VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like a real obvious thing, but is there way to view the capture time and date from footage imported into iMovie?

I realize that I can view it in iMovie, but it would be easier for me to do it outside the app - so I can physically re-name the file at the same time. It seems that when you edit the clip name in iMovie, the clip name doesn't actually change.

I've tried Googling without any luck - I thought it might be a straightforward and simple as using an EXIF data viewer on digital stills - but something for motion instead.

Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can look at the Date Modified or Date Created info on the clip file. It should be named Clip ##, and located in your iMovieCaptureFolder/capture/media directory.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  3. QuickTime Player (as well as iMovie) shows the date of the very first scene in a .dv file. QT Player shows this via Movie/Get Movie Properties.

Notice that adding a transition or title in iMovie erases the underlying date so if the very first scene has an added transition or title, then there is no date shown although the date info is there for other scenes in the .dv file.

You can view the dates in the other scenes in the .dv clip by cutting or copying the desired clip to a new movie and saving it as .dv (or exporting the selected clips as .dv from iMovie) and checking its Movie/Get Movie Properties.

Another way to see the date info is to export the clips to a DV/D8 camcorder, and then play the tape when the camcodre's DATA CODE is set to display date (or camcorder's settings such as shutter speed etc). Unfortunately this doesn't work in iMovie to camcorder passthrough mode so you have to 1st export to tape, then play the tape.

Yes, it would be nice to find an app which shows this info in an easier manner! It would also be nice to edit this info, just like you can edit EXIF dates via PhotoInfo or jhead.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just as I thought - a bit of a PIA.

Thanks for the input - I guess I'll take the long way out and re-import the clips into iMovie, view the info there and rename accordingly.
    Quote Quote