VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I'm believe Sharc gave me the MCDegrainSharp.avsi or a link to it.
    Mine is for 32-bit avisynth plus.

It goes in the "plugins+" folder.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Deleted - see post #30
    Last edited by Bermuda1; 30th Sep 2024 at 09:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @Sharc
    So I made a few changes to your script. I could not find the SmoothLevels on the avisynth website so I used SmoothAdjust instead - seems to do the exact same thing. I also set the QTGMC preset to slower. Otherwise I kept everything as per your script and the result is fantastic I must say. Thanks a lot! See video attached.

Code:
    AviSource("Beethoven_Klaviersonate-short.avi").trim(5,0).converttoYV16(interlaced=true)
    assumeTFF()
    assumefps(25)
    QTGMC(preset="Slower", EdiThreads=2)
    crop(12,0,-12,-8)
    SmoothAdjust_SmoothLevels(16,1.0,235,0,235)
    bilinearresize(width/2,height).bicubicresize(width,height)
    MCDegrainSharp()
    converttoYV12()
    #now encode x264 using -SAR 12/11
    Prefetch(2)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Bermuda1; 30th Sep 2024 at 10:01.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Use AviSource() for .avi files, not FFMPEGSource2

Eventualy use the original audio (which is untouched anyhow) in the final output, with AudioDub() command
    ffms2 works great with DV-AVI. Better than LibavVideoSource, but I don't remember what was wrong with the latter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not as good as installing a DV codec and using AviSource() in my experience
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Not as good as installing a DV codec and using AviSource() in my experience
    As you can see from this thread -- not necessarily.
    And I've already converted a lot of DV-AVI tapes using ffms2.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bermuda1 View Post
    @Sharc
    So I made a few changes to your script. I could not find the SmoothLevels on the avisynth website so I used SmoothAdjust instead - seems to do the exact same thing. I also set the QTGMC preset to slower. Otherwise I kept everything as per your script and the result is fantastic I must say. Thanks a lot! See video attached.

Code:
    AviSource("Beethoven_Klaviersonate-short.avi").trim(5,0).converttoYV16(interlaced=true)
    assumeTFF()
    assumefps(25)
    crop(12,0,-12,-8)
    MCDegrainSharp()
    converttoYV12()
    Prefetch(2)
    Just to mention a difference: For no obvious reason your variant (left) denoises more but blurs more than mine (right) of post#29. See for example the plants in the background. The compromise is a matter of personal preference though, not to argue.

Edit: I see you were using a different (blurrier?) source file. That may be the reason for the difference in sharpness/details.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 1st Oct 2024 at 03:20.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    As you can see from this thread -- not necessarily.
    Where did you see in this thread that ffms2 is better? Did I miss something?

Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    And I've already converted a lot of DV-AVI tapes using ffms2
    Sure. I just dislike its many versions around, leading different results.
    Interesting reading here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382528-How-to-achieve-best-results-decompressing-d...fore-restoring
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by Bermuda1 View Post
    @Sharc

Code:
    assumeTFF()
    assumefps(25)
    crop(12,0,-12,-8)
    MCDegrainSharp()
    converttoYV12()
    Prefetch(2)
    Just to mention a difference: For no obvious reason your variant (left) denoises more but blurs more than mine (right) of post#29. See for example the plants in the background. The compromise is a matter of personal preference though, not to argue.

Edit: I see you were using a different (blurrier?) source file. That may be the reason for the difference in sharpness/details.
    Hey Sharc,
    It’s the same source file, I just renamed it. Since there are only two differences in our code, I can only imagine it’s either because I used QTGMC “slower” or because SmoothAdjust works different than SmoothLevels. I will try using the “fast” preset that you used. See how it comes out. Will update later.
    Quote Quote  
  10. So I used QTGMC preset=Fast now. That did not change anything. Still very blurry compared to your version. @Sharc: can you provide the .dll or .avsi file for "SmoothLevels" that you used please? I am curious if its the "SmoothAdjust" that I am using, which is causing the blurry effect.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Bermuda1 View Post
    Still very blurry compared to your version. @Sharc: can you provide the .dll or .avsi file for "SmoothLevels" that you used please? I am curious if its the "SmoothAdjust" that I am using, which is causing the blurry effect.
    v3.20 is available from here:
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/SmoothAdjust

or here the plugins.
    In your script simply use it as SmoothLevels(......). It's included in the .dll

Edit:
    Maybe it's my bad and I picked the file which used less horizontal downscaling for the dotcrawl suppression. You can experiment with it.
    I think this would explain the mystery. Sorry for the confusion. Try with:
    Code:
    bilinearresize(480,height).bicubicresize(width,height)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 1st Oct 2024 at 11:25.
    Quote Quote