VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy a VSO converter software :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So using my CCD-trv85 (bult in DNR + TBC), an iodata usb capture to amarec TV, Im comparing images uploaded with...

built in TBC on and DNR on,
    https://mega.nz/#!haRnDKyI!qpDcWZ852qoaRBS0Vmii3aGxzwuv9pY7msDC_96vwbM

built in TBC on and DNR off,
    https://mega.nz/#!0OBn3LKZ!g6UvVxWzZKvzTccMQ2fK2Z2WB62Sp55eO8H5Co-0jXs

built in TBC off and DNR off.
    https://mega.nz/#!VaYmVJza!s3UxKehsvgRwNICIr3Vbf5d5bx3SBJz24uPhEn7tC58

I cant tell a difference between any of them! This is one of the most recent tapes I have, maybe a 30 year old tape would show the differences more clearly. What do the experts think?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why has your video been resized vertically. You've ruined the interlacing and it can no longer be deinterlaced properly. It also makes it hard to tell how well the TBC is working and makes the other issues harder to see.

But... The time base on the tape/player is pretty clean. So the line TBC isn't improving it by much -- but it is helping. The NR circuit isn't doing a whole lot.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Why has your video been resized vertically. You've ruined the interlacing and it can no longer be deinterlaced properly. It also makes it hard to tell how well the TBC is working and makes the other issues harder to see.

But... The time base on the tape/player is pretty clean. So the line TBC isn't improving it by much -- but it is helping. The NR circuit isn't doing a whole lot.
    Wow thats impressive that you can tell that. I think I may have found the problem- in Sony Vegas 14 (just downloaded last night, still learning it) I spliced the sample from the raw amarectv avi, and when making a custom template, (using lagarith codec to keep it lossless) the pixel aspect ratio was set to .9091 so I assumed thats how it should be. Heres another sample when set to 1.00, I think the videos is fixed now.
    https://mega.nz/#!5bo3AI5Q!YUTwSwaw3vFkDIfgvPT_WF6p9ZtIBR6yxfcL577UqtQ

Obviously I wouldnt know when these videos look best if it hit me in the head!

Also heres a picture of my setting I believe was messed up.

As you can see Im using "NTSC DV" resolution, 720x480, but only because Im importing video in amarec TV as 720x480. It probably doesnt matter, but NTSC standard is 720x486. Should I be importing in that resolution because Im not using DV for anything? Or would that just make 6 more lines I dont need?

And should I upload even video8 films (which only have 240 lines) in that same resolution as well? Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by videon00b; 15th Jul 2017 at 00:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just realized I turn off the re-sampling setting in Vegas for those clips. Ill upload another set of samples with non-sampling and correct pixel ratio in a few hours.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by videon00b View Post
    It probably doesnt matter, but NTSC standard is 720x486.
    No it's not. Capture as 720x480 and import it as that. Or, better yet, learn some AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by videon00b View Post
    As you can see Im using "NTSC DV" resolution, 720x480, but only because Im importing video in amarec TV as 720x480. It probably doesnt matter, but NTSC standard is 720x486.
    The active picture in an analog NTSC signal is 485 lines -- half a line at the top, half a line at the bottom and 484 full scan lines in between. Computers like to in rectangular arrays so the two half lines become full lines, a total of 486. But almost all devices capture only the middle 480 lines now. That's what you want to use.

The sample in post #3 now has two distinct fields.

All your samples have been RGB. You should be capturing, saving, ahd uploading YUV 4:2:2 -- usually YUY2 or UYVY or whatever variation your capture device/drivers allow. That is closest to the analog signal and has a little headroom and footroom to help keep brights from blowing out and darks from getting crushed. The clouds in your caps are pegged at RGB=255 so there is probably some detail there that YUV would allow you to recover.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by videon00b View Post
    As you can see Im using "NTSC DV" resolution, 720x480, but only because Im importing video in amarec TV as 720x480. It probably doesnt matter, but NTSC standard is 720x486.
    The active picture in an analog NTSC signal is 485 lines -- half a line at the top, half a line at the bottom and 484 full scan lines in between. Computers like to in rectangular arrays so the two half lines become full lines, a total of 486. But almost all devices capture only the middle 480 lines now. That's what you want to use.

