VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With BD Rebuilder can you now shrink and make a complete/full backup of your Blu-ray movies to DVD sizes(4.37GB or 7.95GB) or to single layer Blu-ray Disc(23GB). This very very very basic guide will show you how it works. And remember that BD Rebuilder is still in BETA mode so it will NOT work on every system and with every Blu-ray movie yet.

Tools required
    ffdshow (free)
    avisynth (free)
    Haali Media Splitter (free)
    BD Rebuilder BETA (free)
    AnyDVD HD ($111, required for commercial Blu-ray movies)
    Imgburn (free, to burn the shrinked Blu-ray on DVD or Blu-ray media)
    AVCHD.Patcher ( to make it PS3/Blu-ray compliant)

Preperation
    Install ffdshow, haali media splitter, avisynth and AnyDVD HD.
    Extract the BD Rebuilder files to a folder.

Guide
    Launch BD Rebuilder.
    Choose your Blu-ray Drive or the folder with the Blu-ray files.
    Set a working path (you need a lot of HDD space, ~15-50GB!!!)
    Under Mode choose if you want to backup the entire Blu-ray(Full Backup) or just the Main Movie.
    Under Settings->Options choose the output file size, DVD-5(4.37GB), DVD-9(7.95GB) or BD-25(23GB). Bigger file size = better video quality but if you just keep the main movie and ONE audio track you still can get pretty good quality on a DVD-5.
    Under Settings->Setup can you set what audio and subtitle tracks you want to keep. Try remove as many audio tracks possible and you will get more space for the video = better video quality. You can also set it to DO NOT convert DTS to AC3 if you want to keep the DTS track.
    Backup.

Wait...wait....wait...go to bed...

Done

You can now burn the Blu-ray Disc output folder to a DVDR or BDR and it might work on some standalone Blu-ray players. Burn using Imgburn, select Write files/folders to disc, add the folder that BD Rebuilder made and Imgburn will adjust Blu-ray settings correctly.

Problems
    If the burned Blu-ray wont play on your PS3/Blu-ray player then try AVCHD.Patcher, https://www.videohelp.com/download/AVCHD-Patcher_1.05.rar , drag and drop the index.bdmv in the BDMV folder on it and then burn with Imgburn.

Be sure that you have installed a newer version of ffdshow and all the other required tools, haali media splitter and avisynth.

And BD Rebuilder is STILL in BETA so it will NOT work on every system and with all Blu-ray movies. So wait for new releases if you get any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hey Baldrick! I have a question for you, I dont know if you can answer it or not, but how do I get it so I can get the english ac3 tracks as well? Currently I am backing up The Incredible Hulk, but its showing I have just HD_Master, Multi-Ch, English. Do you know if there is a way to include the other 2 ac3 2 channel audio files. I went and looked at the audio selection list, as u suggested above, but I was unsure what to check and what to uncheck as far as all that. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nevermind Figured it out!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So can this work with VISTA?

Also does this work well with a PS3?

Is this a similar process in principal to dvd shrink for dvds?

One last question - Can you preserve chapters with the final dvd burn? I don't really need menus and I know some don't have menus - at least there were hd-dvds that did not have menus - just the pop up in movie menus.

-----------------

My main reason for looking into this is two fold - I don't have a bluray burner and I want to back up high def video for playback - and I have been trying the mp4 backup route with less than ideal success. ALso I don't know if you can do chapters in high def mp4 video.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does work with the PS3 in 'Movie Only Mode' but not in 'Full Backup'.

Does preserve chapters in full backup but not sure about movie only chapters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @megahurts - thanks for the feedback.

I wonder why it would not preserve chapters in movie only if it does in full mode??? Anyway sounds like it would be worth checking into at least.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a problem with bdrebuilder showing as a data disc on my son's Ps3........worked fine on my Samsung Bdp-1400.That is when I stumbled on a little app called Avchd- patcher V.105 ......Just drop the Index.bdmv file to the app. after the patching just follow the instructions and voila no more data disc.........All works well.Check this
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15285018
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MELIS - thanks for the tip.

I tried AVCHD Patcaher v1.05 on a full disk backup but it wouldn't patch so I tried v1.04 and it worked. It showed as an AVCHD disc on the PS3. It played through all the warnings and trailers then crashed before the main menu.

Tried a different full disc backup and v1.05 worked and the PS3 played it normal. The menu came after the movie on this one, but still worked.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I got lucky on the first try with V.1.05,goin to try another movie I will keep you posted.....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hey Sorry, the process worked for me but I couldnt burn the disc. The file size came out a little too big(I think because I selected all the english audio tracks). I am trying it again and will let you guys know If I have any issues!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Alright guys!
    I did a backup of The Dark Knight. It took about 2 and half to 3 days to get done. But it worked file size was right. The only problem I have now is it plays fine on the PS3 but it wont play on my LG3000 Blu-Ray Player!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Jake802

I also have a q6600 processor and it never takes longer than 8 hours using BD-Rebuilder. Usually 5-6 hrs. for a DVD5/9 full disc or movie only.

Are you saving to a DVD5/9 or BD-RE?

I noticed that saving to a DVD-RW will play on a PS3 but not on a Philips Blu-ray player but saved on a DVD+R, it will play on both. Maybe that is the issue with your LG player.
    Quote Quote  
  13. BD Full Disc. LG BD-RE Disc. And I take it back about 30-45mins in, it randomly skipped. So Im back to the drawing board!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had an Lg bh200 that would not play anything I copied on Bd-re or Dvds. The Samsung Bdp-1400 played them all..............I returned the player just for that........other blogs report similar problems and attributed to firmware issues, which Lg is aware of. With HDdvd on dvds the player had no problems.........go figure.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

What a great program. And great guide also. But i have a retarded question. Im trying to backup my g*dfather BD. I have tried this new program which worked fine. But when i put the BDMV and certificate folders on IMGburn on 2.50 udf. When i put it in the PS3 i was hoping to see the AVCHD disc icon, but istead it was a data disc icon and i could go through the folder and pick the M2ts files to watch. But i thought if ripped onto a AVCHD disc i could have menu's and all that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by superhulk
    Hi

What a great program. And great guide also. But i have a retarded question. Im trying to backup my g*dfather BD. I have tried this new program which worked fine. But when i put the BDMV and certificate folders on IMGburn on 2.50 udf. When i put it in the PS3 i was hoping to see the AVCHD disc icon, but istead it was a data disc icon and i could go through the folder and pick the M2ts files to watch. But i thought if ripped onto a AVCHD disc i could have menu's and all that.
    Use https://www.videohelp.com/download/AVCHD-Patcher_1.05.rar , drag and drop the index.bdmv file in the BDMV folder on it and then burn use imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much Baldrick for your help. But it still does not work. I have tried what you suggested, did not work, Then i tried to do what this bit of the guide says:

Run XVI32 and open the index.bdmv file that was changed. You need to edit INDX0200 to read INDX0100. To do this select the 2 in INDX0200 at the top right as shown in the image below. Type the number 1 and save the file.

5) Now open MovieObject.bdmv from the same directory in XVI32. Similar to the last step, change MOBJ0200 to MOBJ100. Change the 2 shown in the image below to a 1, save the file.

6) Copy the revised index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv files from /BDMV to /BDMV/BACKUP. You'll need to overwrite the files that are already in the backup directory.

7) Burn the /BDMV folder with all the contents to a DVD using UDF 2.5 format. Step 4 from this guide shows how to set the disc format with ImgBurn or Nero. AVCHD does not seem to include the /CERTIFICATE folder from BDMV, but it doesn't appear to matter if you also burn /CERTIFICATE with /BDMV.

Im not a total newb, I do usually use ripbot but i thought this would be better for G*^father because of the subtitles. I cant quite get them to work with suprip. All the lines are messed up. And if i went through GF2 theres like 1'500 lines i would be doing it forever. By they way this backup way works opn my PC with POWERDVD. But i really need it to work on my PS3. Any other help please?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe just wait for a new bd rebuilder release....
    Quote Quote  
  19. I am doing BD Full Disc Copies. Using the an LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner. With LG BD-RE Discs, On a Pentium Core 2 Duo E6850, with 6GBs of RAM. It is taking me almost 3 days to do one full disc and then the disc played(but skips randomly)on the PS3. The disc won't play at all on an LG3000 Blu-Ray Player! The conversion times seem to be too long to me, and I don't understand why they're not playing is all. I love the way the program works and what it does though! I did notice that my blu-ray burner shows as SCSI under device mgr and two of my hard drives do as well. Could this be an issue? And if so how do i fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    superhulk

If there is a 00000.bdjo file in the BDMV/BDJO folder then the PS3 won't allow it to play from a DVD5/9. It will play if it is burned to a BD-RE disc.
    If you use 'Movie only' mode, the burned DVD will play on a PS3.

You can use the original subtitles using Ripbot if you save as a 'blu-ray disc' and check 'keep jobs queue'. Use TsMuxer to remux the 00001.m2ts file made from Ripbot and the Sup file in the temp folder. To use the original chapter points, edit the chapter.txt file in the temp folder to be used in TsMuxer/Blu-ray chapter settings.
    Create a blu-ray disc.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jake802

