VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Warning: if you confuse an impersonal argument with trolling, or a discussion about a tool with a promotion of the tool, please leave the thread immediately.

--

Anyway, please allow me to reiterate some of my points from the Not able to Convert VHS to digital file thread:
    • People prefer using the equipment they already have.
    • People prefer using the software that is currently popular.
    • They look for tutorials online.
    • Young people prefer video tutorials to writeups.
    • Youtubers making tutorials want to reach as wide audience as possible.
    • The share of Windows is decreasing, the share of Mac is increasing, at least in the U.S.
    • Most free video-capture tools have been developed for Windows.
    • OBS is multiplatform (Win, Mac, Linux) and multirole (analog capture, screen capture).
    • Thus, usage of OBS is increasing.
    • Thus, the number of OBS tutorials is increasing.
    Suggesting a Mac user to use VirtualDub or AmarecTV is akin to suggesting a Tesla driver to use octane booster.

Alwyn's capture proves that it is possible to capture decent-looking footage with OBS. Sharc's comments here and here may be a deal-breaker for a perfectionist, but for someone who thinks that this looks great, Alwyn's results are perfect.

I do not have a stake in OBS, I don't like it and don't use it. I managed to use it once for its primary purpose - to capture my computer screen, and I was not able to set it up correctly ever since. I use Corel ScreenCap instead. I've never used OBS for analog video capture and I don't plan to - my Windows 7 machine works fine for me to run VDub and AmarecTV. All I am saying, this forum will see more questions related to OBS.

Those who participate in this forum to offer useful advice need to learn and then explain to others how to tweak OBS for a decent if imperfect capture. I applaud Alwyn for his efforts.

I am tempted to make my own OBS tutorial, but I neither know nor like the software well enough
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6a0120a5580826970c02b751999766200c-800wi.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	77177  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some people also have a diet of pure McDonald's. That doesn't make it good, or not bad. It makes it lazy, not quality (aka crap), and will not end well for that person longer term.

OBS is the wrong tool for video capture, period. It turns video in compressed mush, and silently allows dropped/inserted frames (and thus also audio sync issues). OBS was never created for, or intended, for analog videotapes. It treats all video like a webcam.

That Youtube tutorial is a perfect example of dreadful video.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    As funny as it is, I'm wondering what's the title of the next thread going to be? "The rise of Easycap"?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sharc's comments here and here may be a deal-breaker for a perfectionist
    Sharc's comments apply to everyone wishing to capture analog video.

Alwyn's results are perfect
    Alwin's captured example is showing the opposite, except if you love dropped and inserted frames.

I understand this is just 1 single test, but thanks to Alwin and Sharc for this!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My only comment about this thread.

Those that take the time out to assist do so as a shared experience. NOONE should take time and effort to learn ANY software that they have NO intention to use on a regular basis just to even attempt to help others.

Maybe OBS is the perfect name for the program - I'll leave you to work out another expansion of the letters.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Those that take the time out to assist do so as a shared experience. NOONE should take time and effort to learn ANY software that they have NO intention to use on a regular basis just to even attempt to help others.
    No one is forced to provide help, but those who want to continue doing so will need to learn new tricks, because recommending octane booster to a Tesla owner or to a bicycle rider will not help.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    As funny as it is, I'm wondering what's the title of the next thread going to be? "The rise of Easycap"?
    Sure, why not. Some of these easycaps are better than other despite the same appearance, and even the crappiest ones can deliver better result that what I've linked above, and I cannot help linking to it again, it is just so amazing. Mind you, it has been posted by someone who shot a documentary for Netflix.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol. the video you linked to looks like crap. oooh he shot a doc for netflix, hope it wasn't as shitty as the linked crap.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Here is someone who specializes "on bringing obsolete historical videotape formats back to life" and "in repairing your video decks. Over 30 years of experience." He has tons of equipment. He converts analog video into 960x720p60 for YT. Everything is peachy.

"Absolutely beautiful video transfer as usual"
    "this is way better than that exercise video"
    "Amazing transfer. The 80's never looked so much better than today"

Right.

He could as well use EasyCap. Or OBS. Or EasyCap + OBS. And he would be able to get better results.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Having tons of equipment has nothing to do with doing a proper capture. 60p with interlacing artifacts? That's OBS for you and also the side effect of resizing from 480 to just 720, very destructive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Youtube is often a perfect example of "better to let people think you're stupid, that to speak and remove all doubt".

His videos are a mess.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. That guy isn't using OBS if you check the videos where you see his computer ,and he has earlier videos without interlacing artifacts. Not claiming he's doing a pristine job but I think he's capturing in a somewhat reasonable format, but just doing a sloppy job with his youtube uploads.

As for the original post here, if you want a suggestion for people who find virtualdub or amarectv too complicated I would rather suggest just going all the way and getting one of these standalone recorder boxes than OBS. The cloneralliance box pro seems to be the better option of those. They're not great but at least they don't screw up the framerate I guess.

