VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've recently acquired a JVC HR-S7700 and have been transfering some of the tapes I have left with an S-Video cable I recently got.

I've noticed that there's a "checkboard" pattern present on the capture that is not present when I use Composite. You can find some screencaps from the same capture down below.

Any clues of what's causing it?

Much appreciated

Kenny
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VHS3.avi_20240604_183618.051.png
Views:	64
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	79630  

Click image for larger version

Name:	VHS3.avi_20240604_183450.879.png
Views:	57
Size:	726.0 KB
ID:	79631  

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by kenator18; 4th Jun 2024 at 17:30. Reason: Wrong VCR reference
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What's the hardware workflow and is the S-Video cable is coaxial type and well shielded, If you bought it from a Chinese market chances are a crappy S-Video cable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    What's the hardware workflow and is the S-Video cable is coaxial type and well shielded, If you bought it from a Chinese market chances are a crappy S-Video cable.
    JVC HR-S7700 VCR < S-VIDEO cable < Dazzle DVC-100 USB < VirtualDub 1.9.11

Composite looked fine, the cable might be the issue since I got it for extremely cheap... Can you recommend me a brand for S-VIDEO cables?
    Last edited by kenator18; 4th Jun 2024 at 17:29. Reason: Wrong VCR reference
    Quote Quote  
  4. it's like that for me aswell on the menu as long as it's not on the real images don't bother. You can try all the cables you want it'll remain the same imo but a shielded cable can't hurt
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you are in the US just look for Monster cable S-Video new old stock, It may or it may not fix your problem but a good cable is a must have.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kenator18 View Post
    I've recently acquired a JVC HR-S7700 and have been transfering some of the tapes I have left with an S-Video cable I recently got.

I've noticed that there's a "checkboard" pattern present on the capture that is not present when I use Composite. You can find some screencaps from the same capture down below.

Much appreciated

Kenny
    It is most likely caused by a poorly screened S-Video cable which "converts" S-Video to composite by its crosstalk between the Y an C wires. As there is no luma/chroma separating filter in the S-video path one gets the dotcrawl, similar as known from (poor) composite. Hence a poor S-video cable clearly spoils the benefit of S-Video.
    See my explanations here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...12#post2714801
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411872-SCART-to-S-Video-adapter-strange-problems#post2708738

In the composite setup you have a Y/C separating filter (comb filter) in the loop which makes the composite capture look better than the spoiled S-video with the cheap cable.

Bottom line: Replace the crappy S-video cable by a decent one, and don't make it longer than needed (up to ~3...5 feet is normally ok for a well screened cable).
    Last edited by Sharc; 5th Jun 2024 at 02:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by kenator18 View Post
    I've recently acquired a JVC HR-S7700 and have been transfering some of the tapes I have left with an S-Video cable I recently got.

Much appreciated

Kenny
    It is most likely caused by a poorly screened S-Video cable which "converts" S-Video to composite by its crosstalk between the Y an C wires. As there is no luma/chroma separating filter in the S-video path one gets the dotcrawl, similar as known from (poor) composite. Hence a poor S-video cable clearly spoils the benefit of S-Video.
    See my explanations here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...12#post2714801
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411872-SCART-to-S-Video-adapter-strange-problems#post2708738

In the composite setup you have a Y/C separating filter (comb filter) in the loop which makes the composite capture look better than the spoiled S-video with the cheap cable.

Bottom line: Replace the crappy S-video cable by a decent one, and don't make it longer than needed (up to ~3...5 feet is normally ok for a well screened cable).
    Thanks for the information, I'll get a better cable!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If you are in the US just look for Monster cable S-Video new old stock, It may or it may not fix your problem but a good cable is a must have.
    Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    it's like that for me aswell on the menu as long as it's not on the real images don't bother. You can try all the cables you want it'll remain the same imo but a shielded cable can't hurt
    Yes, i always noticed that annoying thing with the JVC menu/blue screen too.
    If you search for JVC Checkerboard you find some similar threads.
    If i use different cables/scart/S-Video connections there is no difference.
    But it depends on the model too how more or less apparent it is showing.

I captured a few JVC's (PAL) here connected with S-Video to a Dazzle DVC100 (sharpness 0) and also with a Sony DCR-TRV120E DV camera.

HR-S6700 SVideo connector Dazzle DVC100:
    [Attachment 79641 - Click to enlarge]

HR-S6700 SVideo connector DCR-TRV120E:
    [Attachment 79642 - Click to enlarge]

HR-S8600 SVideo connector Dazzle DVC100:
    [Attachment 79643 - Click to enlarge]

HR-S8600 SVideo connector DCR-TRV120E:
    [Attachment 79644 - Click to enlarge]

HR-S6850 SCART SVideo DazzleDVC100:
    [Attachment 79645 - Click to enlarge]

HR-S6850 SCART SVideo DCR-TRV120E:
    [Attachment 79646 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. The only models that'll not have this problem (on the menu) are the D-vhs and if you use YPrPb (pretty sure if you use s-video on these it'll be the same mess)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by kenator18 View Post
    That's what the player is putting out. Internally the player use a composite character generator and they don't bother to filter the chroma carrier out of the s-video luma signal. And the capture device isn't expecting the chroma carrier on the luma signal so it doesn't bother to filter it out.