The sample in post #3 now has two distinct fields.

All your samples have been RGB. You should be capturing, saving, ahd uploading YUV 4:2:2 -- usually YUY2 or UYVY or whatever variation your capture device/drivers allow. That is closest to the analog signal and has a little headroom and footroom to help keep brights from blowing out and darks from getting crushed. The clouds in your caps are pegged at RGB=255 so there is probably some detail there that YUV would allow you to recover.
    What do you mean by my video has 2 distinct fields? I assume thats a good thing, but what fields are they? (are they the horizontal lines being interlaced in every other frame?)

Edit: I just realized when I was rendering my videos that I hadnt configured the coloring to be YUY2 instead of RGB in the advanced options. As I thought, my incompetence with Vegas was the problem. I believe this video sample is properly colored at 4:2:2 now, (with 1.0 pixels and re-sampling disabled too) is that right? Thanks a lot. https://mega.nz/#!ZLIj2ACS!DBW4qF2hq5k83QO0gun6xllPsXeaDMI7FZH8rt9IssY

And how do you know where my caps are pegged at, what software are you using? Thanks. I think I need to straighten this out before I get more samples comparing TBC.
    Last edited by videon00b; 15th Jul 2017 at 20:10.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by videon00b View Post
    And how do you know where my caps are pegged at, what software are you using?
    Are you asking how to determine the colorspaces involved? I used a simple AviSynth script, although there are lots of ways. For the first RGB32 pic the script used was:

AviSource("1 TBC DNR ONavi.avi")
    Info()

For the second YUY2 pic the script used was:

AviSource("lossless.avi")
    Info()

The Info command provides lots of sometimes useful information. MediaInfo can provide the colorspace of the video as well, as can other apps and programs. Here's what MediaInfo had to say about the same RGB video:

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : H:\Test\1 TBC DNR ONavi.avi
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    File size                                : 142 MiB
    Duration                                 : 13 s 347 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 89.3 Mb/s
    TCOD                                     : 0
    TCDO                                     : 133466666

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : Lagarith
    Codec ID                                 : LAGS
    Bit rate                                 : 87.6 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2
    Frame rate                               : 29.970 FPS
    Standard                                 : NTSC
    Color space                              : RGB
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 8.454
    Stream size                              : 139 MiB (98%)

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness              : Little
    Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
    Codec ID                                 : 1
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Stream size                              : 2.44 MiB (2%)
    Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration                     : 247  ms (7.41 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration             : 250  ms
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	42335  

Click image for larger version

Name:	YUY2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	42336  

Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by videon00b View Post
    What do you mean by my video has 2 distinct fields?
    A frame of interlaced video consists of two half-pictures, called fields. One field occupies all the even scanlines, the other all the odd scanlines (a scanline is one horizontal line of pixels). The two fields, represent two different points in time, separated by 1/60 second in NTSC video. Ie, they are two different pictures. In you're earlier samples the two fields were partially blended together so that neither field could be extracted as a separate image. In the latest video the two fields are intact so they can be viewed and manipulated properly. So, yes, this is a good thing.

And how do you know where my caps are pegged at, what software are you using? Thanks. I think I need to straighten this out before I get more samples comparing TBC.
    I viewed them with a waveform monitor in AviSynth. Vegas has a similar tool. But I don't know if it will work correctly with your Lagarith encoded videos.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340804-colorspace-conversation-elaboration#post2121568
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Jul 2017 at 23:06.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ah I see. Thanks for explaining it guys. I will quit messing with Vegas for now and just focus on getting these videos digitized. Looks like its time to learn some avisynth as well.

