VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Am facing a bit of a problem with subtitles when playing a video file (.mkv, or .mp4) directly from USB HDD to my TV.

First: in the above scenario (USB HDD > TV, so, without a separate media player), separate .srt files are not 'detected', so the video will play without subtitles.

I want subtitles to -always...- be displayed, i.e. it should be burned in so to say.

Am a bit confused as to how to proceed in the below scenarios:

1. mp4 file with separate .srt
    2. mkv enabling forced display, or not.

1) mp4 files and separate .srt
    What simple tool to use so as to have the subs always displayed, i.e. not something to be selected or so, as that doesn't seem to properly work in the above scenario.
    Can I use mkvtoolnixgui for this?

2) mkv files
    when loading a mkv file into mkvtoolnixgui, it shows that a subtitle is available in the mkv file.
    a. when I play the mkv file (without any changes), on my PC, using MPC-BE it will display the subtitles
    b. when I enable 'Forced display' within mkvtoolnixgui, it will also display the subtitles
    enable forced display makes no difference.
    c. when I disable subtitles within MPC-BE, in both above cases, i.e. with/without Forced Display, the subtitles are not displayed.

I intend to buy a media player one of these days, so I can then manually enable subtitles using the media player.
    Right now, there is no media player in between.

TV does not recognize separate .srt files
    to avoid other video files played without subtitles I want them to be always displayed.

Many thanks for advices as to how to proceed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most TV players doesnt respect the forced sub flag, so the way to follow is
    1) use an extern mediaplayer that respects the forced sub flag, via HDMI
    2) burn in the sub, so it's played always.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The only way to be sure subtitles will always be displayed is to burn them into the video. That will take a lot of time and reduce the quality of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Many thanks for the feedback. Will go for a media player. Most probably the NVIDEA Shield TV Pro, reportedly one the best.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  5. At the other end of the spectrum you have the Onn media players from Walmart for US$20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Google-TV-4K-Streaming-Box-New-2023-4K-UHD-Resolution/2835618394

I have an older version of that and it's a decent media player. The problem you'll have is that it only has one USB port and that's used to power the device. If you need another USB port you'll need a powered USB Hub with Power Delivery. Or you can make your videos available via WiFi. The Shield is better if you need built in storage or want to play lots of games on the device.
    Quote Quote  
  6. BTW - right now I need to figure out how to get the .srt into the mp4.
    any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  7. SRT isn't a valid format for the mp4 container. They must be converted to mov_text format, aka, Timed Text. You can use ffmpeg for this:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i source.mkv -i source.srt -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text output.mp4
    Oh, I believe you can "force" them with:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i source.mkv -i source.srt -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text -disposition:s:0 default+forced output.mp4
    Not all players will respond to that though.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Jul 2024 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    BTW - right now I need to figure out how to get the .srt into the mp4.
    any suggestions?
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Load your file, click main, click encode video stream, click keep size, click various, check burn in subtitle, set external file, drag & drop your srt subtitle, click ok.
    Then click encode.
    If finished, click multiplex, your new created videostream with burnt in subtitle is shown in green, deselect the original videostream (in blue) on the left, see if all other streams are selected, set mp4 as container and click multiplex.
    Done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MKV is a more flexible container. You coukd simply drag a mp4 file into mkvtoolnix and convert to MKV. Then you could add or remove any elements. I use a Zidoo standalone media player and it respects all flags. If you add an external sub file then it defaults always on. Srt, ass, pgs etc etc. it also respects flags on internal subs within MKV
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    Am facing a bit of a problem with subtitles when playing a video file (.mkv, or .mp4) directly from USB HDD to my TV.

First: in the above scenario (USB HDD > TV, so, without a separate media player), separate .srt files are not 'detected', so the video will play without subtitles.

I want subtitles to -always...- be displayed, i.e. it should be burned in so to say.

Am a bit confused as to how to proceed in the below scenarios:

1. mp4 file with separate .srt
    2. mkv enabling forced display, or not.

1) mp4 files and separate .srt
    What simple tool to use so as to have the subs always displayed, i.e. not something to be selected or so, as that doesn't seem to properly work in the above scenario.
    Can I use mkvtoolnixgui for this?

2) mkv files
    when loading a mkv file into mkvtoolnixgui, it shows that a subtitle is available in the mkv file.
    a. when I play the mkv file (without any changes), on my PC, using MPC-BE it will display the subtitles
    b. when I enable 'Forced display' within mkvtoolnixgui, it will also display the subtitles
    enable forced display makes no difference.
    c. when I disable subtitles within MPC-BE, in both above cases, i.e. with/without Forced Display, the subtitles are not displayed.

I intend to buy a media player one of these days, so I can then manually enable subtitles using the media player.
    Right now, there is no media player in between.

TV does not recognize separate .srt files
    to avoid other video files played without subtitles I want them to be always displayed.

Many thanks for advices as to how to proceed.
    In mkvtoolnix also make sure the track you want has the default flag set to yes as well as forced dispaly
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sorry for the delay folks.

Many thanks for all the advices!
    I'll probably go for mkvtoolnix first
    Else the ffmpeg thing as advised by @jagabo

thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The forced flag may not be supported in mp4, or maybe just ffmpeg doesn't support it in mp4. MediaInfo shows the default and forced flags set in MKV files when set by ffmpeg. But only the default flag shows as set in mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  13. @jagabo - I believe you have quite a knowledge of ffmpeg. Please ... would have a look at thread

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/415313-Can-I-convert-1080i-to-1080p-using-TMPGEnc-Video-Mastering-v-6

about converting 1080i to 1080p

thanks
    Quote Quote