You don't see this problem when capturing via composite because the capture device is expecting to see the chroma carrier there -- and knows to filter it out.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's what the player is putting out. Internally the player use a composite character generator ...
    Interesting. Nevertheless one can get a similar checkerboard effect on the video with poor S-Video cables causing crosstalk between the Y and C wires.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thank you all for the insight. It seems like it could be both the VCR or the S-video cable. I wouldn't want to spend too much money on a cable if I'm not sure that is what's causing this issue. Based on The_Doman's post, it seems like it won't help anything...
    Last edited by kenator18; 5th Jun 2024 at 11:21.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    First of all you have to determine if the defect is present only in the menus, which is normal, or in the real video, and in this cse you can try to change cable as first
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    First of all you have to determine if the defect is present only in the menus, which is normal, or in the real video, and in this cse you can try to change cable as first
    Can you guys see something on those frames? (all from one same transfer)

I think I do see a pattern on it, but I need other eyes to confirm lol
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VHS3.avi_20240605_200830.224.png
Views:	24
Size:	613.9 KB
ID:	79658  

Name:	VHS3.avi_20240605_200824.648.png
Views:	11
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	79659  

Name:	VHS3.avi_20240605_200837.080.png
Views:	20
Size:	777.7 KB
ID:	79660  

Name:	VHS3.avi_20240605_200810.890.png
Views:	13
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	79661  

Name:	VHS3.avi_20240604_183528.241.png
Views:	11
Size:	540.1 KB
ID:	79662  

Name:	VHS3.avi_20240605_201422.640.png
Views:	16
Size:	613.8 KB
ID:	79663  

Quote Quote  
  16. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post a sample of the video, please
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I've posted on the first thread but I can put another one
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Second clip
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't see any dot crawl in the video for my aging eyes, I see interlacing artifacts because MPC-HC tends to screw with interlaced contents at default setting.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I do not see a clear checkerboard pattern as well:

Name:	Cattura.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	79665

As reference (https://www.avartifactatlas.com/artifacts/poor_yc_decoding.html):

Name:	YCSeparation_2_Flat.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	79666
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Oh, well, that could be my eyes playing tricks on me. It may not be dotcrawl but it might be interlacing artifacts from the player I am using (PotPlayer). Thanks to all of you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    it's like that for me aswell on the menu as long as it's not on the real images don't bother.
    Same here. The blue menu background on these JVCs simply looks like that.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM

Much appreciated

Kenny
    I have the lower model JVC and I basically observe the same thing. It's not the S-Video cable's fault, because I have 2 good quality ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Interesting. Nevertheless one can get a similar checkerboard effect on the video with poor S-Video cables causing crosstalk between the Y and C wires.
    If you accidentally connect/configure your cables wrong you possible also can get similar effects/interference.

This can be a potential source of problems with the European JVC models when you are using a SCART to S-Video connection.
    Some models (E.g. HR-S6850) annoyingly don't have a dedicated S-Video connector, so you have to use a SCART/S-Video adapter/cable.

The older models have a physical switch to set the SCART output to COMPosite or Y/C video and if you set it up incorrect it is of course easy to notice directly.

HR-S8600 SCART to SVideo Dazzle DVC100 and AV1 SCART switch set to COMPosite:
    [Attachment 79677 - Click to enlarge]

The newer models do not have a physical switch for the SCART output, so you have to configure the output correctly from the SETUP.
    Internally they are using a different connection method it seems.
    If you set it wrong the resulting effect is not directly so obvious to notice from the setup menu.

HR-S6850 SCART to SVideo DazzleDVC100 L1/SCART output set to S-Video:
    [Attachment 79645 - Click to enlarge]

HR-S6850 SCART to SVideo DazzleDVC100 L1/SCART output set to Video:
    [Attachment 79678 - Click to enlarge]

But if you playing video (regular VHS used here) it sure will be noticeable, specially with strong saturated colors.

[Attachment 79681 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 79682 - Click to enlarge]

With a better/less saturated signal, it is already less obvious there is something wrong, specially if you are using a small/low quality monitoring display.

[Attachment 79683 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 79684 - Click to enlarge]

I can imagine this potentially causing problems with people using SCART/adapter-cables and/or are less experienced with their video equipment.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 6th Jun 2024 at 10:34.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Very interesting stuff! Fortunartely, the model I have direct S-VIDEO OUT input in back of the VCR so there's no need for a adapter. I'm a newbie at that stuff, if you couldn't tell.
    Quote Quote