VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Canada
    Search PM
    I thought I'd share some snapshots of NTSC captures with and without the DMR-ES15 in the pipeline. These snapshots are from 1 NTSC VHS tape that was sourced directly from a CBC TV station (not over the air).

    I captured them by stopping on the frame in VirtualDub 1.9.11 and doing Video > "Copy source frame to clipboard". Then pasted into MS paint and saved as a jpg.

    My setup is pretty basic and on a budget. The two pipelines for these snapshots are:
    1. JVC SVHS HR-S2913U > Pinnacle 710 USB > Windows 10 > Virtual Dub 1.9.11
    2. JVC SVHS HR-S2913U > DMR-ES15 > Pinnacle 710 USB > Windows 10 > Virtual Dub 1.9.11

    The ES15 is set with colour lighter/darker.

    I'm a newbie, but by comparing them, I believe it shows how the DMR-ES15 corrects tearing, described by LordSmurf as "one of the harshest line timing issues that exists" (source).

    The ES15 also affects the colour as it reduces the red/magenta in the shot. I am curious if this is a pro or a con.
    Pro: Is it "removing or reducing chroma noise (the red/blue colored mist found in all VHS tape formats)" as described in the TBC FAQ on Line TBCs? Or if
    Con: Is a bad side effect as described here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11643-camcorder-line-tbc.html#ixzz7BLqLo4Hb

    Snapshots show first without ES15 and then with ES15 (as per filename). I've also attached them as a zip file.

    Snapshot 1:
    Image
    [Attachment 61642 - Click to enlarge]

    Image
    [Attachment 61643 - Click to enlarge]


    Snapshot 2:
    Image
    [Attachment 61644 - Click to enlarge]

    Image
    [Attachment 61645 - Click to enlarge]


    Snapshot 3:
    Image
    [Attachment 61646 - Click to enlarge]

    Image
    [Attachment 61647 - Click to enlarge]


    Snapshot 4:
    Image
    [Attachment 61648 - Click to enlarge]

    Image
    [Attachment 61649 - Click to enlarge]


    Snapshot 5:
    Image
    [Attachment 61650 - Click to enlarge]

    Image
    [Attachment 61651 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. The ES15 clearly removed the flagging (aka wobbling, tearing) and the rainbows (what you referred to as color issue) thanks to reducing luma/chroma crosstalk by its internal 3D comb filter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you think the colors without the ES15 are more accurate you can easily adjust ES15 caps by increasing the saturation by about 15 percent with the capture device's video proc amp before capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by brockway View Post
    I'm a newbie, but by comparing them, I believe it shows how the DMR-ES15 corrects tearing, described by LordSmurf as "one of the harshest line timing issues that exists" (source).
    Flagging (tearing) is a more extreme horizontal error at the top of the screen. Your screenshots show correction of typical waviness.

    Originally Posted by brockway View Post
    The ES15 also affects the colour as it reduces the red/magenta in the shot. I am curious if this is a pro or a con.
    Pro: Is it "removing or reducing chroma noise (the red/blue colored mist found in all VHS tape formats)" as described in the TBC FAQ on Line TBCs? Or if
    Con: Is a bad side effect as described here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11643-camcorder-line-tbc.html#ixzz7BLqLo4Hb
    I would say neither. The quote is referring to chroma DNR that's normally enabled at the same time as the internal line TBC on certain VCRs. And we can't call it a bad side effect since we don't know which saturation level is correct. As jagabo said, you can increase the saturation if desired.


    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    The ES15 clearly removed the flagging (aka wobbling, tearing) and the rainbows (what you referred to as color issue) thanks to reducing luma/chroma crosstalk by its internal 3D comb filter.
    brockway is running S-Video into and out of the ES15, so the 3D comb filter is not in use. I see rainbows in both versions (along the lady's glasses, for example).
    (Formerly vaporeon800)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    brockway is running S-Video into and out of the ES15, so the 3D comb filter is not in use. I see rainbows in both versions (along the lady's glasses, for example).
    Briefly checking the manuals of his gear you are probably right that brockway used S-video in and out, although he didn't explicitly mention it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Canada
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    brockway is running S-Video into and out of the ES15, so the 3D comb filter is not in use. I see rainbows in both versions (along the lady's glasses, for example).
    Briefly checking the manuals of his gear you are probably right that brockway used S-video in and out, although he didn't explicitly mention it.
    Yes. I used s-video in/out. Out of curiosity, what uses the 3D comb filter? composite?

    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you think the colors without the ES15 are more accurate you can easily adjust ES15 caps by increasing the saturation by about 15 percent with the capture device's video proc amp before capturing.
    Thank you for this suggestion. I tried increasing saturation by 15 and it provides a nice midway point between the colours with and without the ES15, which I *think* I like
    Quote Quote  
  7. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by brockway View Post
    Out of curiosity, what uses the 3D comb filter? composite?
    Yes; it's for separating luma & chroma. S-Video sends them on two separate wires while composite sends them combined on one wire.
    (Formerly vaporeon800)
    Quote Quote