VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    Does anybody can help with deblurring the license plate number of a white van?
    Two first letters are WR for sure, the last one is W as well. Need four digits inbetween.
    Authorites in my country arent helpful, so I'm trying find the number for my own, which I can provide do police later.
    This is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNSlW8rLiRk&feature=youtu.be

2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you upload an unaltered clip of the license plate that hasn't been uploaded to youtube?Youtube always re-encodes videos which reduce quality.You can upload up to 500mb here.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

Search Comp PM
    doesn't look like original video to me, some sort of screen capture.

[Attachment 55324 - Click to enlarge]

that has no video quality to work with, not a chance of a plate number.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303

4. Totally agree. Bandicam.com is a screen capture app. You have massively degraded the video by sharing it this way. 0.00% chance that you can recover anything if that is your only source. That screen capture is encoded with the ancient XVid codec, which makes it even worse.

Use VirtualDub in the "Direct Stream Copy" mode to cut out about 30-40 frames just before and just after the collision, when the trucks is closest to the camera.

5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the original video that came straight from the camera that took that video,if not as stated before there's no way to read the license plate due to lack of detail.

6. This is the orginal video straight from camera.
    Image Attached Files

7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like 8/0 241 for the numbers.The 0 could be an 8.

Search Comp PM
    sorry to disagree but there isn't a single frame that doesn't look intentionally blurred. just look at the 2 tail lights.

[Attachment 55353 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @OP

Out of curiosity, why didn't you post the last video with the best quality in the fist place? Hopefully you didn't give your insurance company and the authorities the first two, expecting them to accept it as proof. Chain of custody and proof of authenticity of the source is crucial in a criminal or personal lawsuit/claim.

Edit: Not a dig at johns0 and anyone who may offer a guess at the license numbers, but anyone's guess other than the insurance investigator or police is meaningless for a claim or lawsuit.

"But johns0 said it looked like 8241"!

"And who is johns0?"

"Well...he's a Super Moderator at videohelp.com!"

"Next case!"
    Last edited by lingyi; 8th Oct 2020 at 17:45.

Search Comp PM
    WR 024?M
    WR 024?W
    WR 824?M
    WR 824?W
    WR B24?M
    WR B24?W

There are about 10 frames before the van plate disappears behind the car, and 10 frames after it reappears, where the plate is partially readable.

WR _24__ are distinct and readable across multiple frames.
    0/8/B is extremely likely the 3rd character.
    That 6th character is unreadable, and was completely obscured by the car antenna. 1 and 3 are shaky guesses.
    W/M is extremely likely the last character.

Unlike a lot of VH "help me find license plate" videos, this has a high probability of being read. Between the known characters, probable characters, and make/model/color of the vehicle, tracking it down is extremely likely.

To do a better job, and try to further isolate characters, you'd have to stabilize and stack in Ikena. A law enforcement lab should have that tool to do the job. For court use, you'll need an accredited lab, with chain of custody. This non-official info is only good to show that retrieval is possible, and possibly find the perp through unofficial channels (ie, cop friend looking up plates).

Good luck.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

11. This is close enough that you might be able to get something. Suggest you try this product:

https://www.focusmagic.com/

Scroll down the page to see license plate examples.

12. I agree with lordsmurf frames 150-154 and 230-236 should show enough details so that law enforcement should be able to check against vehicle database to find the culprit.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555

13. There should be a “sticky” post for that sort of issues by now, considering how often such threads pop up (see “Similar threads” below), and the fact that the answers are almost invariably the same.
    Featuring of course this video :
    https://youtu.be/Vxq9yj2pVWk

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @OP are digit zeros in your country slashed on license plates? knowing this could help interpreting. a slashed zero could more readily look like an eight.

insurance does need to get the original camera video. if that's digital, all the better. police need it, too, if they need to work the case. lookups can be done in most license databases with partial numbers and vehicle description. usually other matching plates are different type or color.

what i would do next is crop the plate from every frame and turn them all to match. then, merge them in various ways to see what can be refocused or repixelated. since there is motion there should be more pixel positions available to boost the focus with (even though they are fat pixels).

15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread closed.