VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been looking for a way to actually do this, but haven't found any beginner-friendly tutorials on the subject matter after searching for hours.

1. My goal is to be able to use FFmpeg's h264_nvenc or hevc_nvenc on VirtualDub2 to speed up the encoding times drastically.
    2. I would also need to change the color format from YUV444 to YUV422 for GetDups plugin to be able to delete all the duplicate frames, but it seems that in FFmpeg commands, there is no settings to change the color format.

I have K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed, which includes ffmpeg encoders, which I used when I recorded my screen with OBS.
    Quote Quote  
  2. See this thread for some examples. Basically you first set up "Encoders" for video, audio and muxing (all 3 can be done by ffmpeg) in "Options"->"External Encoders", point the encoders to ffmpeg.exe, then combine them in an "Encoder Set". Once you loaded a file (e.g. AviSynth script) in VirtualDub you go "File"->"Export"->"Using external encoder". And that's pretty much it.

2. Note that the processing chain is: source -> AviSynth -> VirtualDub -> ffmpeg. Since ffmpeg comes after AviSynth it's too late to do the 444->422 conversion. You need to do that within AviSynth (or use a dedup plugin that supports 444, though I still don't understand why you need dedup in the first place ...) I think at least vanilla VirtualDub is limited to 420 output (but maybe VirtualDub2 can do more?). See the help that comes with VirtualDub (F1).

Originally Posted by pernicio View Post
    I have K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed, which includes ffmpeg encoders, which I used when I recorded my screen with OBS.
    I don't know what you mean by "ffmpeg encoders". Maybe ffdshow but that's not really recommended here. I think OBS comes with encoders built-in.
    To use ffmpeg via VirtualDub's "External Encoders" feature you need an ffmpeg binary (ffmpeg.exe), e.g. from zeranoe.

Note that there are easier options to encode AviSynth scripts using Nvidia hardware, e.g. StaxRip. They don't require you to download and setup everything manually.
    Last edited by sneaker; 20th Jan 2019 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by pernicio View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "ffmpeg encoders". Maybe ffdshow but that's not really recommended here. I think OBS comes with encoders built-in.
    To use ffmpeg via VirtualDub's "External Encoders" feature you need an ffmpeg binary (ffmpeg.exe), e.g. from zeranoe.
    Whoops, sorry, got those two mixed up I'll try the FFMpeg executables.

Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Note that there are easier options to encode AviSynth scripts using Nvidia hardware, e.g. StaxRip. They don't require you to download and setup everything manually.
    Thank you, this is a timesaver!
    Quote Quote  
  4. By the way, do you have any idea if GetDups would work with a nvidia hardware accelerated encoder? I'm currently encoding a RAW video with GetDups in use and it's taking ages.
    Quote Quote