I believe BD rebuilder defaults to 'Trellis algorithm' under Settings/Setup. Uncheck it and see if the coversion time improves drastically. 3 days is way toooo loooong.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks! Ill give it a try and let you know! Will it effect anything else if I uncheck it?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by MEL15
    I had an Lg bh200 that would not play anything I copied on Bd-re or Dvds. The Samsung Bdp-1400 played them all..............I returned the player just for that........other blogs report similar problems and attributed to firmware issues, which Lg is aware of. With HDdvd on dvds the player had no problems.........go figure.
    Alright guys! I did a simple TSMuxer Movie Only Copy of the Incredible Hulk. Burned it with IMGBurn(and the UDF Settings)and have no problem in either player! So its not the LG Player. It's gotta be something I am doing wrong!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jake802
    Originally Posted by MEL15
    Alright guys! I did a simple TSMuxer Movie Only Copy of the Incredible Hulk. Burned it with IMGBurn(and the UDF Settings)and have no problem in either player! So its not the LG Player. It's gotta be something I am doing wrong!
    You got really lucky, tried that with my Lg and would'nt play it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i just did a movie only rip and only selected the subs and audio i need. I ripped it to a DL disc. But when put into my ps3 it all come on with near perfect picture, BUT the stupid film keeps being laggy and slow. Great program im just getting sick of waiting a day or more then wasting a DL and the bloody thing still dont work. I used some instructions that megahurt sent me, But im at a loss how to get it to work now. What if i use ts muxer to load the movie and sup file, and convert to m2ts file. Will that work?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick, thanks for the PM the other day pointing me towards BD Rebuilder. I successfuly backed up my Blade Runner blu-ray onto a DVD9 (movie only) using the PS3 patch. I've spent the last couple of days doing quality comparison tests on a PS3 via a 2m wide picture provided my my Sanyo Z2000. I referenced pixelation / soft focus / noise "issues" on the back-up with the original blu-ray and I must say, for the vast majority they were on the original blu-ray too. It was my plan buy a 1Tb external drive and store just pure blu-ray rips on it as a feed to the PS3 but now I'm pretty sure I'll be using BD Rebuilder. So my experience was that there was a bit more noise on the back-up but nothing that spoiled the show. The colours on the backup seemed to be a little weaker but that could have been my imagination.

Has anyone used the colour boost option yet? What results have you got with it?

Also, will BD Rebuilder work on HD-DVD rips to produce the same result?

It would be nice it BD rebuilder had a queue function and a shut-down PC when finished option too like Ripbot. Also a box to tick to produce PS3 compatable rips straight off the bat would be nice too.

Thanks again for your help and for this guide. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time. It's always good to have your data backed up.

Regards,

YP
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried BD Rebuilder for the first time, and everything went well except for extreme stuttering on my PS3. The whole process went through uneventfully. I did movie only mode, and in setup I ticked the option for movie only mode extra AVCHD compliance (I guessed I should check this since I was doing movie only...and compliance is a good thing, right?).

I burned on Verbatim DVD+R DL from my LG DVD burner (at 2.4x speed...the native speed of the disc). The picture looks great, but it stutters terribly from the second it starts. I tried three discs and two burners. In each case the video stuttered (the sound was great and did not stutter at all). I'm compressing to a DVD5 right now just to see if that stutters or not, but I really want to get the DVD9 working. I've burned and played a DVD9 AVCHD disc on my PS3 before, Star Wars Episode 4 that was recorded off TV, so I know it can play them (and I burned on media from the same spindle that's I'm using now...although my burners are new).

Has anyone else run into this stuttering/skipping issue on their PS3? I would love to get this working and it seems like its so close.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just as a follow up to my last post...

I compressed my blu ray (Pirates of the Caribbean) to a DVD5 and ran into the exact same issue as when I made a DVD9. The weird thing being that it was stuttering at exactly the same places. I then tried playing the directories off of my hard drive through PowerDVD 8. Both the DVD5 and DVD9 directories played perfectly. I then played the m2ts files through PowerDVD 8 directly from both DVDs just to make sure the DVDs were OK. Again, both played perfectly. Next, I tried a regular burned DVD in my PS3 (from the same drive I'm burning these AVCHD discs). The regular DVD played perfectly. I'm at a loss. Is it possible I'm burning the AVCHD discs with the wrong settings? I let it use the defaults imgBurn suggested (UDF and 2.50). Is there anything else I could be missing?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great guide Baldrick but I'm having the same problem as superhulk and stazna01 when playing back a DVD9 on the PS3 - extreme stuttering.

I'm using BD Rebuilder to do a Movie Only backup of "The Pursuit of Happyness" at the highest quality (slowest encoding) setting for a DVD9 (DVD+R DL). Then I patch the index.bdmv using AVCHD.Patcher.

My PS3 identifies the disc as an AVCHD and start playing. Audio is fine but video has extreme stuttering (losing more frames than it displays).

(Possible red herring but testing the m2ts file on my PC with VLC gives almost identical stuttering to the PS3 and stats show many dropped frames - playing at half speed in VLC and it's looks great with no dropped frames)

If anyone has had this problem and worked out a solution please post the answer and put me out of my misery! Many thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BD Rebuilder doesn't work with HD-DVD files,use Ripbot it does work on HD-DVD files.
    Quote Quote