VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi - We convert VCR tapes, Hi-8 tapes, VHS-C tapes, 8mm film,... but have run into a problem with a new request.

We normally use Pinnacle 21 with a Dazzle connection to the computer. Not the best way, but it works 90% of the time. We recently had a person bring us 100 betamax tapes, so we purchased a nice Betamax player - Sony Super BETAMAX SL-HF550. I bought it from a man who restores Beta players. It came looks great & plays, but when I try to use the Dazzle connection we use with all of the other video players, nothing is seen when it plays. Normally, I will have the Pinnacle program open and when a camera/VCR is connected, the screen will change and you can play the tape. Nothing changes when the Beta is connected with the Dazzle.

Am I missing something? What do I need to have my computer see the Betamax player and able to record the tapes? These are the connections in the back.

Thanks,
    Sean
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	67270  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you connected the player to the TV using that same cable/connection
    to see if it plays?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An answer to the most basic of questions would certainly assist.

But if you confirm that a tv indeed sees and hears from that connection >> Your comment about the unit 'looks great and plays'' is somewhat vague, then the issue is elsewhere.

There have been various topics on here in the recent past and Dazzles and Win10. When did you last, successfully, use this device to capture ? Then the issue could be Win10 itself with updates 'killing' the device. Here is one such topic which I did contribute to.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/398965-Dazzle-DVC100-not-capturing-anymore-on-Windows-10
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SeanMcD View Post
    Hi - We convert VCR tapes, Hi-8 tapes, VHS-C tapes, 8mm film,... but have run into a problem with a new request.

We normally use Pinnacle 21 with a Dazzle connection to the computer. Not the best way, but it works 90% of the time. We recently had a person bring us 100 betamax tapes, so we purchased a nice Betamax player - Sony Super BETAMAX SL-HF550. I bought it from a man who restores Beta players. It came looks great & plays, but when I try to use the Dazzle connection we use with all of the other video players, nothing is seen when it plays. Normally, I will have the Pinnacle program open and when a camera/VCR is connected, the screen will change and you can play the tape. Nothing changes when the Beta is connected with the Dazzle.

Am I missing something? What do I need to have my computer see the Betamax player and able to record the tapes? These are the connections in the back.

Thanks,
    Sean
    on the betamax player, do you have it set on the right channel ?? usually L1 for the rear connections.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only reference to 'channel' I can find in the manual is when (I assume) the vcr and tv are connected via the coax/vhf/uhf.

There is, indeed no specific direction when you connect this vcr to another for editing purposes (and via the rca interface) and one would expect no difference to this from a capture device.

But just one thought. If input source was connected to 'Line' rather than coax it may over-ride the Line-Output. Whether you can change that at vcr level or require the remote I simply do not know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Betamax doesn't use S-video?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Is there a way to connect it using the VHF/UHF OUT socket?

Nothing seems to work to get it to the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    No, there is no S-Video socket in the Betamax. Is there a way to connect it using the VHF/UHF OUT socket?

Nothing seems to work to get it to the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You scare me with your lack of knowledge and poor equipment for someone who does paid transfers.

RF Out from the Sony to RF In on another vcr, then Video Out to your capture device.

Also, why didn't you continue your thread at digitalfaq.com. Did you or didn't you try to connect via RF out to your TV at home as you stated? https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/13001-connecting-sony-sl.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a well known saying. RTFM. (Do not know what that stands for ?) But if you did not get one then it is available online.

But it a long time since I owned a betamax vcr. It was quite an early model >> Sony C5 << Only RF connections and over here one had to tune the tv in to the RF frequency (The mannual deos explain the process but, again, apparently, just for RF). But ANY subsequent vcr with a RCA connection did not require tuning. You just needed to chose the right 'Line'. Yet for the life of me - and I have read the manual - there is no apparent setting although on my current one it goes through the options by clicking the 'input select' on the remote and only one sends an external signal albeit via euro-scart.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had this and numerous others. Nothing special about it. There's only one video out on the back. If there's a jack on the front, it's video in only for temporary connections like a camera.

RF in the U.S. is channel 3 or 4.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, using RF is only for testing that your machine is able to output a signal. DO NOT USE IT FOR THE ACTUAL CAPTURE! RF is the lowest quality video signal, made worse by being processed twice, once from the output, once from the input.

IMO, give your customer the tapes back and advise them to find someone with the proper knowledge and equipment. You're only capable of giving them 100 copies of mediocre work at best.

FYI, there are Beta machines with S-Video out.

I'll leave it here because I don't want anything more to do with a disaster in the making!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @DB83

At digitalfaq, the OP says he has the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    As a business transaction you have to disclose to your customers that you are using basic home equipment, If you are doing this for the money you should have a pro deck or at least a high end consumer deck with S-Video out, Make sure it's properly serviced by a qualified repair person (not many of them are around but there are few), yes it's a lot of money but it's an investment that should paid off in one or two big jobs like this one.

Having said that, a beta VCR should display a video from its composite out, no setup required, Make sure the tapes are indeed consumer beta (not Betacam or other formats) and the tapes do contain active contents.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe a picture of the front of one of these 'Betamax' tapes would clear the suspicion from a fair comment by dellsam34
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Here is one of the tapes - Image
    [Attachment 67295 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bingo !!

Read what is written top right.

So unless these tapes were recorded in a Betamax vcr, they will NEVER play in one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betacam
    Quote Quote  
  18. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Just send the poor guy to me, I'll give him a good price, I have a very nice Sony pro deck with SDI out. Unless you want to invest in a Betacam player deck, they are usually around $1,500, The big boys go for $3,000 but those are recorders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even then, are all the tapes Betacam SP since if I read correctly acquiring the origanal Betacam player they still would not play.

But, I concur. Acquiring a deck just for one project with no guarantee of future business is not really cost-effective. And most of the decks I see for sale on Fleabay are 'Parts only'. And one other thing. Even getting lucky in getting a working 'bargain' would consumer-grade capture equipment work ?

A sad case of not researching your job before taking it on.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There are Betacam Players that playback all the Betacam SD formats analog and digital, small and large like the Sony J3-SDI or J30-SDI, But they are no longer cheap. I don't know what happens in the last few years, when I acquired my gear everything was under $300.

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    I like the look of that if it can playback all Betacam recordings, but can it playback Betamax tapes, as well.

Has a player with that capability to play all Beta tapes been made, or can it be made? I just want to know if we go further into this, are we going to be buying multiple players because of the tape differences? I know there are VCR players with DVD recorders. I consider those "cheap", but it's an option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are likely going to be buying multiple players anyway, even for tapes of the same type, because in this era, it is important to have backup options when a machine craps out on you due to its age.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    I actually found that out, thanks. No wonder Beta never stayed as long as VCRs. Sony trying to monopolize their idea and making changes where you had to start over to "update".
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search PM
    [There was some useless noise here]
    Last edited by Bwaak; 12th Jun 2023 at 17:29.
    Quote Quote