VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is about MakeMKV. I have tried to use it over the years and found that as it runs at 100% of CPU I got more heat than I was comfortable and just shut it down. My question is, does anyone know of some sort of throttle where MakeMKV could be run in the background at a low CPU rate such as (I think) Handbrake has?

Also of possible interest in the subtitle section, a user found a portable version not previously on the videohelp software list.
    Here that is:

https://rahim-soft.com/makemkv-1-10-portable/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Start the it up, then in the Windows Task Manager, Details tab, right click the task and select "set affinity".
    Remove the check mark from some of the processors
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    See if this can help?

How to cool down CPU while encoding with GPU
    Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    If you want to reduce the temperature you can also try to adjust the Turbo boost settings to less aggressive or even turn it off.
    Those settings are normally hidden in the Windows power scheme settings but you can enable them.
    Reddit: Important Update To PROPERLY DISABLE Boosting
    Ctrl.blog: Disable processor boost mode to prolong your battery life

It is mainly referred to Laptops to prevent overheating/fan noise but it works just as well for desktops.
    First try to adjust the Turbo boost mode to "efficient enabled" or "efficient aggressive" and see if this helps?

[Attachment 79551 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. @davenext

Thanks for the reminder of affinity and cores. I think I tried that in the past but will give it try with Open Hardware Monitor program open. The goal was to make the limiting within the MakeMKV program since other activities would be going on.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    @davenext

Thanks for the reminder of affinity and cores. I think I tried that in the past but will give it try with Open Hardware Monitor program open. The goal was to make the limiting within the MakeMKV program since other activities would be going on.
    This is a different issue. That's to do with dispatching priority.
    Right click the task in the details tab/set priority/low
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes not having played with any of this before I see that an adjustment can be made to the individual task.

So:

View running processes with Task Manager (the only way to find it in Win 7 search bar) > Processes > Rt click to find your program that is running > Select Properties > navigate to Low Priority
    Quote Quote  
  7. Also I did a fresh install from videohelp of MakeMKV. Does Make MKV require LIBVDCSS.dll in the folder? I do not see it llisted with the DLLs.
    Quote Quote