VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've recently tried to capture my VHS tapes using OBS v30.1.2 and USB Video Capture Adapter Cable - S-Video/Composite to USB 2.0 from StarTech (https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-video-products/svid2usb232)

With the S-video I have this rainbow-like effect, any ideas on how to solve it?

[Attachment 80270 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. use a composite cable (yellow) OR use a s-vhs deck
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's probably a crappy capture adapter. I'd try something more consistently decent like the Startech video capture or the GV-USB2
    Quote Quote  
  4. The character generator in most VHS decks don't create a fully compliant analog signal. How does it look when you're actually capturing from a tape? And, of course, you shouldn't be capturing SD analog video with OBS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ForgerL View Post
    And what exactly is your S-Video source and how is it configured/connected to your capture device?
    You can see the common JVC VCR menu-checkerboard pattern but this looks a misconfigured cable connection.
    See also this topic:
    S-Video checkerboard pattern (JVC VCR)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks everyone for their interest and answers.

Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    use a composite cable (yellow) OR use an S-VHS deck
    With a yellow composite cable seems to improve, but I was told that the video quality is lower, so let's aim for the best one.

Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
    It's probably a crappy capture adapter. I'd try something more consistently decent like the Startech video capture or the GV-USB2
    It's already a Startech video capture hardware, or are you referring to the software?

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The character generator in most VHS decks don't create a fully compliant analoge signal. How does it look when you're actually capturing from a tape? And, of course, you shouldn't be capturing SD analog video with OBS.
    I don't know what you are referring exactly when saying how does it look when I'm capturing, as the image is a frame of a video already captured. Furthermore, I've used OBS because in this youtube video seems fine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk-n7IlrXI4), maybe VirtualDub is the correct option?. It is the recommended one then?.

Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    And what exactly is your S-Video source and how is it configured/connected to your capture device?
    You can see the common JVC VCR menu-checkerboard pattern but this looks a misconfigured cable connection.
    See also this topic:
    S-Video checkerboard pattern (JVC VCR)
    Here is some more information about the setup:
    -JVC HR-J311 (PAL)
    -SCART device that has the 3 composite and the S-Video
    -The adapter and the S-Video cable was pretty cheap.
    -The composite ones where more expensive, they are 3 separate cables.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here is some more information about the setup:
    -JVC HR-J311 (PAL)
    -SCART device that has the 3 composite and the S-Video
    -The adapter and the S-Video cable was pretty cheap.
    -The composite ones where more expensive, they are 3 separate cables.
    That is a regular (mono) VCR, not a S-VHS VCR, so it outputs only composite, not S-Video.
    The S-Video connection on those SCART adapters can only work correctly if there is a S-Video signal available on the SCART, they not convert composite to S-Video.
    So only use/connect the composite and the two audio connections and set your capture device to composite.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 29th Jun 2024 at 04:53.
    Quote Quote