I wish there was some better application to recommend but for now it seems we're stuck with ancient and very janky windows-only virtualdub/amarectv, not at all designed for this purpose obs, very restricted variable and usually crappy vendor-provided capture apps or usable and cross platform but command line only ffmpeg
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    if you want a suggestion for people who find virtualdub or amarectv too complicated
    I think it is less about complexity and more about not being able to run these tools on Mac or Linux.

I would rather suggest just going all the way and getting one of these standalone recorder boxes than OBS. The cloneralliance box pro seems to be the better option of those. They're not great but at least they don't screw up the framerate I guess.
    For $160-$200 I expect a near-perfect result. If only the manufacturers of these boxes stopped thinking in terms of computer scan rates on the one hand, and rigid broadcast TV formats on the other hand. The Cloner box has a decent deinterlacer, if the manufacturer added a TBC-like image processing, 960x720 and 1440x1080 frame sizes and proper 59.94 rate instead of 60.00, it would be a very compelling turnkey product. Anyone from Cloner Alliance reading this forum?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Ok, I guess I can share the links to the popular tutorials, because why not.

The 7-year old EasyCAP + VirtualDub tutorial
    The 1-year old OBS tutorial

I followed his OBS tutorial. The last version that works on Windows 7 is v.27. He does not tell what capture device parameters to use. If you set 59.94, you get weird skipped frames pattern. When I set capture device frame rate to 29.97 and render frame rate to 59.94 and deinterlacing to Yadif 2X, I got full 59.94 fps. Not a lot of choices for encoders (I have only H.264) or deinterlacers. Also, I haven't figured out yet how to crop exactly 16 pixels on the sides yet to scale it to the 960x720 window. I guess I can use 982x720 output window if I want to keep the black borders.

Overall, it is a very decent tutorial.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're wasting your time, Bwaak. OBS is up to 30.0.2. The people who are going to use OBS will not be using dinosaur Win 7.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    You're wasting your time, Bwaak. OBS is up to 30.0.2. The people who are going to use OBS will not be using dinosaur Win 7.
    I am using Win7, I tried it for myself, it works. Of course, it is very limited: H.264 + Yadif, and no processing. I usually crop, shift chroma, sometimes correct color and levels, sometimes add motion smoothing. I cannot do all of this in OBS. On the other hand, it it an almost one-click solution after you create a preset. I would not use it in its current state for something I really care about, but if I ran a digitization business, I would consider it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Ok, I guess I can share the links to the popular tutorials, because why not.

The 7-year old EasyCAP + VirtualDub tutorial
    The 1-year old OBS tutorial

I followed his OBS tutorial. The last version that works on Windows 7 is v.27. He does not tell what capture device parameters to use. If you set 59.94, you get weird skipped frames pattern. When I set capture device frame rate to 29.97 and render frame rate to 59.94 and deinterlacing to Yadif 2X, I got full 59.94 fps. Not a lot of choices for encoders (I have only H.264) or deinterlacers. Also, I haven't figured out yet how to crop exactly 16 pixels on the sides yet to scale it to the 960x720 window. I guess I can use 982x720 output window if I want to keep the black borders.

Overall, it is a very decent tutorial.
    If the attached file is an example of "if anything CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong" you hit the nail on its head
    Looks like upscaling before deinterlacing/bobbing.
    OK, I understand the restrictions you mentioned .....
    Last edited by Sharc; 23rd Feb 2024 at 04:17.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    if you want a suggestion for people who find virtualdub or amarectv too complicated
    I think it is less about complexity and more about not being able to run these tools on Mac or Linux.
    ffmpeg is an option in that case at least on linux, though it is command line only. I believe it works with the macos video frameworks too so it should work with devices that work with obs but I've not used it myself.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    If the attached file is an example of "if anything CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong" you hit the nail on its head
    Looks like upscaling before deinterlacing/bobbing.
    OK, I understand the restrictions you mentioned .....
    I don't see egregious artifacts usually caused by scaling before deinterlacing. Diagonals are not very smooth, typical Yadif, but not awful-awful. It is 60 fps. The proportions are more or less correct. Compared to horrible combed and stretched and blown out mess I linked above, this looks quite decent.

Not archival quality, but good enough for most people, IMO, and going directly to H.264 saves time and disk space. I wish I could shift chroma to the left though.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I don't see egregious artifacts usually caused by scaling before deinterlacing.
    Agree. This would look different (worse).
    Diagonals are not very smooth, typical Yadif
    Typical Yadif? It looks more like the fields got separated and then just upscaled. Whatever ....
    Not archival quality, but good enough for most people,.....
    Candidates to come here and ask for help how to fix it
    Last edited by Sharc; 24th Feb 2024 at 00:49.
    Quote Quote