VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was wondering if anyone could take a look at this for me (Attached two posts down)

This is a segment of an old twitch stream, back then if you downloaded from twitch it would grab in 30 minute flash video chunks, I just noticed this one, although it finished downloading and the audio plays, the video doesn't, and the file lists the frame height and width as 0.

The size of the file looks about right compared to the other chunks, so I'm wondering if the video is just borked and I'm out of luck, or if the video data is there, but the .flv didn't write properly and it needs editing/converting to make it work.
    Last edited by Xirix; 27th Aug 2022 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you upload that to Archive.org since it has no plays etc.Mind you that could be due to the removal of flash video support by Adobe some weeks ago.Better to find some other way to share it (as long as it is not illegal) such as direct attachment in this topic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, I had uploaded it there for convenience, but I see that the allowed size for attachments on here is actually enough, oops. I'll up it here now.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Xirix; 27th Aug 2022 at 13:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hardly convenient when it has already been taken down for whatever reason. (and the forum does support attachments up to 500 mb)

But I did download it and there is no video. Just audio. (AVC in a .flv container ? I think not)

Better to compare that with one from the same source that does play.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I know, that's why I replied with it as an attachment and removed it from archive.org

The other ones that 'do' play say they have AVC video according to mediainfo, they are also .flvs, with this weird broken one mediainfo also is able to find the video's FPS info, just no resolution at all.

I don't suppose there's a way to trick it into playing, like can you rewrite the info in the file to say 1280x720 resolution and see if it does anything? Since there's clearly a big block of video in there from the filesize, and I find it weird that the file finished with the audio being able to be played, you'd think if it didn't grab the chunk correctly it just wouldn't play at all.
    Last edited by Xirix; 27th Aug 2022 at 13:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. AVC in a .flv container ? I think not)
    Sure, not that uncommon. Attached a sample. A bunch of streaming server used flv as container for avc.
    see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video

Since I don't see much of AVC or aac headers in the file my guess is that the stream is either totally broken or encrypted.
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no reason it would be encrypted that I can think of so I guess maybe I'm out of luck, ah, a shame. :/ And indeed I did notice that although mediainfo did give some minor info for the video part of the file, the other parts of the stream gave considerably more information for their video segments.

I guess when it downloaded something went wrong, but instead of just giving me a completely guff unreadable file it half-finished, which unfortunately led me to not noticing something was wrong.

Thanks for looking at it, I'll cross my fingers if anyone else has any other ideas but I know this is a shot in the dark.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you have little to lose right now so here is a suggestion. Load a working part of the stream in to a hex editor and this borked version in to another hex editor (or a separate window of the same)

See if you can determine the changes req'd and edit the header accordingly (of course you will have to scroll down to see of there is data and not just a ton of zeros)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly I wouldn't know where to start with a hex editor, I'm not very good when it comes to code stuff. I had a little look, it looks like there's data there, there's the occasional big block of FF but the working files with video seem to have those too.
    Quote Quote  
  10. VLC, MPCBE, Potplayer, and SMPlayer are able to play the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Strange, MPC-HC doesn't really play audio here.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VLC, MPCBE, Potplayer, and SMPlayer are able to play the audio.
    Yeah, but I'm trying to get the video playing, not the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You could try mp4repair.
    1) Rename the corrupt file from flv to mp4.
    2) Rename a working segment to mp4 too.
    3) Download this one: https://www.videohelp.com/download/mp4repair-1.zip
    4) Extract to any location and start mp4repair.exe, select 2) as reference file, select 1) as corrupt file, click execute.
    Last edited by ProWo; 28th Aug 2022 at 02:29.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Oops, wrong thread...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You could try mp4repair.
    1) Rename the corrupt file from flv to mp4.
    2) Rename a working segment to mp4 too.
    3) Download this one: https://www.videohelp.com/download/mp4repair-1.zip
    4) Extract to any location and start mp4repair.exe, select 2) as reference file, select 1) as corrupt file, click execute.
    No dice on that unfortunately, I'm not sure the program even did anything, it said "done", but the corrupt file had no change in date modified, nor did it make a new file.
    Quote Quote  
  16. No messages in the program window?
    Repeat the procedure with verbose logging.
    Last edited by ProWo; 28th Aug 2022 at 11:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whist ,flv and .mp4 are container formats I guess that the format structure is different enough for that repair program to bork.

So, returning to my earlier suggestion, if you are not confident enough to attempt a direct edit of the header in a hex editor I can only suggest you upload a working sample - from the same source - as an attachment and someone may be kind enough to attempt an edit. And as previously stated right now you have little to nothing to lose from this.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even with verbose logging nothing's showing up no, I guess it doesn't like the file.

And sure, good idea, I've attached a working chunk of the stream, I'll cross my fingers if anyone can figure out anything, thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Xirix View Post
    I've attached a working chunk of the stream
    In a hex editor you can see that there is missing metadata at the start of the non-working file. I somewhat blindly pasted the first ~680000 bytes of the working file over the same part of the non-working file. The result was a file the played (VLC) a few seconds of the working video then skipped ahead about 2 minutes into the non-working video and played to the end(?).

[Attachment 66483 - Click to enlarge]

Pasting a smaller amount would probably get you more of the start of the non-working video.

Pasting about 0x5000 bytes (~20000 bytes) gave a file that plays pretty much from the start. Attached is the first 36 seconds of the "fixed" video remuxed into an mp4.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Aug 2022 at 19:52.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xirix View Post
    I've attached a working chunk of the stream
    In a hex editor you can see that there is missing metadata at the start of the non-working file. I somewhat blindly pasted the first ~680000 bytes of the working file over the same part of the non-working file. The result was a file the played (VLC) a few seconds of the working video then skipped ahead about 2 minutes into the non-working video and played to the end(?).

[Attachment 66483 - Click to enlarge]

Pasting a smaller amount would probably get you more of the start of the non-working video.

Pasting about 0x5000 bytes (~20000 bytes) gave a file that plays pretty much from the start. Attached is the first 36 seconds of the "fixed" video remuxed into an mp4.
    Oh wow, this looks good, thank you very much, you managed to get the entire thing behaving? If you upload the full thing I'll watch it through to confirm.
    Quote Quote  
  21. All but the first few second. Pasting the first 0x4900 bytes of the working video onto the non working video:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All but the first few second. Pasting the first 0x4900 bytes of the working video onto the non working video:
    That's just perfect, thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Harry (jagabo) Potter strikes again !
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    just out of curiosity: which hex editor did you use?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    HxD Hex Editor
    https://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    HxD Hex Editor
    https://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php
    Thx
    Quote Quote  
  27. By the way, I also tried pre-pending (rather than replacing) 0x4900 bytes from the good file to the bad file. That gave a video that played all the way from start to end.
    Quote Quote