VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have already done this a few times, taking say a 70 Gig UHD file and using Handbrake to convert it to a regular Blu-ray so that I can play it on my older OPPO player. And yes, I KNOW there are further steps to prepare it to burn to Blu-ray.

As I have seen it suggested, I use the BT709 I believe it is called for tone mapping and converting from HDR-SDR. So far, they seem to be coming out okay. I was just curious about since I am going from an assumed better quality source and converting it to Blu-ray, am I losing out very much on the quality say as compared to a regular Blu-ray? Many times I do want the new 4k Remaster, but I need to be able to play it on my OPPO player, thus my doing this.

I normally use a CRF value since I want to retain as much quality as reasonable, but would like to be able to get closer to a full 22 Gig Blu-ray size. I don't really want to use a constant bitrate, which I know you can use to approximate the resulting output file size, but there might be very demanding scenes in the film where it may need more bitrate. So, I am more inclined to use a CRF of around 19-20. I've tried a slightly better quality setting, but the size is really hard to guess. Even if I do a smaller sample size, say about 10% of the encode and try to extrapolate what the full encode will be, it is not consistent. Like I can check the encode at 10% and the size could be 1.5 Gigs, so I'm thinking, okay then the full encode should be around 15 Gigs. BUT... if I checked the same one at say 50%, suddenly the size is like 12 Gigs which will end up being too big So, I try to 'Guess' at around 19-20 CRF and the resulting encode has usually been around 13-15 Gigs or so, so I suppose that is all right.

I also add some x264 'Tweaks' in the CMD line of Handbrake HOPEFULLY to ensure the encode is of better quality. So, I'll set it for: Medium, Level=4.1, ref=4, Psychovisual=1.25, Trellis=2, and a couple of other 'Slow' tweaks that won't affect it's playability. But, I don't know if all that is really necessary or really helpful since I am encoding from supposedly such a superiour quality source.

Also, I see some comments that the color mapping using BT709 (if that is the right one) leaves some people saying that it isn't that great. Is there anything else I can do to improve the quality of the encode as far as the color or any of these settings I'm using? Also too, my telly is very old and is not 4k compatible along of course with my OPPO. I will indeed someday have to go all 4k with both player and telly, but in the meantime I would like to do the best I can with this conversion from UHD HDR-SDR to Blu-ray.

I really appreciate any input or suggestions so that I can get the best reasonable quality I can. The encodes with my new CPU go pretty fast now comparatively to leaving it overnight like I used to to. Most encodes usually only take anywhere from 30-90 minutes depending on the strength of the settings.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to predict the size, use 2-pass VBR. Here's an example using FFmpeg
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180224063755/http://www.x264bluray.com/home/1080i-p
    Quote Quote  
  3. For a correct HDR to SDR tonemapping setting BT709 only isn't enough.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. I didn't get a chance to try it myself, but there is an example of a filter here with a
    possible correction dated Aug 1 in the thread
    https://superuser.com/questions/1465562/why-does-ffmpegs-tonemap-tone-mapping-filter-g...colors-dependi
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Clever FFmpeg Gui do the tone mapping?
    Have you thought about implementing 2-pass into your program?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Does Clever FFmpeg Gui do the tone mapping?
    Have you thought about implementing 2-pass into your program?
    Yes for the tonemapping (with LUTs too), no for 2 pass encoding, i prefer CFR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180224063755/http://www.x264bluray.com/home/1080i-p
    Heh, yessir I do know that, which I clearly stated in my original post and why I don't use it, but thanks for the reply though! I also see your post below and with check that out, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    For a correct HDR to SDR tonemapping setting BT709 only isn't enough.
    Yeah... that is what I figured and WHY I was asking if there is anything else that I might do to make that better, thus my post here, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I guess then since I WILL be using a 1-Pass CRF setting, the BT709 will have to do if there are no other helpful suggestions then... No added AVS to help with the colour, just a thought...?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    I have already done this a few times, taking say a 70 Gig UHD file and using Handbrake to convert it to a regular Blu-ray so that I can play it on my older OPPO player. And yes, I KNOW there are further steps to prepare it to burn to Blu-ray.

As I have seen it suggested, I use the BT709 I believe it is called for tone mapping and converting from HDR-SDR. So far, they seem to be coming out okay. I was just curious about since I am going from an assumed better quality source and converting it to Blu-ray, am I losing out very much on the quality say as compared to a regular Blu-ray? Many times I do want the new 4k Remaster, but I need to be able to play it on my OPPO player, thus my doing this.

