VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I need to transfer some Video 8 tapes to my Windows PC.
    I know that some Sony Digital 8 Cameras can also play Video 8 analog (Low band tape)
    The advantage should be that analog Video 8 and HI8 can be transferred as a digital signal to PC via Fireware.
    But is there any gain at all on the image side by digital transfer of the video signal?
    Video 8 and Hi8 are not digital formats in advance
    The Digital 8 camera will start by first processing the video signal analog and then Digitizing the signal in the camera with output in Fireware.
    As a result, the video signal is not digital throughout. But would there still be something to gain, or some advantages on the image side and when to record by investing in a used Digital 8 camera?
    It has been suggested that the video signal should go from the analog Video 8 signal to the digital end via Fireware, or an analog-Digital SDI converter and to the PC.
    to then be recorded in realtime uncompressed RGB 4:4:4 or YUV 4:2:2 8 bit.
    In principle, can I not buy an analog-Digital SDI Converter, since I already have a Sony Hi8 camera, it is cheaper than finding a used Digital 8 camera.
    It may sound a bit exaggerated, but I want to have the best of the best out of my video 8 bands as an archive format, even if it is "only" low band.

Regards mondeo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Have you tried searching the forum? There are zillions thread on this very topic, just search for, say, "digital8 hi8 svideo analog firewire". For example, Digital 8 Camcorder to Video 8 or SDI converter to transfer to PC. Ultimately, it comes you your personal choice.

The best of the best would be outputting analog via SVideo then into a 10-bit or 12-bit professional board like Kona LHe, then into uncompressed 10-bit or 12-bit codec with 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 color. Most of the above would provide diminishing returns, but heck, if you want best of the best... Don't forget to insert a decent TBC somewhere in the chain.

All these efforts will be lost if, during post-processing, you screw up levels or aspect ratio or deinterlacing or color space or something else
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I tried searching for it, but it was difficult to find exactly what I was looking for, but I may have overlooked something during the search.
    I have tried experimenting with simply running the signal from my HI8 Camera and through a TBC, external SuperVHS machine with TBC.
    I don't have a Professional TBC unit, that attempt didn't make a big difference, other than the picture moved a bit and the colors became a bit artificial. Also mostly believe that TBC is best suited for older VHS machines before HQ circuits, where the picture was often unstable. on my Video 8 recordings, colors and vertical and horizontal lines are very stable, perhaps the HI8 camera itself has TBC. so doubt that a Digital 8 with TBC can do anything right there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak
    Have you tried searching the forum? There are zillions thread on this very topic, just search for, say, "digital8 hi8 svideo analog firewire". For example, Digital 8 Camcorder to Video 8 or SDI converter to transfer to PC.
    That link does not go to "Digital 8 Camcorder to Video 8 or SDI converter to transfer to PC".

Originally Posted by Mondeo
    Yes, I tried searching for it, but it was difficult to find exactly what I was looking for, but I may have overlooked something during the search.
    You're forgiven. Searching any forum rarely results in a quick result that is appropriate, especially when you don't know what you're exactly looking for, which is why you're here!

There is an SDI expert here; hopefully he will pop along shortly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Unlike few here, I don't claim to be an expert in anything, and I don't recommend the workflow he is looking for since it lacks any timing, the ones that are built in line/frame timing/synchronization are probably beyond his budget nowadays based on his post. What I would recommend is a less problematic consumer approach, Make sure the camcorder (digital or not) has a line TBC and S-Video out, get one of the recommended USB capture devices and capture away, If you got problems come back here for more help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Pay this man a beer.

Unlike few here, he doesn't claim to be an expert, but his workflow is probably one of the best out there (just look to his captures and his threads with samples here). But he never try to convince anyone to use the same approach, when other easier solutions are possible, and has always a proper suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Pay this man a beer.

Unlike few here, he doesn't claim to be an expert, but his workflow is probably one of the best out there (just look to his captures and his threads with samples here). But he never try to convince anyone to use the same approach, when other easier solutions are possible, and has always a proper suggestion.
    Are you talking about dellsam34? I agree, his captures look pretty good, especially considering they are VHS @ 480, not SVHS @ 576

I am not a big fan of New Kids On the Block, but the Step By Step tour film looks very good. Too bad, some of his equipment is rather upscale and expensive, and some of those, who tried to follow his approach, crashed and burned and never came back.
    Last edited by Bwaak; 31st Jan 2024 at 20:05.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For tapes in pristine shape the “classic” recommended approach (mentioned above) produces the same quality. When tapes are not that good, BE75 or similar can make a difference.

There are also S-VHS captures on his channel, and BTW, if sources are properly captured / upscaled / “prepared” for YouTube, the additional PAL lines do not make such a big difference
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    the additional PAL lines do not make such a big difference
    Let'a agree to disagree
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I believe the big advantage of PAL is its robust chroma, Sure 96 extra lines are significant if we are talking about still frames, but in the interlaced world of motion picture, 5 frames more a second can make a NTSC footage look very close to PAL in terms of temporal sharpness in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Unlike few here, I don't claim to be an expert in anything, and I don't recommend the workflow he is looking for since it lacks any timing, the ones that are built in line/frame timing/synchronization are probably beyond his budget nowadays based on his post. What I would recommend is a less problematic consumer approach, Make sure the camcorder (digital or not) has a line TBC and S-Video out, get one of the recommended USB capture devices and capture away, If you got problems come back here for more help.
    But when we are talking about Video 8 or VHS, which is only a component signal, some improvement will come from running the signal out of an S-VHS connector to the PC. Video 8 is not already recorded as a split Y-C signal
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mondeo93 View Post
    But when we are talking about Video 8 or VHS, which is only a component signal, some improvement will come from running the signal out of an S-VHS connector to the PC. Video 8 is not already recorded as a split Y-C signal
    Is this a statement or a question, and what exactly are you saying?

Anyway, "color under" systems do record color separately from luma, so capturing even standard Video8 or VHS tapes through a Y/C connector like S-Video is beneficial. See this doc for Umatic, the principle is the same. Also, see this demo.
    Last edited by Bwaak; 7th Feb 2024 at 17:16.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    VHS, V8 and other consumer formats are recorded the same way in terms of video RF, The difference is V8 does not use sync pulse and linear audio tracks, This is a design difference on how the heads lock on the video tracks, But both produce similar Y-C signals that get converted to composite with slight loss if there is no capability to carry the signals separated via a connector known as Separate-Video or S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Is this a statement or a question, and what exactly are you saying?

Anyway, "color under" systems do record color separately from luma, so capturing even standard Video8 or VHS tapes through a Y/C connector like S-Video is beneficial. See this doc for Umatic, the principle is the same. Also, see this demo.
    You don't understand what I write because I didn't put a question mark? Well then, what was written was designed as a question
    Quote Quote