VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I got a Canon MV930 Camcorder and some MiniDVs to capture to my pc.
    I bought an August VGB100 capture card and it works perfectly fine.
    But i noticed that my capture were 25p and not 25i which means i lost the smooth footage to a choppy one when capturing.
    I looked on this forum and found that the interlaced video depends only of the software i'm using (i used the one that came with the Capture Card "Vhs to DVD")
    I tried virtualdub but the software is kinda old and whenever i choose my audio source (The capture card) i get a black screen.
    I got a PAL camcorder shooting in 16:9 so i guess the resolution should be 720x480 i guess.
    Anyways, i got a bit of trouble getting an interlaced video, how should I proceed?

Thanks for considering
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try using the Amarectv software if you want to capture the camera's analog out.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/AmaRecTV
    Why don't you get a firewire card and capture the digital content as is ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll second Dave. Firewire is the preferred option.

Re using AmarecTV, I have written a guide here. The VGB100 will output Interlaced using AmarecTV and VDub.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 28th Jun 2024 at 22:23. Reason: S-Video comment deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perusing the manual, the 930 doesn't appear to have a S-Video port, so only Composite video Out (apart from Firewire).

The recommendation is therefore to use Firewire if you can. You'll get better-quality video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your answer, i'll check out for firewire but do you have some recommendations ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I managed to record well with amarectv the only thing i wonder is if i must record 25fps or 50fps to capture the 50 fields from interlaced signal
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Set it to 25 and use a lossless codec, such as UT codec
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For UTVideo, use the YUV422 BT.601 VCM (ULY2) codec:

[Attachment 80319 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answer, i'll check out for firewire but do you have some recommendations ?
    This topic has the most up-to-date info. For Win 10/11, I'm recommending a VIA-based Firewire PCIe card.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/414349-Best-1394B-PCIE-Card-That-Still-Works-with-DV-Camcorders
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I knew I should have asked sooner, you are a great help guys!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    For UTVideo, use the YUV422 BT.601 VCM (ULY2) codec:

[Attachment 80319 - Click to enlarge]
    How do i make it record in 16:9, the video is squeezed in 4:3 and there's no such settings the codec settings
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's all done in post-capture processing. All digitisers (generally speaking) capture either 720x480 (NTSC), or 720x576 (PAL). There's no specific aspect ratio established at capture. That said, all analogue captures will be 4:3, so if you have a 16:9 video (I assume from your camcorder?) then, in whatever software you use to process your video into a viewable format eg MP4, you will be able to establish a 16:9 video so your Widescreen MiniDV will be correct.

Throwing a spanner into the mix, because analogue AVIs don't have any stored aspect ratios at all, software generally interprets the video as the actual pixel count ratio. For example, MediaInfo (widely used) will give an AR of 3:2 for a NTSC capture of 720x480, when in fact the video is correct when viewed at 4:3. Similarly, 720x576 is interpreted as 5:4, when once again, it's correct AR is 4:3.

So, don't worry about the squeezed video; there's nothing you can do about it and you will correct in POST.

A DV/Firewire capture, on the other hand, will have no such oddities and will output with the aspect ratio that the tape was shot.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    alright thank you
    Quote Quote