I normally use a CRF value since I want to retain as much quality as reasonable, but would like to be able to get closer to a full 22 Gig Blu-ray size. I don't really want to use a constant bitrate, which I know you can use to approximate the resulting output file size, but there might be very demanding scenes in the film where it may need more bitrate. So, I am more inclined to use a CRF of around 19-20. I've tried a slightly better quality setting, but the size is really hard to guess. Even if I do a smaller sample size, say about 10% of the encode and try to extrapolate what the full encode will be, it is not consistent. Like I can check the encode at 10% and the size could be 1.5 Gigs, so I'm thinking, okay then the full encode should be around 15 Gigs. BUT... if I checked the same one at say 50%, suddenly the size is like 12 Gigs which will end up being too big So, I try to 'Guess' at around 19-20 CRF and the resulting encode has usually been around 13-15 Gigs or so, so I suppose that is all right.

I also add some x264 'Tweaks' in the CMD line of Handbrake HOPEFULLY to ensure the encode is of better quality. So, I'll set it for: Medium, Level=4.1, ref=4, Psychovisual=1.25, Trellis=2, and a couple of other 'Slow' tweaks that won't affect it's playability. But, I don't know if all that is really necessary or really helpful since I am encoding from supposedly such a superiour quality source.

Also, I see some comments that the color mapping using BT709 (if that is the right one) leaves some people saying that it isn't that great. Is there anything else I can do to improve the quality of the encode as far as the color or any of these settings I'm using? Also too, my telly is very old and is not 4k compatible along of course with my OPPO. I will indeed someday have to go all 4k with both player and telly, but in the meantime I would like to do the best I can with this conversion from UHD HDR-SDR to Blu-ray.

I really appreciate any input or suggestions so that I can get the best reasonable quality I can. The encodes with my new CPU go pretty fast now comparatively to leaving it overnight like I used to to. Most encodes usually only take anywhere from 30-90 minutes depending on the strength of the settings.

Thanks!
    try Q20. H265 10-bit. Colourspace Filter BT.709. MKV https://www.reddit.com/r/handbrake/comments/tsk6bf/handbrake_is_incredible_hdr_to_sdr_tone_mapping/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heh, yessir I do know that, which I clearly stated in my original post and why I don't use it, but thanks for the reply though! I also see your post below and with check that out, thanks!
    I didn't see anything in your original post about 2-pass (VBR) encode
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

Thanks!
    try Q20. H265 10-bit. Colourspace Filter BT.709. MKV https://www.reddit.com/r/handbrake/comments/tsk6bf/handbrake_is_incredible_hdr_to_sdr_tone_mapping/
    Hey, thanks for that! Yes, I have read that thread, it was very helpful. Although the h265 encoding will not play on my OPPO player. I guess some say there that the colours are still a bit muted, but maybe on my antiquated system I might not notice it so much
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't see anything in your original post about 2-pass (VBR) encode
    That's okay mate It's just that I mentioned that using the 2-pass method I cannot control the quality of the more demanding scenes. Thus my preferring the CRF encoding where I am assured a constant quality rate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, how about this... Handbrake allows for a 'Custom' setting with the color space. Is there some specific color setting other than BT709 that might yield better results. I would THINK that surely SOMEONE has played around with this...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks!
    Hey, thanks for that! Yes, I have read that thread, it was very helpful. Although the h265 encoding will not play on my OPPO player. I guess some say there that the colours are still a bit muted, but maybe on my antiquated system I might not notice it so much
    are you playing your movie from a burnt disc or USB stick ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thanks!
    are you playing your movie from a burnt disc or USB stick ??
    BD-R

BTW, I'm in the process of converting the 4k version of 'PEEPING TOM', and sampling what the re-encode looks like, it looks pretty good to me and the colors seem quite vibrant. I hope that is a good sign...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Last edited by ProWo; 30th Jan 2024 at 02:41. Reason: attachment changed
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll check it out!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that's when I first tried to do this. Basically, IIRC, in that thread is where I just learned to use the BT709 color filter. In this thread I am asking further things concerning any color tweaks that can be used either by customizing the color filter (Handbrake DOES allow a custom filter, which I find intriguing - Again, isn't there a specific setting here that might tweak the colours even better?) And also, I am asking about compression and file size and the comparisons of the resulting quality.

So yeah... I started this thread for these additional things
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, I see here it uses some other form of colour mapping with some parameter choices within that, interesting!

***EDIT

Also, I see where there is a setting for AVS too!
    Quote Quote