC to PC by simply dragging from one to another.
    I've tried to run VPC (versions 6 and 7) in full screen. It will not properly full-screen Windows ME, 2000 or XP Pro. It will full-screen Win 98SE properly. This is on a 15" TiBook.

Drag-n-drop support was enabled since the release of version 6.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have VPC 6.01 on a G4 eMac 1.25GHz. It runs Win98 better than my pc does, for SOME things. You can drop and drag files and share drives if you enable extensions and sharing(the toolbar at the bottom, under the Windows shell, let your mouse hover to see the options.) I don't recommend trying to copy files from desktop to desktop unless they are very small. It's painfully slow. Sharing files from a firewire drive which was formatted by Mac as a DOS drive works well. I store overflow mac and pc files there, and can eject the drive and plug it in to my peecee if necessary.
    VPC 5.x won't run 98 or 2000 on a G4, because it doesn't know what a G4 processor is.
    I use VPC to remake ifos using ifoedit, since there is no native Mac app for that purpose that is free.
    The full screen option works, but is awkward because it covers the dock.
    Don't expect it to virtual Windows to be stable like OS X, it bluescreens just like the real thing.
    Don't multitask when running VPC. Running default install values, it uses 85% of my mac's cpu time. Memory allocation above 64MB for virtual Win98 doesn't seem to help, because cpu cycles is the limiting factor.
    VPC 7 is due out soon, and will be the only version that will work on a G5.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, VPC 7 is out now, but only available if you want to buy a whole copy of Windows XP with it. The version with no OS included, as well as the upgrade version, have not yet been released for sale.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    Originally Posted by DUDIRENO
    I've tried to run VPC (versions 6 and 7) in full screen. It will not properly full-screen Windows ME, 2000 or XP Pro. It will full-screen Win 98SE properly. This is on a 15" TiBook.

Drag-n-drop support was enabled since the release of version 6.
    Hrm, I rarely use it, but I seem to recall that my VPC6.1 with XP Pro will run in full screen on my DVI TiBook. It's noticeably more responsive at full screen too (which, to be honest, isn't saying much).
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure I used VPC5 with Windows 2000 on a G4.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I could be mistaken about Win2000 in VPC5. I only had access to Win98 when I bought VPC5. By the time I came across a legal copy of Win2000, I already had VPC6.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got VPC6 yesterday. I had a copy of WIN98SE from an old laptop I use to use and so far it runs great. It seems to work faster than when I used to use it on a PC. I got it to run the internet and it runs it fast. I needed to download a piece of PC software. So far I am pretty impressed. It is a little choppy once in a while. I am still running 512 RAM. The problem with it is all the software that came on WIN98SE is old. Old explorer, old media player, etc. I just noticed that stuff while using the internet and that is really the only thing I tested. Well I guess I installed the software that I downloaded as well. I hope I don't have to have Win 2000 to log into my work network.

I can't wait to bring it up when a PC user comes over to my house and they see their ugly windows sitting on my MAC.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can do Windows updates to get security patches, upgraded Windows Media Player, etc .. You'll need to do that since, even in emulated environments, Windows still sucks for security.
    Quote Quote