VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I thought I had everything figured out to find 7 tapes later there was an audio drift issue about 1 second delay at the end of a 2 hour tape.
    Days of testing later I come to find it's not a drift issue but a result of starting and stopping recording (camcorder) and is horrific if there is a gap in the recording like having perfect sync then a long 5 second gap, then 2 second delay.

I can start a recording, press play, and get the initial sync to be at various points because of where head sync catches the tape I guess.

So what gives??? How does this work? I've tried enabling and disabling all the sync settings to no avail.
    Why is this so difficult??? At least I figured out a solution to recording then encoding for archive in 30fps h264 interlaced format.

Virtual Dub
    x264 compression > interlaced
    PCM Audio
    disabled overlay
    disabled audio preview
    all variations of sync settings.

This VCR DVD burner combo with a broken burner (previous owner's cigarette tar on the lens) has all kinds of outputs including HDMI

Is there a difference if I try using S-Video? I'd try it but my cables are at my parent's house.
    I might check out the HDMI and see what format it puts out for VHS if it even goes through the HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Looks like the HDMI output is 480P 60 de-interlaced so it would be easy to capture and crop it with an HDMI capture card.
    I'm pretty sure 60p is a larger file than 60i so it's not as attractive but it's the format I was using previously before all this audio garbage.

I would still like your feedback about how the audio/video sync works and why it's linked to how the tape is recorded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub has a well know audio sync issue that develops over the course of the capture. I would suggest AmaRecTV 2.31 as the only replacement. It's what I switched to after I gave up on trying to fix Virtualdubs sync issues.

https://www.videohelp.com/download/amarectv231_en.zip
    Quote Quote  
  4. What's the model # of the VHS-DVD recorder combo?

I don't have much experience with them, but the Funai-based model at Vancouver's library operates differently in normal VCR playback mode (no digital correction is done) compared to Dubbing mode (may solve your issue with blank tape sections, but with side effects):
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374205-Weird-stuff-happening-during-VHS-to-DVD-transfer
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's often possible to change the hdmi ouput resolution and other settings, so maybe you'll be able to get 480i from it (keep in mind that a TV will deinterlace a 480i signal). Granted, not all VHS/Burner combos (e.g many JVCs) can output video on all outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    I would suggest AmaRecTV 2.31 as the only replacement.
    I second the recommendation for AmaRecTV, but is there a reason you recommend that specific version, rather than a more recent one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr Chris View Post
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    I would suggest AmaRecTV 2.31 as the only replacement.
    I second the recommendation for AmaRecTV, but is there a reason you recommend that specific version, rather than a more recent one?
    Pretty sure the newest version wants you to pay for it while the older version is just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Pretty sure the newest version wants you to pay for it while the older version is just fine.
    Oh, thanks - but I'm using 3.10 and haven't come across anything like that. (Hopefully I'm not in for a nasty surprise...) As long as there's no technical/stability reason, I'll stop worrying about it!
    Quote Quote