VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have a JVC GR-DV801 MiniDv CamCorder that doesn't show up in my Device Manager, nothing happens when I plug it in, no sounds or anything.
    (Link for CamCorder Manual down below)

The FireWire Card that I am using is a Star tech, 2 port PCIe 1394a built with a TI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. (Link down below)
    This Card dose show up in the in the Device Manager and says its working fine

I've gone through the Manual and settings of the CamCorder and didn't see any settings that would effect the DV port

I have tried Legacy Drivers and nothing happens
    I have tried turning the camera on before turning the computer on and vise versa
    I have tried a new card and a different Pc running Windows 7 with a fire wire port on its motherboard, still nothing
    I have tried one other cable and nothing happened
    I have tried Re seating the card
    I have tried WinDV, VirtualDUB2, and Scenalyzer none of them recognize the camera

The CamCorder is in very good condition but the FireWire port had never been used until now, I'm beginning to think that the FireWire Port on my CamCorder is broken

Any suggestions would very much be helpful, maybe I missed something in the manual or there's something I can still do to connect it to my computer,
    also please let me know if there's any way I can safely test the DV port on my CamCorder with maybe a specialize tool or multimeter, I might be willing to open it as well.

FireWire Card - https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/pex1394a2v2 or Search StarTech.com Part# PEX1394A2V2

JVC GR-DV801 Digital Video Camera - https://www33.jvckenwood.com/pdfs/LYT1107-001D.pdf?_ga=2.13905847.1243100085.172457255...600.1724572558

PC Specs:
    Running Windows 10 Pro
    Motherboard - NZXT N7 B550
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    GPU - Zotac Gaming RTX 3080
    RAM - Corsair 2x16 GB DDR4

Thank you everyone in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bukox3 View Post
    Hi, I have a JVC GR-DV801 MiniDv CamCorder that doesn't show up in my Device Manager, nothing happens when I plug it in, no sounds or anything.
    As long there is nothing showing up in the device manager, no capture software will work either.

Firewire ports are easily damaged:
    Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    And be careful when connecting firewire devices to a PC.
    Specially the firewire with Sony camcorders are prone to get damaged when connected to a working PC.
    Best to connect everything when powered off.
    Originally Posted by Bukox3 View Post
    Any suggestions would very much be helpful, maybe I missed something in the manual or there's something I can still do to connect it to my computer,
    Well, the manual of your camcorder mentions a USB connection:
    Using USB cable
    It is possible to do the following things:
    ● Transfer still/moving images recorded on a tape to a PC.
    ● Capture still/moving images in real-time.
    ● Use this camcorder as a WebCam.
    And a similar model (GR-DV800) is mentioned in this thread:
    Tape-based Digital8, DV and HDV camcorders capable of sending video via USB

So it is worth a try with USB I think?

Indeed, some newer generation models can transfer/stream the full DV stream through the USB.
    I have used it too, many years ago.
    And some similar discussion then too.

Camcorder output quality USB 2.0 vs DV firewire? OP Update 01/08

Some DV camcorders indeed can transfer the full DV stream through USB, from the specs from that Panasonic it seems possible.
    http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/dv/global/products/nv-gs320/
    USB 2.0 compatibility lets you upload DV data to a PC at high speed over a single USB cable.
    The problem is getting the right software to work, most only support DV through firewire.

But you should try the (now free!) ScenalyzerLive
    http://www.scenalyzer.com/

I have used that software myself capturing the full DV data through USB from camcorder, it's worth a try.
    Try that Scenalyzer and see if it works or not?
    See also:
    Last edited by The_Doman; 17th Oct 2024 at 07:32.
    Quote Quote