VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've followed McPoodle's directions as best I can, and end up with a very similar graph to the guide. And my graph looks like a few other screenshots on this site. But I never get anything besides a zero kB file. I tried this with both a produced movie and some OTA recordings that I know have the Line 21 CC.Image
    [Attachment 79966 - Click to enlarge]

What might I be doing wrong? Maybe it's just the capture device?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a way to test a graph at the moment but you might want to look at this thread if you want to capture the closed captions as text: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/400333-Capturing-line-21-closed-caption-data-from-analog-source

Long story short, you need a "dump" filter for closed captions as text. The link to the doom9 thread posted in the thread I linked to above contains a link to download dump.ax. As I recall, GraphStudioNext (available from VideoHelp's software section) includes a dump filter.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Jun 2024 at 15:45. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for those links. Actually, I am using GraphStudioNext 0.7.1.30 as that what seems to run on my WinXP x86 Integral Edition. I realize I didn't mention that in the previous post, and used the more basic Graphedit in the title...

I was using GraphStudioNext's included dump filter, here labeled "cc.bin". I'd had mixed success with getting the dump.ax filter registered on other Win machines, so had given up. But, perhaps that's worth a try.

I copied the Dump.ax file from the link above and pasted it into windows\system32, then ran the below command prompt command
    C:\WINDOWS\System32> regsvr32 dump.ax /s
    as I've seen in other posts, and this time it registered!

So, I've repeated the above filter graph using both forms of the dump filter, "cc.bin" as the built in one and "clscap.bin" as the dump.ax filter. Details for the respective filters can be seen in the property dialogs. I've also shown and highlighted my output files, and both were empty, even after running the graph for at least 30 seconds.

As far as I know, this part of the graph should be what works universally for closed captions:
    [CapDev], Analog Crossbar --> [CapDev], Analog Capture (VBI) --> Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter (Splitter) --> CC Decoder --> Dump
    The rest depends on whether you want a preview or additional file captures.

A note about the other files you might notice in that directory. It may look like I found a way to make it work, but I have not. Many of the SRT files are empty, and others contain garbled/invalid text. See attachment.

Maybe it has to do with the version of CC Decoder? I included a screenshot of its property window if that helps.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mcpoodle cc cap two filters.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	811.2 KB
ID:	80060  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srt files.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	80061  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cc decoder.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	80062  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think I can help you. It has been three years since I captured anything from a composite video or S-video connection, so memory has faded. Plus, I moved last year and my one remaining analog capture device has not turned up yet. Also, I never heard of WinXP x86 Integral Edition before today and know nothing about it. I'm on Windows 11 now.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. All good. Thanks for the time and consideration.

That version of WinXP is just a unofficial community version of XP SP3 that lordsmurf recommended, as it preloads a bunch of common drivers and has a few enhancements and tweaks. Here's the mention in case anyone else wants to know what LS said about it.

I installed that version since it's most compatible with the ATI AIW PCI and TBSC cards I plan to use for capturing my whole VHS collection. The GV-USB2 used in the above graph is something I purchased earlier to test , but saw it exposed the VBI pin.
    Quote Quote