VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    H.264 can look better than both as an end user playback format since it's more efficient for the same file size or the same bitrate, A lossless option can also be used and you can do 4:2:2 with h.264.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Why not H.265?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    H.264 can look better than both as an end user playback format since it's more efficient for the same file size or the same bitrate
    Sure, but we were talking about "archival format"

A lossless option can also be used and you can do 4:2:2 with h.264.
    For analog capture is not ideal because higher cpu usage and less compatibility with video software, compared to "standard" lossless codec.

Why not H.265?
    Not for capturing/archival purposes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And the OP did not once responded back to any of the answers !
    And was hi-jacked by VHS-Heaven...
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 14th Apr 2023 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    No, That's terrible and time consuming idea, MPEG-2 compression while good for quick playback it is not an archival format just like DV.
    But still better than what he wants to do.

You missed the word "postprocessing on PC".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I try to find a device with TBC. Line TBC would be OK for me. Here in Greece it is totally impossible to find TBC for a reasonable price or at all.

So, I am in search of a miniDV camera or DVD-recorder with line TBC. Is there any link with a list of models having TBC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VHS-Heaven View Post
    I try to find a device with TBC. Line TBC would be OK for me. Here in Greece it is totally impossible to find TBC for a reasonable price or at all.

So, I am in search of a miniDV camera or DVD-recorder with line TBC. Is there any link with a list of models having TBC?
    i guess you're looking for something like this, LS can sum up the minus points for ya
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...15-DMR-ES25%29
    i have very good experiences with my ES35V PAL model, recently i found out the NTSC version (without SCART) has same VHS refresh feature.
    defects other peopLe Say it has, i can't see, so fine by me
    miniDV can also be an option because you're in a PAL region and have no NTSC recordings…. and can use DV/iLink/Firewire for that
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 14th Apr 2023 at 21:30.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I have trouble finding a minidv camera with AV inputs to use it to digitize through ilink or AV out (passthrough). I am searching everywhere online.

I am located in Europe, Greece.

I am also looking for Panasonic DVD recorders mentioned here but the closest match is this:

https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/314786673_5467481390030541_2842308...9A&oe=6443CDC1

Panasonic DMR-E50

Not to be confused with other similarly named models from Panasonic (unless they are the same with differences such as with HDD or not etc)

Can someone verify that the model above has a good line TBC that can be used as pass-through?

I also have a working DVD recorder "United DVR7081". This is 100% rebranded . It is in working condition. I opened the metal case and found inside LSI LOGIC IC DMN-8603

datasheet:
    https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/514544/LSILogic/DMN-8603/1

I remember reading somewhere that those ICs fixed a lot of VHS signal issues but I never found confirmation that they have line TBC.

Could someone tell me if this DVD recorder has line TBC?

no mention of TBC on the datasheet
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230418_183856.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	4.03 MB
ID:	70407  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230418_183956.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	4.89 MB
ID:	70408  

Name:	IMG_20230418_184008.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	5.04 MB
ID:	70409  

Name:	IMG_20230418_184056.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	4.79 MB
ID:	70410  

Name:	IMG_20230418_184105.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	70411  

Name:	IMG_20230418_184117.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	4.76 MB
ID:	70412  

Name:	IMG_20230418_184132.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	4.98 MB
ID:	70413  

Quote Quote  
  9. The LSI Logic DoMiNo chips like the one in that machine doesn't do anything with signal issues - that's up to whatever video decoder chip it's paired with. What they do have is some pretty decent noise reduction as part of the mpeg2 encoding process but that's only relevant if you are recording to dvds (and it seems mainly do stuff at lower bit rates too.) I had a similar generic brand dvd-recorder (though a model with HDD as well that's probably 2-3 years older) using similar ICs and setup and that one seemed prone to loosing image sync and didn't stabilize jitter much so don't think it will help all that much. I have another one sitting around but haven't tested that one. Both had blown capacitors as well (on the first model it was the large 400v one that had completely blown and made a hole in the pcb even.)

The ability to ingest video and output via firewire directly was disabled in firmware on camcorders sold in the European market due to some tax reason so might be difficult to find.

Don't know about that exact panasonic though at least other PAL panasonics from the time seem to help with jitter as shown in e.g the sticky panasonic dvd-recorder thread so unless it's radically different to other models it ought to at least help a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    That's really a shame. But maybe I could use mini dv camera as pass through from AV IN to AV OUT?

According to this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...-ES25%29/page4

Panasonic DMR-E50 is actually older and useless as it doesn't have line TBC
    Quote Quote  
  11. miniDV camcorders usually only have a shared analog in/out port so that won't normally be possible.

If you mean the list it only shows whether TBC was an advertised feature, doesn't mean that the ones that doesn't say TBC in that list lack stabilizing features. There are examples of the e.g E55 and HS2 correcting jitter in some threads here and else even though it doesn't say TBC, haven't seen any of the E50 specifically. (Also certain posters tend to label pretty much every model but the ES10 and ES15 useless even though examples and tests contradict that.)

If you can't find any other panasonics besides the E50 locally there are other options that can do a decent job like Pioneer DVR-_30 and newer pioneers and Sony dvd-recorders that share internals with them such as the RDR-HX750.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you I didn't know that. So, it might be better to focus on getting a DVD recorder with TBC. I might contact the seller and ask him if I can test it before buying but he will probably deny.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Hello again, this list is perfect:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...=1#post2669328

and this add on list too:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...e4#post2669712

I am looking for a similar list with miniDV/digital 8 camcorders with analog to DV or analog passthrough with TBC.

I searched the site and didn't find anything like the DVD recorder lists above.

Any help please?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a list here, last posted-on within the last couple of years, but finding it is... a nightmare and I can't find it at the moment.

Here's one I found covering D8 cameras from a while ago:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355121-List-of-Sony-Handycam-Digital8-camcorders-w...gital-passthru

You'll need to dive into the manuals for the TBC info but as AV>DV requires a complete conversion, I suspect that TBC-like processes are applied to the stream when outputting DV whenever passthrough is allowed (I could be wrong though!).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you so much. I found some pal models locally at a reasonable price but there is absolutely no mention in the manual or on the internet that any sort of TBC is applied in the analog to dv conversion
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I found Sony DCR-PC115E used for a reasonable price. Is there any way to know before buying whether the unit has TBC or not?

I checked the manual and it definitely states that you can use the camcorder to convert analog from AV in / S-Video in to DV out.

But how can I find about its TBC capabilities?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    TBC is a big feature, so it is usually advertised somewhere on a camcorder itself of in the manual. But be warned, some (many? all?) Digital 8 camcorders with passthrough use TBC only when playing analog tapes in the camcorder itself, and do not apply TBC for the analog signal being sent via passthrough. I suggest double checking the particular model you are about to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    @VHS-Heaven, No, miniDV camcorders don't have TBC, Sorry to rain in your parade, They have some sort of video buffer required by the ADC on an analog input if they are equiped with analog passthrough but it is not like what a line TBC in an ES10/15 does, mere frame buffer for synchronizing audio to video.
    Quote Quote