VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Edit- update in 2nd post

Trying to set up GraphStudio/Avisynth/MPHC to run the code below, so I can use Avisynths histogram to setup my TBC proc-amp for capture.

Code:
    DirectShowSource("cap.grf", audio=false, framecount=100000) 
    TurnRight().Histogram().TurnLeft() # horizontal waveform monitor at the top of the frame
    ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec709") # the device is putting out rec.709
    I am using a Pinnacle 710-USB capture device.

In GraphStudio there are three Pinnacle 710-USB filters that show up, I have tried all three.

Pinnacle 710-USB
    [Attachment 73681 - Click to enlarge]

Pinnacle 710-USB CrossBar
    [Attachment 73682 - Click to enlarge]

Selecting only one of the filters, I save the graph file as cap.grf.

When I go to open the avs file in AvsPmod it gives me the error:

DirectShowSource: GRF file does not have a compatible open video pin. Graph must have 1 output pin that will bid RGB24, RGB32, ARGB, YUY2, YV12, YV16, YV24, Y41P, Y411 or AYUV

[Attachment 73683 - Click to enlarge]

When I try open in MPHC, I get two errors and then the same error as AvsPmod.

[Attachment 73684 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 73685 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 73686 - Click to enlarge]

Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Other points that might be useful:
    • Drivers are install for Pinnacle 710 - no errors in Device Manager
    • Capture in VirtualDub works - I get video
    Last edited by VideoYak; 7th Sep 2023 at 15:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. UPDATE

I played around and got Graph Studio working

[Attachment 73696 - Click to enlarge]

But I still get the error below when I try to open my Avisynth code in MPHC, VirtualDub or AvsPmod
    DirectShowSource: GRF file does not have a compatible open video pin. Graph must have 1 output pin that will bid RGB24, RGB32, ARGB, YUY2, YV12, YV16, YV24, Y41P, Y411 or AYUV
    If I drop off the Video Renderer at the end, MPHC, VirtualDub just freeze when I open the avs file.
    What am I missing?
    Last edited by VideoYak; 7th Sep 2023 at 15:56.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If it's just for adjusting the proc-amp it is probably easier to right-click the orange Pinnacle 710-USB USB box, select Properties.... and go to the video proc amp settings tab.
    Or as long as the waveform/histogram is 'reasonably well' within the limits and is not clipped, leave the capture proc-amp setting their defaults and do the final adjustments in post processing.
    See for example the recommendations in your other thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411011-Help-with-improving-this-video-post-QTGMC-d...ce#post2703767

Added:
    Below works here for the GV-USB2. Try similar for your Pinnacle:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GV-USB2.png
Views:	24
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	73700  

Last edited by Sharc; 8th Sep 2023 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Sharc, I'll give that a shot using your GV-USB2 setup. I ended up giving up and just using the VirtualDub histogram for this tape.

I can't find the Huffyuv filter in Graphstudio, so will have to play around and figure that out.

I'm actually using the proc amp on the TBC, so it makes it a bit easier.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VideoYak, I've had a go at using the AVISynth histogram in MPC too. I found that success seems to be dependent on the digitiser. My GV-USB2 and USBLive2 would not do it, with error messages in MPC, but my Startech USB3HDCAP worked like a charm and MPC was great for setting the levels. Unfortunately, I can no longer get my 710-USB to function at all under Win 11 so can't check it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Alwyn:
    This filter graph works perfectly here for the USB-live2. I think you prefer lagarith as the compressor, so I inserted it instead of Huffyuv (which works as well btw.)
    Maybe you have to install the LAV filters.

Added:
    This is the script which plays fine with MPC-HC, Vdub .....
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("USB-Live2.grf",audio=false,framecount=10000) 
    TurnRight().Histogram().TurnLeft() # horizontal waveform monitor at the top of the frame
    ConvertToRGB32(matrix="rec601")
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	USB-live2.png
Views:	30
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	73710  

Last edited by Sharc; 9th Sep 2023 at 06:16.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoYak
    I can't find the Huffyuv filter in Graphstudio, so will have to play around and figure that out.
    Me too.

Originally Posted by Sharc
    Thanks Sharc, I'm obviously missing something basic because when I use the Graph>Insert Filter...(ALL) Direct Show filters... menu neither LAGS, HUFF or my other AVI codec, MagicYUV, are there. I've installed LAV filters. Those three codecs are on my system and available in all my other programs.

That script is basically the one I use to display the Startech histogram.

What is your exact process for inserting that codec box?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by VideoYak
    Me too.

Originally Posted by Sharc
    Thanks Sharc, I'm obviously missing something basic because when I use the Graph>Insert Filter...(ALL) Direct Show filters... menu neither LAGS, HUFF or my other AVI codec, MagicYUV, are there. I've installed LAV filters. Those three codecs are on my system and available in all my other programs.

That script is basically the one I use to display the Startech histogram.

What is your exact process for inserting that codec box?
    Use the 32bit version of graphstudionext. It will show more filters than the 64bit version.
    Quote Quote