VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Often, when playing a DVD (VIDEO_TS) the player hangs on a user added menu.
    (Play all, play part so and so, etc)

The only workaround I know and use is to load it into TMPGEnc Video Mastering and re-encode the file to a .mp4
    This usually takes somewhere between 1h30 to 2h.

I am not an expert, but I wonder whether there is an easier way.

In the past I tried "WinX HDVideo Converter DeLuxe" but the results were disappointing, stuttering choppy video.
    Could not get it fixed. So I returned to TMPGEnc Video Mastering that got me good results, but it takes a lllonngg time.

Any alternative methods?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    IfoEdit OR PgcEdit, I presume. No reencoding and no reauthoring required.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're happy with just one big file, there are various options for doing so. I have written a guide using AVIDemux to convert the DVD to a single MPEG file, no recoding here. After you've got it set up, go down to the "Convert multiple VOBs to a Single MPG" section. Another option is to use DVDVOB2MPG. It will do a similar job; you'll end up with just a single MPEG 2 file.

If disk space isn't an issue, I suggest you leave the file in MPEG 2 and don't recode to MP4; it's just another encode which will reduce quality a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @alwyn - THANK you so much! I really appreciate it.
    Downloaded AVIDemux and installed it, went through all the steps in your tutorial. It is easy and clear. Super.
    However, at the very very end (last paragraph) - "That’s it, now do a Save As..." there is no 'Save As' only 'Save'.
    and I regret I do not an option to save as MP4.

But.. no doubt I am doing something wrong.

The DVD is reduced from 4.3GB to 1.5GB, poor quality I am afraid.
    I do not care about the size. Video Mastering Works produces about the same size, roughly 4.2-4.3.
    Is there a way to improve it?
    Also how to have subtitles displayed?

Sorry for all the questions.

[Attachment 81268 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "That’s it, now do a Save As..." there is no 'Save As' only 'Save'.
    Ooops, yes, you're right, the option on the file menu is "Save". All the settings you have there are correct: basically, Video>Copy, Audio>Copy (with the track you want) and then select MPEG PS Muxer.

I'm not doing anything with the Video menu on the Configure button.

When you hit Save, in the next box, the Save As Type should be MPEG and when you hit the Save button, within a couple of minutes you'll have all the VOBs joined up with no recoding. If the DVD was full, you'll get an MPEG similar size and it will be the same quality as the DVD.

Unfortunately, this method does not bring across any subs; nor does DVDVOB2MPG as far as I am aware.

MakeMKV will rip DVDs directly into MKV format with the MPEG 2 codec unchanged; it might bring the subs.

Added: you can do a quick check on the saved file: open it in AVIDemux and go File>Information. If you're not seeing MPEG as the Codec 4CC, the VOBs have been recoded.

Added2: I've updated my website to make that "Save" clearer, and also added a note about the subtitles.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 6th Aug 2024 at 10:15.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you want to keep VIDEO_TS or burn it back to a DVD, as was suggested in first response, use PGCEdit (no installation needed).

Load that VIDEO_TS (It has to be on your hardisk), perhaps one jump needs to be changed, where instead jumping into a menu, it will jump into a title. You might post commands here and get help, that's for sure, these things are really easy, but they are difficult to explain. So you'd be told what to post from PGCEdit and a replacing command would be recommended. Then you save that VIDEO_TS and use it. You can burn it back to a DVD disk again if wanting to.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    This what I use - easy & quick, free, no loss of quality:
    https://www.makemkv.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry for my late reaction.

Thank you all for the responses. Super.

Let me try MakeMKV and get back on this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Bad luck...

MakeMKV - Only got three "!Errtemplate" files

[Attachment 81287 - Click to enlarge]

Can not find a working solution on Internet.
    The only solution I found is naming file {NAME1} but that did not work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Been a while, but IIRC, dvddecrypter and dvdshrink can easily just extract the main title, w/ no menus, all as 1 contiguous file. They may be old apps, but they have lots of features under the hood, and neither decryption nor shrinking has to be necessary for them to work well (on home titles like what I assume yours is).

Scott
    Quote Quote