Would you say that a script like this is still relevant for 8mm home videos? https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144271 Thank you
    Last edited by videon00b; 16th Jul 2017 at 23:48.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What do you mean by my video has 2 distinct fields?
    A frame of interlaced video consists of two half-pictures, called fields. One field occupies all the even scanlines, the other all the odd scanlines (a scanline is one horizontal line of pixels). The two fields, represent two different points in time, separated by 1/60 second in NTSC video. Ie, they are two different pictures. In you're earlier samples the two fields were partially blended together so that neither field could be extracted as a separate image. In the latest video the two fields are intact so they can be viewed and manipulated properly. So, yes, this is a good thing.

I viewed them with a waveform monitor in AviSynth. Vegas has a similar tool. But I don't know if it will work correctly with your Lagarith encoded videos.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340804-colorspace-conversation-elaboration#post2121568
    What codec would you reccomend over Lagarith?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What codec would you reccomend over Lagarith?
    HuffYUV, should be perfect for what you are setting out to do. It's a compressed lossless codec, so there should be no problems with loss in quality. Compared to Lagarith I believe that it offers greater compression also.

As stated above also, you will need to configure your capture device properly to stop recording in RGB and start using YUY2 if you plan on using HuffYUV.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Polsom View Post

HuffYUV, should be perfect for what you are setting out to do. It's a compressed lossless codec, so there should be no problems with loss in quality. Compared to Lagarith I believe that it offers greater compression also.
    Actually lagarith offers higher compression than huffyuv

Part of the problem he is having is vegas doesn't treat "lossless" YUV codecs as YUV . They are not lossless in vegas. They get converted using "computer RGB" instead of "studio RGB" , which means values 0-15, 236-255 get clipped . Even if there wasn't clipping or if all his values were "legal" , there would still be colorspace losses from converting YUV to RGB
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Polsom View Post
    Compared to Lagarith I believe that it offers greater compression also.
    That's not correct. Lagarith compresses at least 10 percent better and usually more.
    Quote Quote  
  15. In my experience with SD captures, Lagarith gives the best compression of HuffYUV, UT Video and MagicYUV (v1.2 Free). Any of these should be perfectly fine for you as they're all lossless, and unless you're going to be capturing on a single-core relic or a newer, hugely under-powered (but cheap) Laptop or off-the-shelf "Manager's Special" PC then none of them should cause issues with dropped frames etc. I tend to capture using Lagarith because I capture on a different PC than the one I edit and process on, so smaller files are better for storing and copying onto external drive for transfer to the other PC, but it's not a massive saving in space. Having said that, running an Avisynth script through HCEnc on my ageing Intel Core2-Quad desktop, MagicYUV files tend to encode around 12% faster than Lagarith files. (I think UT Video files process around the same speed as MagicYUV files.) For a good compromise between size and speed I'd probably recommend UT Video if only because it's still being developed so, hopefully, should get even better.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Lagarith usually gets better compression than Huffyuv. But it's slower. If you find your computer starts dropping frames while capturing you should try Huffyuv instead. Or UT Video Codec.

The other issue, which I made reference to above, is the way Vegas handles various input codecs. With some it converts YUV to RGB right away with a rec.601 matrix. When that happens you lose superbrights (Y>235) and superdarks (Y<16) and you get them back via its filtering. I suspect this is what happened with your earlier Lagarith YUV sample -- the bright sky was clipped at Y=235. You may be able to avoid this problem by adjusting your capture device's video proc amp so that there are no superbrights or superdarks to get crushed. Note that proper rec.601 video should have full black at Y=16 and full white at Y=235. There should not be any significant contente below Y=16 or above Y=235 (a little noise or oversharpening halos etc. is ok).

Attached is a Lagarith AVI with a test pattern with superdarks and superbrights you can use for testing. See if you can bring out any details in the 0-15 and 235-255 bars with Vegas.

This post has an MPEG version of the same pattern:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374734-Superblacks-and-superwhites-question#post2414529

And this one a DV version:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326496-file-in-Virtualdub-has-strange-colors-when-...ed#post2022085
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote