VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Running into an issue with some red color bleeding that seems to be shifted towards the left-side of the video. I've tried a few different things:

https://openmodeldb.info/models/1x-BleedOut-Compact - This gets rid of it at the cost of messing up the colors in the video.

Tried shifting the luma/chroma using Overlay:
    Code:
    Spline36Resize(400, height)
    # Using one (or both) of these seems to lessen the issue. But it also causes the overall picture to look really bad.
    Overlay(GreyScale(last), last, x=-4, mode="luma")
    Overlay(last, GreyScale(last), x=4, mode="chroma")
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=704, fheight=480)
    Tried using Chromashift
    Code:
    Chromashift(c=4) # This seems to lessen it a bit as well, but not by much, and any more than this messes up the image too much
    I noticed when messing with the saturation that there seems to be a general shift towards the left side with a lot of bleeding in general that I'm having trouble fixing via Overlay. Was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions?

[Attachment 80126 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks for any help!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. (Ignoring all the other issues in the source.)
    I don't think this is chroma bleeding, increasing the saturation (to really see what you are talking about):

BasicVSR++ on chroma only, gives this (again boosted saturation):

see also: https://imgsli.com/Mjc0MzE1
    (attached an encoded sample, where the saturation wasn't boosted )

Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Selur; 24th Jun 2024 at 09:17.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    (Ignoring all the other issues in the source.)
    I don't think this is chroma bleeding, increasing the saturation (to really see what you are talking about):

BasicVSR++ on chroma only, gives this (again boosted saturation):

see also: https://imgsli.com/Mjc0MzE1
    (attached an encoded sample, where the saturation wasn't boosted )

Cu Selur
    Thanks Selur!

Yeah there's a few other issues in the source lol I have a few filters in place to solve most everything else, though. The BasicVSR++ solution looks really good! I know how to get BasicVSR++ working via Hybrid, but to apply it only to the chroma, are you doing that via Avisynth by chance?
    Quote Quote  
  4. No, I used Hybrid, it has additional controls can be enabled under "Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->UI" and using the 'Merge' option, one can tell Hybrid to only use the filtered chroma and keep the luma:

Afaik. there is no way atm. to use BasicVSR++ in Avisynth.
    If you want to filter this in Avisynth, you will probably need to look into masking and maybe better not try to filter YUV, but RGB.

Cu Selur

Ps.: Update: When using Avisynth, applying SwinIR (from avs-mlrt) only on the chroma seems like a decent approach too.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Selur; 24th Jun 2024 at 11:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    No, I used Hybrid, it has additional controls can be enabled under "Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->UI" and using the 'Merge' option, one can tell Hybrid to only use the filtered chroma and keep the luma:

Afaik. there is no way atm. to use BasicVSR++ in Avisynth.
    If you want to filter this in Avisynth, you will probably need to look into masking and maybe better not try to filter YUV, but RGB.

Cu Selur

Ps.: Update: When using Avisynth, applying SwinIR (from avs-mlrt) only on the chroma seems like a decent approach too.
    Gotcha! Thanks a ton, I got it working and I really like the results. Thanks for the alternative as well, personally I think your first solution with BasicVSR++ worked great. There was one issue though, where it ended up messing with the chroma in other scenes pretty badly:

[Attachment 80160 - Click to enlarge]

If you look in the background you can see some bleeding (this bleeding wasn't there before the chroma merge in Hybrid). However, one of my other filters uses the following:

Code:
    MergeChroma(SMDegrain(thsad=200, tr=3, PreFilter=4), SMDegrain(thsad=2000, tr=5, PreFilter=4))
    And the SMDegrain on the chroma fixes the issue:

[Attachment 80161 - Click to enlarge]

So using both your BasicVSR++ solution and the SMDegrain on the chroma provides some really great results that takes care of 90% of the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Best first take care of other issues (halos, noise, etc. ,..).
    You can apply BasicVSR++ just to specific scenes and SMDegrain (SMDegrain(thsad=200, tr=3, PreFilter=4) for Y and SMDegrain(thsad=2000, tr=5, PreFilter=4) for UV) to the other scenes. (tr=5 really seems to be something that should only be applied to some scenes)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Best first take care of other issues (halos, noise, etc. ,..).
    You can apply BasicVSR++ just to specific scenes and SMDegrain (SMDegrain(thsad=200, tr=3, PreFilter=4) for Y and SMDegrain(thsad=2000, tr=5, PreFilter=4) for UV) to the other scenes. (tr=5 really seems to be something that should only be applied to some scenes)
    Definitely! Yeah I have some stuff for the halos and noise and a few other things.

For SMDegrain, yeah it's pretty strong filtering on the chroma. Initially I was going to just use it on this scene but it turns out the issue was happening in more than just that 1 scene. The chroma was "flashing" basically everywhere, it just happened to be the most noticeable on white surfaces. I'll upload a clip where you can see it happening on a non-white surface, if you're interested (if you look closely at the face of the guy in the black suit in the video I'll upload).

jagabo's solution in that same thread (the SMDegrain) worked really well. He mentioned that it could potentially cause some ghosting/artifacts, but luckily I haven't seen any problems caused by it yet. For the above reason though, I have to basically use it on the entire video.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote